Karun Rawat Assistant Professor karunfec[at]iitr.ac.in +911332284830
Areas of Interest
- Power Amplifiers:, Broadband, load modulation, Doherty PA, pulse gate modulation, High Efficient PA modes
- Transceiver Design:, All-digital transmitters, Transceivers, Digital control of RF circuits
- Chip Design:, CMOS and GaN MMIC based power amplifiers design, mixed signal design
- Modelling:, RF Power Amplifier Design with Embedding Device Model
- RF Circuits:, Multi-port Networks, Modulators , RF Analog Processing, mixers, LNA
|2014||Till Date||Assistant Professor||Department of Electronics and Communication, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2013||2014||Assistant Professor||Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi|
|2012||2013||Postdoctoral Fellow||iRadio Lab, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary|
|2003||2007||Scientist/Engineer-SC||Microwave Sensors Receiver Division at Space Applications Centre, Indian Space Research Organization|
Honors and Awards
|Member Editorial Board||Wiley International Journal RFMiCAE||2013|
|Technical Advisor Position||Avantel Ltd.||2014|
|First Prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge||Wireless Innovation Forum||2010|
|Best Design Prize 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge||Wireless Innovation Forum||2010|
|2009, 2010, 2011, Research Production Award||University of Calgary||2011|
|PhD||Electrical and Computers Engineering||University of Calgary, Canada||2012|
|MS||Electrical and Computers Engineering||University of Calgary, Canada||2009|
|BE||Electronics & Communication Engineering||C.C.S. University Meerut,India||2002|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Broad-Band Gallium Nitride Based Doherty Power Amplifier for Efficient Amplification of High Crest F||DST||2014|
|Experiments development for Software defined radio SDR-lab||Amitec Electronics Ltd.||2014|
Participation in seminars
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2014 as Workshop organizer/Speaker||Bangalore||IEEE MTT IMaRC Conference||15/12/2014|
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2014 Power Amplifier Session Co-chair||Bangalore||IEEE MTT||15/12/2013|
|National Conference on III-Nitride Materials and Devices as Guest Speaker||New Delhi||SSPL, DRDO||9/02/2015|
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2013 as Exhibition co-chair||New Delhi||IEEE MTT||14/12/2013|
- IEEE, Senior Member
- Wiley Journal: RFMiCAE (Radio frequency and microwave computer aided engineering), Member Editorial board
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society, Member
- IEEE Circuit and Systems Society, Member
- IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Member
- IEEE Electronic Devices Society, Member
- IEEE Young Professionals, Member
- IEEE Solid State Circuits Society, Member
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Reconfigurable Concurrent Multi-band Doherty Power Amplifier||Robin Kalyan|
|Bandwidth and Dynamic Range Extension of Load Modulation in Doherty PA Archietecture||Ayushi Barthwal|
|Design of High Efficiency Multi-Standard Multi-Stage Doherty Power Amplifier.||Girish Kumar Ajmera|
|Six Port Modulator Design using Six Port Microwave Network||Lalbahadur Dube|
|Design of harmonic terminated power amplifier||Parul Gupta|
|Design and Optimisation of Doherty Power Amplier with Extended Eciency Range||Akhilesh K|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Reconfigurable Concurrent Multi-band Doherty Power Amplifier||Robin Kalyan||O||2013|
|Bandwidth and Dynamic Range Extension of Load Modulation in Doherty PA Archietecture||Ayushi Barthwal||O||2014|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Ohio State University||To Deliver Invited Talk and Seek for possible collaboration||11/11/2013|
|University of Calgary||For Carrying out ongoing Research Collaboration||11/06/2014|
|Talk on Advances on Power Amplifier||National Conference on III-Nitride Materials and Devices||T||2015|
|Talk on the Techniques in Multi-band/Multi-standard Doherty Power Amplifiers for Wireless Transmitters||IEEE MTT/APS Columbus Chapter, ElectroScience Laboratory, Ohio State University||T||Nov 2013|
|Talk on the Concept of Load-Modulation in Doherty Power Amplifier for Wireless Transmitters||IEEE MTT-Delhi chapter||T||May 2013|
|talk on the Power efficient multi-band/ multi-standard wireless transmitter for software defined radios||IEEE MTT Delhi Chapter||T||May 2013|
|talk on the RF Power Amplifiers and Architectures for Upcoming Wireless Communication||IEEE MSIT Delhi Chapter||T||2014|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|RF Power Amplifiers and Application of Digital Techniques in RF||Cabinet Secretariat New Delhi||11/04/2014|
|RF Techniques For Software Defined Radios||Cabinet Secretariat New Delhi||12/04/2014|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Member Organizing Committee IMaRC 2013||IEEE MTT||14/12/2013|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Recent Trends and Advancements in Wireless Transmitter Design||UIE, Kurukshetra University||8/05/2014|
|Concurrent Multi-band Power Amplification for Wireless Communication||NIT Delhi||3/07/2014|
|Advances on power Amplifier||Solid State Physics Laboratory, DRDO, New Delhi||9/02/2015|
|Future developments of RF Transmitters for wireless communication||C-DOT, Bangalore||17/12/2014|
National International Collaboration
|1. All-digital transmitter with pulse load modulation scheme 2. Memory effect compensation in Hybrid RF/Digital Predistortion system||University of Calgary (Prof. Fadhel.M. Ghannouchi)||RP|
|Power Amplifier design using non-linear embedded modelling||Ohio State University (Prof. Patrick Roblin)||RP|
|Electronic Band-gap, meta-materials for multi-band multi-harmonic matching networks.||University of Calgary (Prof. F. Falcone)||RP|
|Multi-band Transmitter and Power Amplifier design||Tsinghua University Beijing (Prof. W. Chen)||RP|
|Concurrent Multi-band Doherty Power Amplifier||I.I.T Delhi||PHD|
|Broadband Power Amplifier for efficient transmission of high Crest factor signals||I.I.T Delhi||PHD|
- Accepted book with title: “Multiband RF Circuits and Techniques for Wireless Transmitters”, Springer Verlag GmbH.
Refereed Journal Papers
Journal Article Published as First Author
- Karun Rawat, Gowrish B., G. Ajmera, A. Basu, Shiban K. Koul, "Design Scheme for broadband Doherty power amplifier using broadband load combiner", in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering. (accepted)
- Karun Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Double the band and optimize” in IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 13, no. 2, April 2012, pages: 69-82.
- Karun Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual-Band RF Circuits and Components for Multi-standard Software Defined Radios” in IEEE Circuit and Sys. Magazine, vol. 12, no. 1, Mar. 2012, pages: 12-32.
- Karun Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier with performance enhancement using dual-Band offset lines,” in IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol.59, no. 12, Dec. 2012, pages:4831-4842.
- Karun Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Design Methodology for Miniaturized Power Dividers using Periodically Loaded Slow Wave Structure with Dual Band Applications,” in IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques , vol. 57, no. 12, part 2, Dec 2009, pages: 3380-3388.
- Karun Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Novel Dual-Band Matching Technique Based on Dual-Characteristic Impedance Transformer for Dual-Band Power Amplifier Design” in IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 5, no. 14, pages: 1720-1729.
- Karun Rawat, M. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual Band branch-line hybrid with distinct power division ratio at two bands ” in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 23, no. 1, Jan. 2013, pages 90–98.
- Karun Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, M.Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, “Analysis of Frequency Selective Impedance Loading of Transmission Lines for Dual Band Couplers,” in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 21, no. 3, May 2011, pages: 325-335.
- Karun Rawat, M. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Compensating I-Q Imperfections in Hybrid RF/Digital Predistortion with Adapted Look up Table Implemented in FPGA,” in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 57, no. 5, May 2010, pages: 389-393.
Journal Article Published as Co-author
- M. Jouzdani, M. M. Ebrahimi, Karun Rawat, M. Helaoui, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Envelope Tracked Pulse Gate Modulated GaN HEMT Power Amplifier for Wireless Transmitters, ” in IEEE Transaction on circuits and Systems-I, vol. 62, no. 2, pages:571-579, Feb. 2015.
- R. Bhattacharya, A. Basu, Karun Rawat, S.K. Koul, “A high efficiency inductor-less broadband fully integrated CMOS power amplifier, ” in Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, digital print, DOI: 10/2014; DOI: 10.1002/mmce.20864.
- L. Azpilicueta, M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, F. Ghannouchi, and F. Falcone, “A Ray Launching-Neural Network Approach for Radio Wave Propagation Analysis in Complex Indoor Environments, ” in IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 2777-2786, May 2014.
- W. Chen, S.A. Bassam, Li Xiang, Liu Yucheng, Karun Rawat, M. Helaoui, F.M. Ghannouchi and F. Zhenghe,“ Design and linearization of concurrent dual-band Doherty power amplifier with frequency-dependent power ranges,” in IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2537–2546, Oct. 2011.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, M. Younes and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Joint Mitigation of Non-Linearity and modulator imperfections in a dual-band Concurrent Transmitter Using Neural Networks," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 49: Issue 4, pp. 253-255, February 2013.
- R. Bhattacharya, R. Gupta, A. Basu, Karun Rawat & S. K. Koul, "A Fully Integrated Dual-Band CMOS Power Amplifier Using a Variable Switched Interstage Matching Network", IETE Journal of Research, Volume 60, Issue 2, 2014,pp- 139-144.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Three-Layered Biased Memory Polynomial for Dynamic Modeling and Predistortion of Transmitters,” in IEEE Transaction on circuits and Systems-I, vol. 60, no. 3, pages:768-777, March 2013.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, F. Ghannouchi, S. Bhattacharjee and H. Leung, “Generalized Rational Functions for Reduced Complexity Behavioral Modeling and Digital Predistortion of Broadband Wireless Transmitters,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement., vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 485 - 498, February 2014.
- M. S. Hashmi, F. M. Ghannouchi, P. J. Tasker, Karun Rawat, “Highly Reflective Load-Pull Techniques for Microwave Power Device Characterization,” in IEEE microwave Magazine, vol.12 , no.4, pages: 96 - 107, Jan 2010.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Adaptive Digital Predistortion of Wireless Power Amplifiers/Transmitters Using Dynamic Real-Valued Focused Time-Delay Line Neural Networks,” in IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol.58 , no.1, pages: 95-104, Jan 2010.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, R. Darraji, F. E. Alfaro, S. A. Bassam, M. Helaoui, F. M. Ghannouchi, M. Fattouche and F. Falcone, “Cooperative network solution and implementation for emergency applications with enhanced position estimation capability,” Wireless Networks, accepted to be published.
- M. Rawat, Karun Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Recent Advances on Signal Processing Solutions for Distortion Mitigation Due to Power Amplifier and Non-Ideality of Transmitter System,” in journal Recent Patents on Signal Processing, vol. 1: no. 2, pp. 135-142, December 2011.