Varun Sharma Assistant Professor email@example.com 9990912264
Areas of Interest
- Conventional Machining Processes, Machining
- Non-Conventional Machining Processes, Machining and process optimization
- Additive Manufacturing, Mechanical and biomedical applications
|8/5/2017||9/6/2018||Assistant Professor||Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani|
Honors and Awards
|Award of Appreciation for highest CGPA||IIT Delhi||2014|
|University Gold Medal (M.Tech.)||Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||2013|
|University Gold Medal (B.Tech.)||Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||2011|
|Roll of Honors (B.Tech.)||Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||2011|
|Merit Certificate (Gold Medal) in 12th||DAV College Managing Committee||2007|
|PhD||Mechanical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi||2017|
|M.Tech||Production Engineering||Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||2013|
|B.Tech||Mechanical Engineering||Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||2011|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Experimental investigations and analysis of oral drug delivery systems fabricated using 3D printing||IIT Roorkee||2018|
|Implications of 3D printed bio-ceramic based scaffold logistics in Uttrakhand||UCOST||2019|
|Feasibility studies of improving the efficacy of hydraulic machine||Haytcon||2019|
Research Scholar Groups
|Nitin Dixit (with Prof. Pradeep Kumar)||Non-Conventional Machining|
|Anurag Deepak (with Prof. Dinesh Kumar)||Supply chain Management|
|Neha Chaudhary (with Prof. Pradeep Kumar)||Additive Manufacturing|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Additive Manufacturing: Future Aspects||Chandigarh University||05/03/2019|
|3-D printing and its applications in pharmacy.||DDM College Of Pharmacy||01/10/2018|
- Book Chapter: Varun Sharma, Pulak Mohan Pandey, Anish Roy, Uday S. Study of Surface Integrity in Conventional and Ultrasonic Assisted Turning with Self-lubricating Cutting Inserts. Precision Product-Process Design and Optimization- Select Papers from AIMTDR 2016” (editors: S.S. Pande and U.S. Dixit) published by Springer.
Refereed Journal Papers
- PAPERS PUBLISHED (IN PEER REVIEWED JOURNALS):
- Varun Sharma, Pulak M. Pandey. Optimization of machining and vibration parameters for residual stresses minimization in ultrasonic assisted turning of 4340 hardened steel, Ultrasonics. 70:172–182 (2016). (SCI Impact Factor: 2.281)
- Varun Sharma, Pulak M. Pandey Experimental investigations and statistical modeling of surface roughness during ultrasonic-assisted turning with self-lubricating cutting inserts. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part E Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering 1989-1996 (2017). (SCI Impact Factor: 1.448)
- Varun Sharma, Pulak M. Pandey.Recent advances in turning with textured cutting tools: A review, Journal of Cleaner Production. 137:701-715 (2016). (SCIE Impact Factor: 6.207)
- Varun Sharma &Pulak Mohan Pandey. Comparative Study of Turning of 4340 Hardened Steel with Hybrid Textured Self-Lubricating Cutting Inserts, Materials and Manufacturing Processes. 31:14, 1904-1916, doi: 10.1080/10426914.2015.1127951 (2016). (SCIE Impact Factor: 2.274)
- Varun Sharma &Pulak Mohan Pandey. Geometrical design optimization of hybrid textured self-lubricating cutting inserts for turning 4340 hardened steel, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. doi 10.1007/s00170-016-9163-6 (2016). (SCIE Impact Factor: 2.209)
- Prateek Kala, Varun Sharma, Pulak Mohan Pandey. Surface roughness modelling for Double Disk Magnetic Abrasive Finishing process. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. 25 (2017) 37–48. (SCIE Impact Factor: 2.322).
- Prateek Kala, Pulak M Pandey, Girish Verma, Varun Sharma. Understanding flexible abrasive brush behavior for double disk magnetic abrasive finishing based on force signature. Journal of Manufacturing Processes. (2017) DOI: 10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.04.010 (SCIE Impact Factor: 2.322).
- Varun Sharma &Pulak Mohan Pandey. Mechanistic Based Cutting Force Model during Ultrasonic Assisted Turning with Self-Lubricating Cutting Inserts
Accepted in Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems (2018). (Scopus Indexed)
- Varun Sharma &Pulak Mohan Pandey. A comparative analysis of cutting force while machining 4340 hardened steel using plane and EDM textured cutting inserts, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. ISSN 0973-4562; 10: 94 (2015). (Scopus Indexed).
- U. S. Dixit, Vinod Yadav, Varun Sharma, Pulak Pandey, Anish Roy, Vadim Silberschmidt. Estimation of Cutting Forces in Conventional and Ultrasonic-Vibration Assisted Turning Using Inverse Modelling. International Journal of Additive and Subtractive Materials Manufacturing (2018). (Scopus Indexed).
- Varun Sharma, Pulak M. Pandey. Recent advances in ultrasonic assisted turning: A step towards sustainability, Cogent Engineering, Taylor and Francis, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311916.2016.1222776 (2016). (Scopus Indexed).
- Varun Sharma, Girish ChandraVerma, Pulak Mohan Pandey. Magnetic Abrasive finishing process: State of the art. International Journal of Applied Engineering Research. 10 (35) (2015) pp.27601-27607. (Scopus Indexed).
- PUBLISHED PAPERS (IN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES):
- Varun Sharma &Pulak Mohan Pandey. Study of ultrasonic assisted turning of 4340 steel with plane and self-lubricating cutting inserts. Proceedings of the 2016 Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference MSEC2016 June 27- July 1, 2016, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, USA.doi:10.1115/MSEC2016-8565.
- Varun Sharma, Pulak Mohan Pandey, Anish Roy, Uday S. Dixit, Study of Surface Integrity in Conventional and Ultrasonic Assisted Turning with Self-Lubricating Cutting Inserts. 6th International & 27th All India Manufacturing Technology, Design and Research Conference (AIMTDR-2016), December 16-18, 2016 at College of Engineering., Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA.
- Nishant Singh, Varun Sharma, Pulak M Pandey, K K Singh. Experimental investigation of effect of liquid-cum-gaseous dielectric on EDM performance. 4th International conference on Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2016) at Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar.
- Uday Shankar Dixit, Vinod Yadav, Varun Sharma, Pulak Mohan Pandey, Anish Roy, V.V. Silberschmidt. Estimation of cutting forces in conventional and ultrasonic-vibration assisted turning using inverse modelling. 4th International conference on Production & Industrial Engineering (CPIE-2016) at Dr. B.R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar.
- Varun Sharma, Sehijpal Singh. Fine finishing of metal matrix composite plate with magnetic abrasives. International Conference on Research and Innovations in Mechanical Engineering 2013, GNDEC, Ludhiana.