IIT Council's Green/Sustainable Agenda for Educational Institutions
(Ref- MHRD letter, DO No. 1-11/2013TS-1(Sectt.) dated 05-06-2013)
- -IITs being the premier institutions, have to play a lead role in implementing the Green / Sustainability Agenda in
the country by adopting and implementing programmes to reduce their Carbon footprint, recycle the resources,
adopt energy efficient measures and include sustainability issues in the teaching programme.
- -The Council of IITs decided that each IIT would establish a Green Office, which would carry out a Green Audit of
its curriculum and its institutional management practices, such as energy, water, waste, construction projects,
natural resource (forest, water etc.) and conservation of bio-diversity.
- -It was suggested to implement the greening agenda in a phased manner, but to be initiated at the earliest.
The Green office could be located in the Institute’s existing department/Centre concerned with sustainable
development/climate engineering so that technical resource support is available.
- -It could set up a working-group drawn from active faculty/students interested and working on this agenda to
create a participatory, transparent process with ownership. It should also involve different department
representatives to reflect it’s inter-disciplinary and inter dependent concerns. It should also involve external
experts from different agencies/ offices/ other organisations engaged meaningfully and constructively with
concerns for a green environment.
- Key responsibilities of Green Office:
- -Develop green policy (vision document) and framework for the institute.
- -Facilitate and undertake Greening initiatives.
- Phase 1 : Develop a baseline scenario for the institute (data and info on CO2 emissions, water use, waste
generation, carbon footprint, paper use, etc.)
- Phase 2 : Development of green technology packages (installation of SPV, wind mill, waste to energy, rain water
harvesting, paper recycling, etc).
- Phase 3 : Implementation of Green Action Plan in phased manner.
- Phase 4 : Monitoring, Reporting, Verification and Evaluation.
- Phase 5 : Mainstreaming Green Agenda in Education and Teaching.