Areas of Interest
- Advanced Thermomechanical Processing of Steels and Titanium Alloys, Damage Evaluation of Metals and Alloys, Tailor and Design of Steel Microstructure and their Mechanical responses, Fatigue Behaviour of Titanium Alloys, Electron Microscopy, Precipitation kinetics, Crystallographic texture
|2009-01-01||1 year||Graduate Engineer Trainee||Vedanta Aluminium Limited, Jharsuguda, Odisha|
|2017-01-01||1 year||National Post Doctoral Fellow||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore|
|2018-01-01||1 year||Assistant Professor||National Institute of Technology, Warangal|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Officer in Charge||Metallography Laboratory, MMED, IITR|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Additional Officer in Charge||Thermo-mechanical Simulator (Gleeble 3800-R), MMED, IITR|
Honors and Awards
|INSPIRE FACULTY AWARD by Department of Science and Technology (DST)||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||2018|
|NATIONAL POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP by Science and Engineering research Board (SERB)||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||2017|
|Bachelor of Engineering||Metallurgy and Materials Engineering||Bengal Engineering & Science University, Shibpur||2009|
|Master of Science||Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||2012|
|Doctor of Philosophy||Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||2017|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Development of rare earth added steels for application of different temperature domains||Department of Science and Technology||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Influence of V and Nb addition on the heat affected zone (HAZ) softening in microalloyed steels||FIG-Faculty Initiation Grant, IIT Roorkee||2019-01||Ongoing|
- Indian Institute of Metals (IIM), Life Member-No.57298
- Association for Iron and Steel Technology (AIST), Member-No.185546
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|X Ray Diffraction and Electron Microscopy||MM-401||4th Year, B. Tech. Metallurgy (NITW)||Autumn|
|X Ray Diffraction and Electron Microscopy Laboratory||MM-404||4th Year, B. Tech. Metallurgy (NITW)||Autumn|
|Introduction to Materials||MM-5111||1st Year M Tech. (Materials Technology & Industrial Metallurgy) (NITW)||Autumn|
|Electrical and Electronics Materials||MTN-105||2nd Year, B. Tech. Electrical||Autumn|
|Materials Science||MTN-106||1st Year, B. Tech. Mechanical||Spring|
Research Scholar Groups
|Kadgaye Chetan Radhesham||Development of Rare Earth added Steels|
|Rajiv Rana||Friction Stir Processing of Aluminium Alloys|
|Kapil Sharma||Hydrogen Embrittlement in Llinepipe Graded Steels|
|Godase Santosh||Anisotropy in Steels|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada||International Conference (PTM 2015)||2015-01-01|
|University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA||International Conference (MS&T 2016)||2016-01-01|
Book name: High Performance Ferrous Materials
Chapter Name: Microalloyed Steels
Authors: Sourav Das, Anish Karmakar, Shiv Brat Singh
Publisher: Springer Nature
Publication Date: March, 2020
Refereed Journal Papers
• A. Karmakar, M. Ghosh, D. Chakrabarti, “Cold-rolling and inter-critical annealing of low-carbon steel: effect of initial microstructure and heating-Rate”, Materials Science & Engineering A, Vol. 564 (2013), pp. 389–399.
• A. Karmakar, A. Karani, S. Patra, D. Chakrabarti, “Development of bimodal ferrite-grain structures in low-carbon steel using rapid intercritical annealing”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 44A (2013), pp. 2041-2052.
• A. Karmakar, D. Chakrabarti, “Comparison between conventional annealing and rapid-transformation annealing of low-carbon steel’, International Journal of Metallurgical Engineering, Vol. 2 (2) (2013), pp. 137-141.
• A. Karmakar, R. D. K. Misra, S. Neogy, D. Chakrabarti, “Development of ultrafine-grained dual-phase steels: mechanism of grain refinement during intercritical deformation”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. A 44 (9) (2013), pp. 4106-4118.
• A. Karmakar, S. Sivaprasad, S. K. Nath, R. D. K. Misra, D. Chakrabarti “Comparison between different processing schedules for the development of ultrafine-grained dual-phase steel”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 45 (5) (2013), pp. 2466-2479.
• A. Karmakar, R. D. K. Misra, S. Neogy, D. Chakrabarti “ Development of ultra-fine grained dual-phase steels: mechanism of grain refinement during inter-critical deformation”, Materials Science Forum, Vol. 783 (2014), pp. 674-678.
• A. Karmakar, S. Sivaprasad, S. Kundu, D. Chakrabarti, “Tensile behavior of ferrite-carbide and ferrite-martensite steels with different ferrite grain structures”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 45 (4) (2013), pp. 1659-1664.
• A. Karmakar, S. Kundu, S. Roy, S. Neogy, D. Srivastava, D Chakrabarti, “Effect of microalloying elements on austenite grain growth in Nb-Ti and Nb-V steels”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 30 (6) (2014), pp. 653-664.
• S. Roy, A. Karmakar, S. Mukherjee, S. Kundu, D. Srivastava, D. Chakrabarti “Effect of starting microstructure on austenite grain sizes developed after reheating of HSLA steel”, Materials Science and Technology, Vol. 30 (10) (2014), pp. 1142-1153.
• A. Karmakar, M. Mandal, A. Mandal, MB Sk, S. Mukherjee, D. Chakrabarti “Effect of starting microstructure on the grain refinement in cold-rolled low-carbon steel during annealing at two different heating rates”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 47 (1) (2016), pp. 268-281.
• C. Halder, A. Karmakar, Sk. Md. Hasan, D. Chakrabarti, M. Pietrzyk, N. Chakraborti “Effect of carbon distribution during the microstructure evolution of dual phase steels studied using cellular automata, genetic algorithms and experimental strategies”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 47 (12) (2016), pp. 5890-5906.
• A. Karmakar, P. Sahu, S. Neogy, D. Chakrabarti, R. Mitra, S. Mukherjee, S. Kundu “ Effect of cooling rate and chemical composition on microstructure and properties of naturally cooled vanadium-microalloyed steels”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 48 (4) (2017), pp. 1581-1595.
• A. Karmakar, S. Biswas, S. Mukherjee, D. Chakrabarti, Vinod Kumar “ Effect of composition and thermo-mechanical processing schedule on the microstructure, precipitation and strengthening of Nb-microalloyed steel”, Materials Science & Engineering A, Vol. 690 (2017), pp. 158–169.
• A. Karmakar, S. Mukherjee, S. Kundu, D. Srivastava, R. Mitra, D. Chakrabarti “Effect of composition and isothermal holding temperature on the precipitation hardening in Vanadium-microalloyed steels”, Materials Characterization, Vol. 132 (2017), pp. 31– 40.
• A. Karmakar, M. Mandal, D. Chakrabarti “Development of different novel microstructures in low-carbon steel by thermomechanical processing and their properties”, IIM Metal News, Vol. 20 (7) (2017), pp. 12-19.
• A. Mandal, A. Karmakar, D. Chakrabarti, C. Davis “Effect of alloying and coiling temperature on the microstructure and bending performance of ultra-high-strength strip steel”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, Vol. 49 (12) (2018), pp. 6359-6374.
• A Bhattacharya, A. Karmakar, A. Karani, M. Ghosh, D. Chakrabarti “Processing of ultrafine-grained steels by warm rolling and annealing”, Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, Vol. 28 (2) (2019), pp. 753-768.
• R. Pradhan, A. Karmakar, M. Ghosh, D. Chakrabarti, S. Mukherjee "Effect of thermomechanical processing on microstructural evolution in precipitation strengthened ferrite steel", SN Applied Sciences, Vol. 1(7) (2019), pp. 663.
• A. Karmakar, K. Barat "Effect of elasto-plastic compatibility of grains on void-initialtion criteria in low-carbon steel", Philosophical Magazine Letters, Vol. 99(7) (2019), pp. 261-273.