Areas of Interest
- Metal Foam, Nanomaterials, Metal Matrix Composites, Metallic Glasses
|2014||till date||Professor||Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering and Center of Nanotechnology (IIT Roorkee)|
|2009||2014||Associate Professor||Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering and Center of Nanotechnology (IIT Roorkee)|
|2004||2009||Assistant Professor||Department of Metallurgical & Materials Engineering and Center of Nanotechnology (IIT Roorkee)|
|2003||2004||Professor and Head, Mechanical Engineering||KCG College of Technology, Anna University, Chennai|
|2001||2003||Post-doctoral Fellow||Techniche Facultaet, Christian Albrechts Universitaet, Kiel, Germany|
|2000||2001||Post-doctoral Fellow||Institute for Solid State and Materials Research (IFW), Dresden, Germany|
|1997||1999||Project Engineer||Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, IIT Kanpur|
|PhD||Composite Materials||IIT Kanpur||1997|
|ME (Int)||Metallurgy||IISc Bangallore||1992|
|BSc||Physics||MCC (Autonomous), Madras University||1988|
|2011||2013||Deputy Chief Advisor||Institute Sports Organization|
|2012||2013||Member||UG Curriculum Review Committee|
|2016||till date||Member||Department Administrative Committee|
|2017||till date||Officer in Charge||TEM Lab|
|2009||2014||Member Secretary||Department Faculty Committee|
|2008||2012||Member||Board of Studies|
|2017||till date||Member||House Allotment Committee|
|2008||2014||Officer-in-Charge||Dept Time Table|
|2005||2010||Staff Advisor, Athletics||Institute Sports Organization|
|2005||2014||Officer in Charge||Cellular and Composite Materials Lab|
|2012||2014||Officer in Charge||SEM Lab|
|2015||till date||Manager||ABN School|
Sponsored Research Projects
|1. Insitu Aluminium alloy matrix composites by hybrid processing of melts||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)||2013|
|2. A feasibility study to process Steel Foam||Naval Research Board||2013|
- The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) , USA, Member
- Indian Institute of Metals, Life Member
- Materials Research Society of India, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Structural Metallurgy||MT-104||BTech I yr||Spring|
|Engineering Analysis & Design||MTN 292||BTech 2nd yr||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|In-situ Magnesium based composite – Development and Tribological behavior||D. Sivalingappa||A||2007|
|Processing and Mechanical Property Analysis of Closed-cell Aluminium Foam||E. Edwin Raj||A||2008|
|Electrical Conductivity of Calcia Stabilized Zirconia prepared by Mechanical Alloying||Raja Ram Prasad||A||2012|
|Nanocrystalline Co-Ni and Ni-Cu alloys: Synthesis and Studies on their Magnetic Properties||Sudhakar Panday||A||2012|
|Severe Plastic Deformation of Magnesium Alloys using Accumulative Roll Bonding||H. Sivananda Nayaka||A||2013|
|Growth and Characterization of Lead-free Ferroelectric Thin Films and Heeterostructures||Chandan||A||2014|
|Effect of Microstructural modification on the energy absorption capacity of Aluminium foam||Vinod Kumar Jeenagar||A||2014|
|Microstructural, Mechanical and Thermophysical properties of Th-U alloys||Santanu Das||A||2015|
|Effect of Nano-graphite coating on small DI Diesel Engine Performance||Himanshu Panjiar||A||2016|
|Advanced Thermomechanical study of AISI 301LN grade Steel for future Transport Applications||Debasish Chatterjee||A||2017|
- MMC, CMC amd Microstructural gradients by nitridation of Al alloys V. Jayaram, B.S.S. Daniel, N. Nagendra, H.R. Muralidhar, Advanced Materials ’93, (1994) 621-624.
- Nanomaterials and Devices: Processing and Applications, Editors: S.Ray, S.K.Nath, A.Kumar, R.C.Agarwala, V.Agarwala, G.P.Chaudhari, B.S.S.Daniel, Trans Tech Inc. Switzerland, 2009.
- Advances in Materials Development: A festschrift honouring Professor Subrata Ray, Editor: B.S.S. Daniel, Materials Science Forum Vol. 736, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, 2012.
- Advances in Materials and Processing: Challenges and Opportunities, Editors: B.S.S. Daniel and G.P. Chaudhari, Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 585, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, 2012.
Refereed Journal Papers
- Rahul Gupta, G.P. Chaudhari, B.S.S. Daniel, Strengthening mechanisms in ultrasonically processed aluminium matrix composite with in-situ Al3Ti by salt addition, Composites Part B: Engineering, Volume 140, (2018) 27-34.
- J.S. Binoj, R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Comprehensive characterization of industrially discarded fruit fiber, Tamarindus indica L. as a potential eco-friendly bio-reinforcement for polymer composite, Journal of Cleaner Production, 142 Part 3, (2017) 1321-1331
- S. Das, S.B. Roy, G.P. Chaudhari, B.S.S. Daniel, Microstructural evolution of as-cast Th-U alloys, Progress in Nuclear Energy, 88 (2016) 285-296.
- S. Das, R. Kumar, J. Banerjee, S.B. Roy, G.P. Chaudhari, B.S.S. Daniel, Characterization of microstructural, mechanical and thermophysical properties of Th-52U alloy, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 480 (2016) 223-234
- S. Indran, R.E. Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, S.S. Saravanakumar, Cellulose powder treatment on Cissus quadrangularis stem fiber-reinforcement in unsaturated polyester matrix composites, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 35  (2016) 212-227.
- J.S. Binoj, R.E. Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, S.S. Saravanakumar, Optimization of short Indian Areca fruit husk fiber (Areca catechu L.)–reinforced polymer composites for maximizing mechanical properties, International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization, 21  (2016) 112-122.
- A.V. Singhal, K. Debnath, I. Singh, B.S.S. Daniel, Critical Parameters Affecting Mechanical Behavior of Natural Fiber Reinforced Plastics, Journal of Natural Fibers, 13 (2016) 640-650
- Himanshu Panjiar, R.P. Gakkhar, B.S.S. Daniel, Strain-free graphite nanoparticle synthesis by mechanical milling, Powder Technology, 275, (2015) 25-29
- S. Das, R. Kumar, S. Kaity, S. Neogy, K.N. Hareendran, S.B. Roy, G.K. Dey, B.S.S. Daniel, G.P. Chaudhari, Characterization of microstructural, mechanical and thermal properties and ageing study of Th-3 wt.% U alloy, Nuclear Engineering and Design, 282 (2015) 116-125.
- S.R. Ahmed, L.A. Agarwal, B.S.S. Daniel, Effect of Different Post Weld Heat Treatments on the Mechanical properties of Cr-Mo Boiler Steel Welded with SMAW Process, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2 [4-5] (2015) 1059-1066.
- V.K. Jeenagar, Vivek Pancholi, B.S.S. Daniel, Influence of cell wall microstructure on the energy absorption capability of aluminium foam, Materials and Design 56, (2014) 454-459.
- H. Panjiar, R.P. Gakkhar, B.S.S. Daniel, Modeling mechanical milling process for synthesis of graphite nanoparticles and their characterization, Advanced Materials Research, 922 (2014) 586-591.
- R.K. Sahoo, P. Jeyapandiarajan, K. Devi Chandrasekhar, B.S.S. Daniel, A. Venimadhav, S.B. Sant, C. Jacob, Single-step synthesis of graphene-carbon nanofiber hybrid material and its synergistic magnetic behaviour, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 615, (2014) 348-354
- S. Panday, P. Jeevanandham, B.S.S. Daniel, Synthesis and magnetic properties of nanocrystalline Co-Ni alloys: A Review, Materials Science Forum 736 (2013) 229-240
- Chandan Bhardwaj, B.S.S.Daniel, Davinder Kaur, Pulsed laser deposition nand characterization of highly tunable (1-x)Ba(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O3–x(Ba0.7Ca0.3)TiO3 thin films grown on LaNiO3/Si substrate, Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids 74 (2013) 94–100
- Sujit Kumar Verma, B.S.S. Daniel, Synthesis and characterization of shape memory Nano alloy Cu74Zn22Al4 (wt %) using high energy ball milling, American International Journal of Research in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics 2 (2013) 11-22
- D. Shivalingappa, B.S.S. Daniel, S. Ray, Processing, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Cast In-Situ Mg-Al/Mg2Si Composites, Materials Science and Engineering A, 541 (2012) 172-180
- Chandan Bhardwaj, B.S.S. Daniel, Davinder Kaur, Highly tunable compositionally graded (1−x)Ba(Zr0.2Ti0.8)O3–(Ba0.7Ca0.3)TiO3 multilayer with low temperature capacitance coefficients, Materials Letters, 87 (2012) 172-175
- D. Shivalingappa, B.S.S. Daniel and Subrata Ray, Effect of reinforcing phase inherited from another composite on the mechanical properties of cast magnesium base composite, Material Science and Engineering A, 541 (2012) 172-180
- Sudhakar Panday, B.S.S. Daniel, P. Jeevanandam, Nanocrystalline Co82Ni18 Alloy: Synthesis and Magnetic Properties, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 100-104
- Raja Ram Prasad, K.L. Yadav, B.S.S. Daniel, Conductivity measurement of calcia stabilized zirconia prepared by mechanical route, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 245-249
- Shejale K. Prakash, Harjeet Singh, Himanshu Panjiar, Sanjeev Manhas, B.S.S. Daniel, Application of Graphene Oxide and TiO2 in the fabrication of Dye sensitized solar cells module by electrode modification, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 255-259
- Harjeet Singh, Shejale K. Prakash, Himanshu Panjiar, B.S.S. Daniel, Synthesis of TiO2 film for Dye-sensitized solar cells, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 284-288
- V.K. Jeenagar, Vivek Pancholi, B.S.S. Daniel, The effect of aging on energy absorption capability of closed cell aluminium foam, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 327-331
- H. Shivananda Nayaka, G.P. Chaudhari, B.S.S. Daniel, Grain growth kinetics of accumulative roll bonded AZ61 alloy, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 387-391
- Correlation of Mechanical and Microstructural properties of SMAW welded Cr-Mo S. Riyaz Ahmed, Ajai Agarwal, B.S.S. Daniel, Boiler steels subjected to different post weld heat treatment soaking times, Advanced Materials Research 585 (2012) 425-429
- R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Customization of closed-cell aluminum foam properties using design of experiments, Material Science and Engineering A, 528 (2011) 2067-2075
- Sudhakar Panday, B.S.S. Daniel, P. Jeevanandam, Synthesis of nanocrystalline Co-Ni alloys by precursor approach and studies on their magnetic properties, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 323 (2011) 2271-2280
- H.S. Nayaka, B.S.S. Daniel, G.P. Chaudhari, Accumulative roll bonding of wrought magnesium alloy, Magnesium Technology, (2010) 593-597.
- R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Prediction of compressive properties of closed-cell aluminum foam using artificial neural network, Computational Materials Science  (2008) 767-773.
- R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Structural and compressive property correlation of closed-cell aluminum foam, Journal of Alloys and Compounds,  1-2 (2009) 550-556.
- R. Edwin Raj, Venkitanarayanan Parameswaran and B.S.S. Daniel, Comparison of quasi-static and dynamic compression behavior of closed-cell aluminum foam, Materials Science and Engineering: A, Volume 526, Issues 1-2 (2009) 11-15.
- Raja Ram Prasad, B.S.S. Daniel, Cryoginically synthesized mechanically alloyed Calcia stabilized Zirconia, Advanced Materials Research,  (2009) 271-276.
- R. Edwin Raj and B.S.S. Daniel, Microstructural influence in closed cell Aluminum foam for structural application, International Journal of Microstructure and Materials properties, Volume 4, Issue 4 (2009) 476-486.
- R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Manufacturing challenges in obtaining tailor-made closed-cell structures in metallic foams, International Journal for Advanced Manufacturing Technology  (2008) 605-612.
- R. Edwin Raj, B.S.S. Daniel, Structural property correlation with process parameters in the manufacture of closed-cell aluminum foam, Journal of Manufacturing Engineering  (2008) 67-72.
- R. Edwin Raj and B.S.S. Daniel, Aluminum Melt Foam Processing for Light Weight Structures, Materials and Manufacturing Processes  (2007) 525-530.
- V. Agarwala, R.C. Agarwala, B.S.S. Daniel, Development of Nanograined Metallic Materials by bulk and coating techniques, Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic, Metal-organic and Nano-metal Chemistry, 36  (2006) 3-16.
- S. Lenser, B.S.S. Daniel, V. Zöllmer, J. Erichsen, K. Rätzke, S. Deki, F. Faupel, Silver diffusion in Fe40Ni38Mo4B18 metallic glass under high vacuum, Scripta Materialia 48  (2003) 275-279.
- S. Lenser, B.S.S. Daniel, V. Zöllmer, J. Erichsen, K. Rätzke, S. Deki, F. Faupel, Free volume evolution in bulk metallic glass during high temperature creep, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, 754 (2003) 293-298.
- B.S.S.Daniel, A.Reger-Leonhard, M.Heilmaier, J.Eckert and L.Schultz, Thermal Relaxation and High temperature Creep of Zr55Cu30Al10Ni5 Bulk Metallic Glass, Mechanics of Time-Dependent Materials 6 (2002) 193-206.
- K. A. Padmanabhan and B. S. S. Daniel, Unified theory of deformation for structural superplastics, metallic glasses and nanocrystalline materials, Materials Science Forum Vol. 357-359 (2001) 371-380.
- B.S.S. Daniel, M. Heilmaier, A. Reger-Leonhard, J. Eckert and L. Schultz, On the high temperature creep and relaxation behaviour of Zr-based bulk metallic glasses, Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, 644 (2001) L110.7.1-6
- B.S.S.Daniel, D.Mazumdar and V.S.R.Murthy, Modelling of composite growth in Directed melt Nitridation process, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions 30A  (1999) 2951-2958.
- B.S.S.Daniel and V.S.R.Murthy, Nickel Aluminide reinforced AlN/Al composites by pressureless infiltration, Materials Letters 37 (1998) 334-339.
- B.S.S.Daniel, V.S.R.Murthy and G.S.Murty, Metal-ceramic composites via insitu methods, Journal of Materials Processing Technology 68 (1997) 132-155.
- B.S.S.Daniel and V.S.R.Murthy, Microstructure and mechanical properties of SiC reinforced AlN/Al composites, ISIJ International 37  (1997) 992-999.
- B.S.S.Daniel and V.S.R.Murthy, Directed melt oxidation and nitridation of aluminum alloys: a comparison, Materials & Design 16 (1995) 155-161.