National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning), is a joint venture of the IITs and IISc, funded by the Ministry of Education (MoE) Government of India, and was launched in 2003.
Initially started as a project to take quality education to all corners of the country, to provide quality education to anyone interested in learning from the IITs. The main goal was to create web and video courses in all major branches of engineering and physical sciences at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and management courses at the postgraduate level.
NPTEL now offers close to 600+ courses for certification every semester in about 22 disciplines.
- Largest online repository in the world of courses in engineering, basic sciences and selected humanities and management subjects.
- YouTube channel for NPTEL – most subscribed educational channel, 1.3 billion views and 40+ lakhs subscribers.
- More than 56000 hours of video content, transcribed and subtitled.
- Most accessed library of peer-reviewed educational content in the world.
- Translation of more than 12000 hrs of English transcripts in regional Indian languages.
IIT Roorkee is one of the eight institutions involved in
the MHRD funded project on “National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning” (NPTEL). The aim of the project is to improve the educational standard in
all engineering institutions across the country. The project envisages design, development, delivery & evaluation of web-based courses and video courses.
The first, second and third phase of the project is already over. The courses are already freely available at NPTEL website at IIT Madras.
After successfully completion 1st, 2nd and 3rd phase, Now move to 4th phase in which open online course will be offered through the portal
https://swayam.gov.in/NPTEL along the line of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses).
The course will be for undergraduate/postgraduate students of technical university/college.
Each course is followed by an in-person proctored exam conducted in select cities all over the country.
While enrollment to the course and learning is free, the exam has a registration fee to cover the operational costs.
Students who register and write the exam will receive a certificate from Centre for Continuing Education of the institute offering the online course.
The duration of the course offered can be of 3 types: 10 hours (4 weeks), 20 hours (8 weeks) & 30 hours (12 weeks).
The course runs are being aligned to the semesters of the colleges and it is suggested to have 2 runs per year: Jan-May and July-November.
Following schedule is suggested:
- 30-hours courses: Jan-April & July-October.
- 20-hours courses: Jan-March & July-September.
- 10-hours courses (2 sets each): Feb & April; July & September.
NPTEL began the initiative of offering certification to students for courses in March 2014. The process of certification is as follows.
- Subject Matter Experts (SME - faculty from IITs or partner institutes with input from industry) create recorded video content for courses.
- The course is uploaded on the portal and opened for enrollments, which is free.
- Every week, about 3 hrs of video content is released along with an assignment , which is evaluated and provides the student with a score.
- Teaching Assistants (TAs) and the faculty members support the discussion forum – answering questions and clearing doubts.
- If someone wants to get a certificate from the IITs/IISc after doing the course, he/she should register for the in-person proctored certification exam that is conducted in 170+ cities across India and in select cities outside India too in collaboration with an exam partner. For learners in many other countries looking to get certified, online remote proctored exams are also administered. The certification exam is not free but has a nominal fee of Rs 1000.
- A learner will pass and be certified only if Average assignment score (out of 100) >= 40 AND Final exam score ( out of 100) >= 40. E-verifiable certificates are made available inside the candidate login. Only e-certificates will be published. Hard copies of certificates will NOT be printed. The pass criteria depends on the courses. The above mentioned is applicable for most of the courses but for those courses which have non proctored programming exams and for courses in other disciplines, the pass criteria may be different.
- These certificates are envisioned for use in credit transfer to universities or for making the student more employable or for enhancing their growth in their current place of work.
For more details please visit to: http://nptel.ac.in