From the inception of this institute in 1847 its international character is quite strong. Several engineers trained here were deployed in other parts of the world to carry out major projects. For example, William Willcocks (1852–1932), a British civil engineer who graduated from 1872 batch, is remembered as a renowned irrigation engineer, having proposed the first Aswan Dam and undertaken major projects of irrigation in South Africa and Turkey. IIT Roorkee has a long history of having African & Asian students, especially in the areas of Water Resources. Students from 55 different countries have been educated at IIT Roorkee.
The tradition of being a major educational hub in training students from Asia and Africa is sustained by IIT Roorkee in recent times also. Among IITs, Roorkee hosts most international students.
The Institute is committed to international cooperation and has been actively involved in partnering with countries to develop initiatives in the fields of engineering, applied sciences, social science and management education.
Our office coordinates all international activities of IIT Roorkee, including the ones listed below.
- To promote relationships between foreign institutions and IIT Roorkee, and to help define the scope of such relationships through appropriate Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs).
- Interfacing with the appropriate authorities at the collaborating institutions on all matters defined in the scope of the MoUs and to carry forward specific tasks into corresponding detailed memoranda of agreements (MoAs)
- Identifying partner institutions abroad and engage them in executing exchange programmes for students through student exchange agreements
- Helping international institutions while choosing exchange students and interns from our institute
- Facilitating the visits of delegations and students from abroad
- Facilitating the visits of delegations from IIT Roorkee to specific institutions abroad
- Interfacing with foreign missions in India and Indian missions abroad to facilitate educational and cultural linkages
- Interfacing with agencies sponsoring international students like ITEC (MEA), ICCR, etc.
- Coordinating with other internal entities in deciding policy matters affecting both outbound and inbound students participating in exchange programmes
- Coordinating with the admission section for the selection and admission process of international students
- Managing accommodation for international students
- Coordinating with Foreigner Regional Registration Offices for visa and stay of international students and their dependents