- >> A two day workshop on Bioremediation of Polkluted Groundwater sites have been planned from March, 26-27, 2018 at the department. Lectures will be given by Dr. David Graham and Dr. Diganta Das from Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Loughborough University, U.K. Posted On: 24 Feb, 2018
- >> Prof. Himanshu Joshi recently participated in the proceedings of a specialist panel headed by Chief Secretary, Karnataka to select innovative projects under Karnataka Grand Challenge Program 6. Posted On: 22 Feb, 2018
- >> IIT Roorkee team is partcipating in a DST-RCUK-Newton Bhabha Funded FAR-GANGA project on "Arsenic Risk Assessment and Management", (Team members: Prof. Himanshu Joshi, and Dr. B.K.Yadav, from Hydrology and Prof. Anil Kumar, Chemistry. The UK team lead being Prof. David Polya, Univ. of Manchester. Posted On: 22 Feb, 2018
- Prof. Himanshu Joshi has been invited to join the panel of International PhD Supervisors to supervise a research project. A candidate has been selected under the prestigious Scottish >> Hydro Nations Scholar Program after an International competition. Posted On: 22 Feb, 2018
- >> The department is organising a Brainstorming Training-cum-workshop on state-of-art Hydrometric Data Acquisition and Transmission Networks: Measurements and Modelling Under World Bank funded National Hydrology Project at New Delhi during Feb. 20-22, 2018. Posted On: 22 Feb, 2018
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE AND THE DEPARTMENT
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is the latest member of the IIT family and has its roots in the Roorkee College established in 1847 as the first engineering college in India, which was soon rechristened as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854 after its mentor James Thomason. After about 100 years of distinguished services, the college was elevated to University of Roorkee as the first Engineering University of independent India on November 25, 1949. It has now 19 academic departments/centres offering 10 undergraduate courses in engineering and architecture, 3 dual degree programmes in engineering and over 50 postgraduate courses in engineering, architecture, sciences, computer applications and business administration besides research programmes at doctoral level.
The Department of Hydrology is one among the 19 academic departments of the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. The Department came into existence with the inception of the International Post Graduate Course in Hydrology in 1972, being the first such a programme in a developing country. The profile of development of the Department is given in Annexure II. The courses, offered by the Department are presently sponsored by the Government of India and the UNESCO. The Department has nine dedicated full time faculty members having specializations in surface water hydrology (Floods, Droughts), water resources systems, watershed management, Geo-hydrology, ground water geophysics, stochastic hydrology, hydro-informatics, environmental hydrology etc.