Dr. Gaurav Manik
Areas of Interest
- Polymer Composites, Environmental friendly natural fibre based composites; Epoxy Based Conductive Composites
- Process Optimization and Control, Process optimization and Control of Multiple Effect Evaporators
- Molecular Simulation of Polymers, Design of Performance Polymeric Coatings
- Coatings, Development of performance Easy-Clean, Oleophobic and Sacrificial Coatings
- Synthesis of Novel Industrially Important Adhesives, Development of speciality Pressure Sensitive Adhesives for Industrial Applications
|2013||Till Date||Assistant Professor, Polymers & Process Engg. Department,||IIT Roorkee|
|Jan 2016||April 2016||Visiting (Seconded) Assistant Professor||Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, THAILAND|
|2008||2012||Senior Scientist (Manager), Corporate Research Materials Lab||3M, Bangalore|
|2000||2004||Lecturer, Chemical Engg Departments||BITS Pilani And BIET Jhansi|
|1997||1998||Engineer-T||Indo Gulf Fertilizers & Chemicals Ltd|
|Ph.D||Chemical Engineering||I.I.T Bombay||2010|
|M.Tech||Chemical Engineering||I.I.T Kanpur||2000|
|B.Tech||Chemical Engineering||H B T I, Kanpur||1997|
|2015||2016||Warden, Malviya Bhavan||IIT Roorkee|
|2013||2016||Faculty-in-Charge: Games & Sports||IIT Roorkee|
|2013||2016||Faculty-in-Charge: Training & Placement||IIT Roorkee|
|2014||2016||Member, Institute Academic Program Committee (IAPC)||IIT Roorkee|
|July 2017||till date||Warden, Malviya Bhavan||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (IITR)|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Development of sealants for self-repairing and puncture resistant tires||DTIL, Mumbai||2016|
|Development of Bio-based resins and composites from Non-edible Plant oils||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), DST||2016|
Participation in seminars
|SETCOR International Conference on Smart Materials and Surfaces||Bangkok, Thailand||IITR||26-08-2014|
|International Forum on Sustainable Future in Asia:Converting Aspirations to Actions||Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, THAILAND||Asian Institute of Technology, National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES) Japan, & others||27-28Jan16|
|International perspectives on mobile health||Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand||Yunus Center of Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand||4Apr2016|
|Complex Fluids Symposium||NCL-Pune||National Chemicals Laboratory (NCL) Pune||21-22Feb08|
|2nd International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (ICCMS-06)||IIT Guwahati, India||Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati and Indian Association for Computational Mechanics (IndACM)||8-10Dec06|
|Users Conference by Innovative Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd (COMSOL)||Leela Palace, Bangalore||COMSOL||17Nov06|
|Computational Approaches to Materials Science-2006 (CAMS-2006)||Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore||Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore||17-21Jan06|
|Biotechnology Symposium||IIT Bombay||Bioschool Association and Research Scholar’s Forum, at IIT Bombay||3-4Dec2005|
|National Symposium by Chemical Engineering Association (CHEA)||IIT Bombay||IIT Bombay||19Mar05|
|58th Annual Session of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (CHEMCON-2005||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD), Delhi||Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChe)||Dec2005|
|National Workshop on Advanced Methods for Materials Characterization (NWMC)||Bhabha Atomic Research Centre||Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) Mumbai Chapter||11-15Oct04|
|National Symposium on Nanotechnology||Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre, IITBombay||Research Scholar’s Forum/Industrial Research and Consultancy Centre, IITBombay||2-3Oct2004|
|58th Annual Session of Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, CHEMCON-2004||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD), Delhi||Idian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChe)||27-30Dec05|
|International Conference on Polymers for Advanced Technologies (MACRO-2004)||Thiruvanthapuram||Society for Polymer Science||Dec 2004|
- Material Research Society of India, Life Member
- Indian Society for Technical Education, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Process Systems Analysis & Control||PP-411||IIIrd Year Process Engg & Management, IIIrd Year Polymer Science & Tech||Autumn|
|Environmental Auditing||ED 79.06||MTech First Year at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand||Spring|
|Polymer Materials||PP-356||IVth Year Intg. Polymer Science & Technology||Spring|
|Mass Transfer||PEN-208||IInd Year Polymer Science & Tech., IInd Year Process Engg. & IInd Year Paper Tech.||Spring|
|Polymer Characterization||PEN-206||IInd Year Polymer Science & Technolog||Spring|
|Elastomer Science & Rubber Technology||PP453||IVth Year Int. Polymer Science & Technology||Spring|
|Material and Energy Balance||PP102||Ist Year Polymer Sci. &Tech, Int. Process Engg. & MBA, Paper Tech||Spring|
|Environmental Management||PP320||IIIrd Year Paper Tech., Process Engg., IVth Year Polymer Sci. & Tech.||Spring|
|Communication Skills||PP 322||IIIrd Year Polymer Sci &Tech., Paper Tech., Process Engg.||Spring|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Study on Elongational viscosity of HPAAM used for EOR||Garrepally Sandeep Kumar Enrolment No. 11412009|
|“Rheological behavior of long-chain branched poly(ethylene terephthalate)” under DAAD-IIT Master Sch||Shah Rajas Sudhir|
|Development of functional bio-based materials based on natural polyphenol and polyurethane||Joginder Bansal, Enrolment No. 11412011|
|Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Acrylate Based pressure sensitive adhesives||Kapil Sharma|
|Molecular Simulation of PVA based anti-stain and easy clean coatings||Sanjay Krishna|
|Molecular simulations of industrially relevant polyvinyl acetate coatings||Yash Singhvi|
|Strength analysis of 3D printed polymer materials||S. Gowri Shankar|
|Development of Performance PSAs from Natural Resources||Vivek Pandey and Meeta Trivedi|
|Molecular simulations of self-cleaning coatings of hydrolyzed PVAc in perfluorooctane||Ehtesham Shakeel and Devaspati Krishnatri, 2015-2016|
|Mechanical and viscoelastic properties of PP, HGM and Natural Filler based composites||Nityanshu Kumar, Enrolment: 13121013|
|Molecular simulations & synthesis of perfluoro based anti-stain easy clean coatings||Nityanshu Kumar, 2015-2016|
|Modeling and simulation of properties of polyaniline based electrically conductive epoxy composites||Pratik Sanjiv Kasbe, AND Nityanshu Kumar|
Research Scholar Groups
|Om Prakash Verma||Process Modeling, Simulation and Control|
|Vinay Khandelwal||Polymer Conductive Composites|
|Sushanta Sethi||Molecular simulations, coatings|
|Rupam Gogoi||Polymer Composites|
|Dr Sushanta K. Sahoo (post-doctoral student)||Bio-source based Composites|
|Rajesh Mahadeva||Modeling and simulation, Artificial neural networks|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Optimation and Control of Multiple Effect Evaporators using Intelligent Techniques||Om Prakash Verma||A||2013|
|Development of Epoxy Based Conductive Composites||Vinay Khandelwal||O||2013|
|Molecular Simulation of hydrophobic and oleophobic environmental friendly easy-clean coatings||Mr. Sushanta Sethi||O||2016|
|Light-weight high strength hybrid composites for industrial applications||Rupam Gogoi||O||2016|
|Modeling of Desalination process using Artificial Neutral Network||Rajesh Mahadeva||O||2017|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, THAILAND||Visiting Seconded Faculty to teach a course in the School of Environment Resource and Development (SERD)||9-01-2016|
|IIT Guwahati||Deliver Invited Talk in Second Symposium on Advances in Sustainable Polymers (ASP)||21-22Jan15|
|IMS Ghaziabad||Delivered a Keynote Lecture in Induction Program on “Corporate Challenges and Responsibilities in Global Scenario”, during the special session on Corporate Interface; Was also honored as Guest of Honor.||16Jul15|
|IIT Guwahati||Theme Paper/Invited Talk in First Symposium on Advances in Sustainable Polymers (ASP). Lectures delivered on “Mesoscale simulations of sustainable polymers”, “Sustainable polymers in Coatings and Adhesives Industry”,||6-11Jan14|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|QIP Workshop on “Molecular Simulation Techniques”||AICTE||21-02-2015|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Advances in Packaging Technology||Department of Paper Technology (Organizing Deptt)||6-7Oct2015|
|International Conference on Emerging Materials and Applications (ICEMA)||Department of Paper Technology, IIT Roorkee (Organizer)||5-6Apr2014|
|Clean Technologies for Process Industries||Department of Paper Technology, IIT Roorkee (Organizer)||27-28Mar14|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Sustainable Polymer: Growing Importance in Adhesives and Coatings Industry||IIT Guwahati||8/01/2014|
|Mesoscale Simulations of Sustainable Polymers||IIT Guwahati||8/01/2014|
|Corporate Responsibility and Challenges in New Product Development and Environmental sustainability||Sriram College of Management||22/03/2014|
Refereed Journal Papers
REFEREED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Vinay Khandelwal, Sushant K. Sahoo, Ashok Kumar and Gaurav Manik, Electrically conductive green composites based on epoxidized linseed oil and polyaniline: An insight into electrical, thermal and mechanical properties, Composites B:Engineering, Accepted.
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq Haji Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq Haji Mohammed, Energy Management in Multi-stage evaporator through a steady and dyanmic state analysishttp://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11814-017-0180-4
- Vinay Khandelwal, Sushant K. Sahoo and Gaurav Manik, Study on the effect of carbon nanotube on the properties of electrically conductive epoxy/polyaniline adhesives, Journal of Material Science: Materials in Electronics, 28(19), 14240-14251, 2017, DOI 10.1007/s10854-017-7282-y
- Sushant K. Sahoo, Vinay Khandelwal, and Gaurav Manik, Development of toughened bio-based epoxy with epoxidized linseed oil as reactive diluent and cured with bio-renewable crosslinker, Polymers for Advanced Technologies, Accepted.
- Pratik S. Kasbe, Nityanshu Kumar and Gaurav Manik, “A molecular simulation analysis of influence of lignosulphonate addition on properties of modified 2-ethyl hexyl acrylate/methyl methacrylate/acrylic acid based pressure sensitive adhesive”, International Journal of Adhesion and Adhesives, 78, pp 45-54, 2017
- Nityanshu Kumar and Gaurav Manik, "Molecular dynamics simulations of polyvinyl acetate-perfluorooctane based anti-stain coatings", Polymer, Elsevier, 100, pp 194-205, 2016.
- Nityanshu Kumar, Shubham Mireja, Vinay Khandelwal, Arun B and Gaurav Manik, Light-weight and high-strength hollow glass microspheres and bamboo fiber based hybrid polyproylene composite: A strength analysis and morphological study, Composites Part B: Engineering, Elsevier, 109, pp 277-285, 2017.
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, "Modeling, simulation and control of the dynamics of a Heptads’ effect evaporator system used in the Kraft recovery processes Kraft recovery processes", Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, SAGE, In Press. pp 1-13, DOI: 10.1177/0142331217700239
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, "Simulation and control of a complex nonlinear dynamic behavior of multi-stage evaporator using PID and Fuzzy-PID controllers", Journal of Computational Science, Elsevier, In Press
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, “Optimization of steam economy and consumption of heptad’s effect evaporator system in Kraft recovery process”, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, Springer, Published online 25 May 2016, DOI 10.1007/s13198-016-0488-1
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, Modeling the Dynamics of Heptads’ Effect Evaporator System in the Kraft Recovery Processes. International Journal of Control Theory and its Application, (SCOPUS-Indexed),9(11), 2016.
- Om Prakash Verma, Suryakant, Gaurav Manik, Solution of SNLAE model of backward feed multiple effect evaporator system using genetic algorithm approach, International Journal of System Assurance Engineering and Management, Springer, Published Online 30 Sept 2016, DOI 10.1007/s13198-016-0533-0.
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, “Mathematical Modeling of Multistage Evaporator System (MSE) in Kraft Recovery Process”, Springer’s book on Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, In Proceedings of the Fifth International conference on Soft Computing and Problem Solving (SoCProS-2015), held at Saharanpur Campus of IIT Roorkee, Dec18-20, 2015.
- Om Prakash Verma, Sonu Kumar and Gaurav Manik, “Analysis of Hybrid Temperature Control for Non-linear Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor”, Springer’s book on Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, In Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Soft Computing and Problem Solving, Editors: K. N Das, Springer, Vol. 336, DOI 10.1007/978-81-322-2220-0_9, 2015.
- Gaurav Manik and Byravan Arun, “Glass Bubbles in Engineering Polymers: Impact Analysis on Thermal and Mechanical properties”, Modern Plastics and Polymers, vol 2, pp 88-90, 2012.
- Gaurav Manik and Byravan Arun, “Glass Bubbles in Engineering Polymers: High powered impact on performance”, Modern Plastics and Polymers, vol 6, no 10, pp 68-70, 2011.
- Gaurav Manik and Byravan Arun, “Fluropolymer based polymer processing additives: Exploring compatibility with engineering polymers”, Modern Plastics and Polymers, Vol 7, No 2, pp 80-84, 2011.
PATENTS & PATENT APPLICATIONS
- Gaurav Manik, Nityanshu Kumar, Shubham Mireja and Alok Kumar Yadav, A sealant composition, Patent Application No. 201721028537, Patent Filed 12 August 2017.
- Gaurav Manik, Nityanshu Kumar, Shubham Mireja and Alok Kumar Yadav, A process of preparing a sealant composition, Patent Application No. 201721028538, Patent Filed 12 August 2017.
- Gaurav Manik, Gajendra Rao, Vivek Krishnan, “A security label construction with special switching features”, US Granted Patent, Patent No. US8622555 B2, Application no. 12/872637, Filed 31 August 2010, Published & Granted 7Jan 2014.
- Gaurav Manik, Aniket H., Jitendra S. Rathore, Suresh Iyer, “Linerless Sheeting Article”, Patent Application Number PCT/IN2013/000534, Publication No. US8622555 B2, Filed Sept 2013, Publication June 2016.
- Gaurav Manik, Ruchi Pandey, Rachita P, G. Satyanarayan, “Coating compositions and multi-layered films for easy-to-clean surfaces”, Local filing No. 5316/CHE/2012, Filed Dec 2012, PCT International Patent Application No. PCT/US2013/073897, US Application No. US 14/653,496, Filed Dec 9, 2013, Published 3rd Dec 2015.
- Gaurav Manik, Purushotham Adoni, Sujatha Narayan and Dhritisundar B., “A special backlit graphic film for 2 wheelers”, Patent application Number 2421/CHE/2009, Filed Oct 2009, Published Nov 2010
PAPERS IN CONFERENCES (Recent)
- Sushanta K Sethi, Nityanshu Kumar and Gaurav Manik, Molecular dynamics simulations of hydrolyzed PVAc - PFO based anti-stain self-clean coatings, in MACRO-2017, held at Tiruvanthapuram, January 8-12, 2017.
- Nityanshu Kumar, Sushanta K Sethi, and Gaurav Manik, Effect of Chain Length and Branching on Properties Predicted by Molecular Dynamics Simulations, MACRO-2017, held at Tiruvanthapuram, January 8-12, 2017.
- Vinay Khandelwal, Sushanta Sahoo and Gaurav Manik, Development and characterization of renewable resource based bio-epoxy/PANI conducting composite-A greener material for future generation, Advancements in Polymeric Materials (APM-2017), held at Bangalore, 11-13th February 2017.
- Sushanta Sahoo, Vinay Khandelwal and Gaurav Manik, Synthesis of bio-based epoxy network based on non-edible plant oils cured with bio-based curing agent: an eco-friendly material for coating application, Advancements in Polymeric Materials (APM-2017), held at Bangalore, 11-13th February 2017.
- Om Prakash Verma, Toufiq. H. Mohammed, Shubham Mangal and Gaurav Manik, “Modeling the Dynamics of Heptads’ Effect Evaporator System in the Kraft Recovery Processes,” Shannon 100: 3rd International Conference on Computing Sciences (ICCS16), held at LPU, Jalandhar, Punjab, 8-9 April 2016.