Debashis Ghosh Professor email@example.com
Areas of Interest
- Communication Systems & Signal Processing, Cognitive radio & Sensor networks, Image & video processing, Computer vision & pattern recognition
|1999-01-01||DAAD Research Fellow||University of Kaiserslautern, Germany|
|2000-01-01||6 years||Assistant Professor||IIT Guwahati|
|1999-01-01||1 year||Senior Lecturer||IIT Guwahati|
|2003-01-01||1 year||Visiting Faculty||NUS, Singapore|
|2006-01-01||2 years||Senior Lecturer||Multimedia University, Malaysia|
|2008-01-01||7 years||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2016-01-01||Ongoing||Head of the Department||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||2 years||Chairman, DAPC||IIT Roorkee|
|2012-01-01||4 years||Convenor, Communication Systems Group||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||Ongoing||Member-expert, Railtel-IITR Center of Excellence in Telecomm.||IIT Roorkee|
|2012-01-01||Ongoing||Dy. Chief Advisor, Cultural Council||IIT Roorkee|
|2006-01-01||2 years||Asstt. Program Coordinator, Bio-instrumentation||Multimedia University, Malaysia|
|2006-01-01||2 years||Member, Academic & Corporate Planning Committee||Multimedia University, Malaysia|
|2006-01-01||2 years||Member, Joint Industrial Training Program Committee||Multimedia University, Malaysia|
|2007-01-01||1 year||Elected Member, Cluster Committee for Academic Promotion||Multimedia University, Malaysia|
|2006-01-01||Chairman, Students' Cultural Board||IIT Guwahati|
|2002-01-01||1 year||Faculty Advisor, Techniche||IIT Guwahati|
Honors and Awards
|Excellence in Teaching||Multimedia University, Malaysia||2007|
|B.E.||Electro. & Comm. Engg.||MNIT (erstwhile MREC), Jaipur||1993|
|M.Sc. (Engg.)||Elec. Comm. Engg.||IISc, Bangalore||1996|
|Ph.D.||Elec. Comm. Engg.||IISc, Bangalore||2000|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Omni-directional night surveillance system||UNITELE, Malaysia||2007-01||13 years 7 months|
|Sign language recognitin for deaf communication||IITR||2009-01||11 years 7 months|
|Automatic biometric verification using image processing techniques||Newgen Software Technologies Pvt. Ltd.||2014-01||6 years 7 months|
|Agricultural Information Systems for ICT||Railtel-IITR Center||2014-01||Ongoing|
- IEEE, Member
- IEEE Communication Society, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Information & Communication Theory||EC 512||M.Tech (Comm). - I yr.||Autumn|
|Coding Theory & Applications||EC 515||M.Tech (Comm). - I yr.||Spring|
|Advanced Digital Communication Techniques||EC-516||M.Tech (Comm). - I yr.||Spring|
|Speech & Image Processing||EC 518||M.Tech (Comm). - I yr.||Spring|
|Adaptive Signal Processing Techniques||EC 614||M.Tech (Comm). - I yr.||Spring|
|Digital Signal Processing & Applications||EC 411||B.Tech. (ECE) - IV yr.||Autumn|
|Digital Image Processing||EC-316||B.Tech. (ECE) - III yr.||Spring|
|Signals & Systems||EC 202||B.Tech. (ECE) - II yr.||Spring|
|Fundamentals of Electronics||EC 102||B.Tech. - I yr.||Autumn|
Research Scholar Groups
|Prateek Dolas||Communication systems, Wireless Sensor Networks, Green communication|
|Manoranjan Rai Bharti||Communication systems, Wireless communication, Cognitive radio|
|Kamlesh Verma||Signal, image & video processing, Video surveillance|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Vision based dynamic hand gesture recognition for human computer interaction||Manas Kamal Bhuyan||O||2002-01|
|Text extraction in degraded and stylistic documents||Brijmohan Singh||O||2009-01|
|Application of fuzzy logic and PSO in some image processing and analysis methods||Ajay Khunteta||O||2010-01|
|Non-invasive detection of human vital signs using concurrent dual-band RF sensor||Brijesh Iyer||O||2011-01|
|Mobile vision system for plant leaf analysis||Shitala Prasad||O||2011-01|
|Adaptive techniques for cyclostationary spectrum sensing in cognitive radios||Ribhu||O||2012-01|
|Energy efficient communication for wireless sensor networks||Prateek Dolas||O||2011-01|
|Resource allocation for wireless communication systems||Manoranjan Rai||O||2014-01|
|Target detection and tracking in video surveillance||Kamlesh Verma||O||2014-01|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany||DAAD Research visit||2020-08-31|
“Communication system for distribution automation,” Power Distribution Automation, Chapter 1, ed. B. Das, publ: Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), London, UK (in press).
Refereed Journal Papers
- D. Ghosh and A. P. Shivaprasad, “Fast codeword search algorithm for real time codebook generation in adaptive VQ,” IEE Proceedings - Visual, Image and Signal Processing, vol. 144, no. 5, pp. 278 – 284, October 1997.
- D. Ghosh and A. P. Shivaprasad, “Possibilistic clustering in Kohonen networks for vector quantization,” IEEE-CS Newsletter looking.forward, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 9 – 11, Spring 1997.
- D. Ghosh and A. P. Shivaprasad, “An analytic approach for generation of artificial handprinted character database from given generative models,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 907 – 920, June 1999 (publ: Elsevier Science).
- D. Ghosh and A. P. Shivaprasad, “Handwritten script identification using possibilistic approach for cluster analysis,” Journal of the Indian Institute of Science, vol. 80, pp. 215 – 224, May-June 2000.
- P. N. Swamy, I. Chakrabarti and D. Ghosh, “An architecture for motion estimation using one-dimensional hierarchical search block matching algorithm,” IEE Proceedings – Computers and Digital Techniques, vol. 149, no. 5, pp. 229 – 239, September 2002.
- M.K. Bhuyan, D. Ghosh and P.K. Bora, “Hand motion tracking and trajectory matching for dynamic hand gesture recognition,” Journal of Experimental & Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 435 – 447, December 2006 (publ: Taylor & Francis).
- K.V.N. Poleswara Rao and D. Ghosh, “HMM based recognition of facial expressions via facial motion tracking,” International Journal of Tomography & Statistics, vol. 5, no. AI107, pp. 1 – 5, 2007 (publ: Indian Society for Development and Environment Research).
- V. Verma and D. Ghosh, “Synthesis and animation of dynamic hand gestures for sign language generation,” Journal of Intelligent Systems, vol. 17, no. 1 – 4, pp. 173 – 183, 2008 (publ: Freund & Pettman, UK).
- E.E.A. Abusham, A.T.B. Jin, W.E. Kiong and Debashis G., “Face recognition based on nonlinear feature approach,” American Journal of Applied Sciences, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 574 – 580, 2008 (publ: Science Publications, USA).
- M.K. Bhuyan, P.K. Bora and D. Ghosh, “Trajectory guided recognition of hand gestures having only global motions,” International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 222 – 233, Spring 2008 (publ: World Academy of Science, Engineering & Technology).
- D. Ghosh, T. Dube and A.P. Shivaprasad, “Script recognition – a review,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis & Machine Intelligence, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 2142 – 2161, December 2010.
- M.K. Bhuyan, P.K. Bora and D. Ghosh, “An integrated approach to recognition of a wide class of continuous hand gestures”, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 227 – 252, March 2011 (publ: World Scientific).
- B.M. Singh, A. Mittal, M.A. Ansari and D. Ghosh, “Handwritten Devanagari word recognition: A curvelet transform based approach,” International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1658 – 1665, April 2011 (publ: Engg Journal Publication).
- B.M. Singh, N. Gupta, R. Tyagi, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “Parallel implementation of Devanagari text line and word segmentation approach on GPU,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 7 – 14, June 2011 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- B.M. Singh, R. Sharma, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “Parallel implementation of Otsu’s binarization approach on GPU,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 16 – 21, October 2011 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- B.M. Singh, R. Sharma, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “Parallel implementation of Niblak’s binarization approach on CUDA,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 22 – 27, October 2011 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- B.M. Singh, R. Sharma, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “Parallel implementation of Souvola’s binarization approach on GPU,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 28 – 33, October 2011 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- B.M. Singh, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “An evaluation of different feature extractors and classifiers for offline handwritten Devnagari character recognition,” Journal of Pattern Recognition and Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 269 – 277, 2011.
- B.M. Singh, V. Chand, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “Text line extraction from complex layout documents,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 36 – 43, November 2011 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- R.N. Dubey, V. Gunnala and D. Ghosh, “Performance evaluation of error resilience techniques in H.264 / AVC standard,” International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 45, no. 8, pp. 33 – 39, May 2012 (publ: Foundation of Computer Science, USA).
- Shitala Prasad, Sateesh K. Peddoju and Debashis Ghosh, “AgroMobile: A cloud-based framework for agriculturists on mobile platform,” International Journal of Advance Science and Technology, vol. 59, pp. 41 – 52, October 2013 (publ: Science And Engineering Research Support Society).
- A. Khunteta, D. Ghosh and Ribhu, “A fuzzy approach to image exposure level estimation and contrast enhancement in dark images via exposure level optimization,” International Journal of Latest Trend in Engineering, Science and Technology, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 72 – 79, 2014 (publ: IJLTEST, London, UK).
- R. Chopra, D. Ghosh and D.K. Mehra, “Spectrum sensing for cognitive radios based on space-time FRESH filtering,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 3903 – 3913, July 2014.
- B.M. Singh, A. Mittal and D. Ghosh, “A novel method for straightening curved text-lines in stylistic documents,” EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, vol. 2014, article no. 36, July 2014 (publ: Springer).
- B.M. Singh, R. Sharma, D. Ghosh and A. Mittal, “Adaptive binarization of severely degraded and non-uniformly illuminated documents,” International Journal on Document Analysis and Recognition, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 393 – 412, December 2014 (publ: Springer).
- A. Khunteta and D. Ghosh “Edge detection via edge-strength estimation using fuzzy reasoning and optimal threshold selection using particle swarm optimization,” Advances in Fuzzy Systems, vol. 2014, article ID 365817, 2014 (publ: Hindawi Publishing Corpn.)
- Brijmohan Singh, Rahul Sharma, Debashis Ghosh and Ankush Mittal, “Multi-oriented text extraction in stylistic documents,” International Journal of Image and Graphics , vol. 15, no. 1, January 2015 (publ: World Scientific)
- Brijesh Iyer, Nagendra Prasad Pathak and D. Ghosh, “Dual-input dual-output RF sensor for indoor human occupancy and position monitoring,” IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 3959 – 3966, July 2015.
- Shitala Prasad, Sateesh K. Peddoju and Debashis Ghosh, “Multi-resolution mobile vision system for plant leaf disease diagnosis,” Signal, Image and Video Processing, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 379 – 388, February 2016 (publ: Springer).
- Shitala Prasad, Sateesh K. Peddoju and Debashis Ghosh, “Agriculture-as-a-service,” accepted in IEEE Potentials Magazine.
- R. Chopra, D. Ghosh and D.K. Mehra, “FRESH filter based spectrum sensing in the presence of cyclic frequency offset,” accepted in IEEE Wireless Communications Letters.
- Shitala Prasad, Sateesh K. Peddoju and Debashis Ghosh, “An efficient low vision plant leaf shape identification system for smart phones,” accepted in Multimedia Tools and Applications (publ: Springer).