Team KNOx IIT Roorkee is the official off-road racing team of IITR. Team KNOx is a group of enthusiasts who design and fabricate an off-road vehicle and participate in National level competitions like BAJA SAE India and BAJA Students India.
Team KNOx provides a big platform to all the creative people who starve to work out of the box.
About The Competition (BAJA SAE) :
Baja SAE is an intercollegiate design competition run by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Teams of students from universities all over the world design and build small off-road cars.
The goal in Baja SAE racing is to design, build and race off-road vehicles that can withstand the harshest elements of rough terrain.
- Organized annually since 2007 by SAE India at NATRIP, Pithampur (Near Indore, M.P.)
- The event witnesses a participation of over 400 teams from various engineering colleges including many of the IITs, NITs all across India.
Various Vehicle Evaluation events @ BAJA SAE
- Static Events: Comprise of Design Evaluation, Cost Evaluation and Sales Presentation.
- Dynamic Events: Comprise of various tests including Braking, Figure of 8 test, Acceleration, Maneuverability, Hill Climb, Suspension traction and Endurance race.
The team is divided into various departments of specialised disciplines of Automotive Engineering:
- Wheel Assembly
- Braking and Steering
We work in a workshop situated in Mechanical & Industrial Department (west block).
Knox - 2010
Blaze - 2011
Black Pearl – 2012
Thunderstream – 2013
Bruizer - 2014
Sultan - 2016
MK-1 - 2018
- 2nd place among 326 teams in CAE category (awarded by ANSYS Inc.) in 2013.
- Overall rank 10 among 280 teams in 2011 i.e. a top 10 finish in the second year of participation.
- Overall rank 13 among 288 teams in 2012 and no. 1 among IITs.
- Incorporation of fully customised and self designed assemblies.
- We also have a couple of patents pending.
- Achieved #7 Rank in Design Section in Virtuals Round (1st among all IITs) in 2017.
- Team KNOx qualified with its personal best, scoring a total of 172.4 points out of 200 in 2017.
Future Endeavour: BAJA SAE 2019
- The design phase of the vehicle is almost complete.
- We have started the manufacturing of our vehicle and are also focusing on gathering funds to support our project.
Proposed design for BAJA SAE 2019 :