Biplab Bhattacharya Assistant Professor bbgeofes[at]iitr.ac.in +91 1332 285434
Areas of Interest
- Clastic sedimentology, Ichnology, Sequence Stratigraphy, Coal Geology, paleogeography-paleoclimatology of Archaean, Proterozoic and Phanerozoic successions
|2013||till date||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2010||2012||Assistant Professor and Head of the Department of Geology||Hooghly Mohsin College (W.B.) under WB Education Service|
|2005||2010||Assistant Professor||Durgapur Govt. College (WB) under WB Education Service|
|2001||2004||Research Fellow||Presidency University, Kolkata|
Honors and Awards
|YOUNG SEDIMENTOLOGISTS AWARD||Indian Association of Sedimentologists||2010|
|DST FAST TRACK SCHEME FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS||DST, GOVT. OF INDIA||2012|
|INSA International Bilateral Exchange Programme||Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland||2018|
|Ph. D.||Sedimentology||Calcutta University||2010|
|2018||continued||OC Examination||ESD, IITR|
|2013||2015||O.C. Time Table||Dept. of Earth Science|
|2015||2016||Member||Department Administrative Committee (DAC)|
|2013||2015||Member||Department Research Committee (DRC)|
|2013||continuing||OC, Sedimentology Lab||Dept. of Earth Science|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Sequence stratigraphy||ONGC-PAN IIT Collaboration||2017|
|Characterization of argillites||CSIR||2017|
|FAST TRACK Scheme for Young Scientists||DST||2012|
|Paleogeography-paleoclimatoogy of mesoproterozoic successions||IIT ROORKEE (FIG)||2013|
|Evolution of Chitradurga greenstone belt||DST (Major Research Project)||2011|
|Sedimentology and ichnology of coal-bearing Gondwana sequences||UGC-ERO (MRP)||2011|
|Paleogeography-paleoclimatology of lower Gondwana sedimentary successions||UGC||2006|
Participation in seminars
|International Symposium of HiPeR||Hiroshima University, Japan||HiPeR, Hiroshima University||Jan, 2018|
|35th IGC - 2016 (International Geological Congress)||Cape Town, South Africa||IGC||Aug 2016|
|International Sedimentological Congress (ISC-2014)||Geneva, Switzerland||International Association of Sedimentologists and University of Geneva||Aug 2014|
|ICGEN-IAS 2015 (International Conference on Geoscience and Environment and 32nd Convention of IAS)||Annamali University, India||Indian Association of Sedimentologists||Jan 2016|
- Indian Geological Congress, Member of Editorial Board
- SEPM, Life Member
- International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS), Member
- J. Marine Petroleum Geology, J. Paleogeography, Current Science, Arab. J. Geos., JGSI, Reviewer
- Geological Society of India, Bangalore, Life Member
- Indian Geological Congress, Life Member
- Indian Association of Sedimentologists, Life Member
- Indian Association Earth Scientists, Kolkata, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Sedimentology||ES-307||M.Tech in Geological Technology||Autumn|
|SEDIMENTOLOGY||ESN-202||M.Tech Geological Technology and Geophysical Technology||Spring|
|Sedimentology||ES-523||M.Sc. in Applied Geology||Spring|
|Stratigraphy Concepts including sequence stratigraphy||ES-532||M.Sc. in Applied Geology||Autumn|
|Stratigraphy||ES-302||M.Tech in Geological Technology||Spring|
|Coal Geology||ES-423||M. Tech||Autumn|
|Sedimentology & stratigraphy||ES-531||M.Sc. Applied Geology||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Sedimentology, sequence stratigraphy||Sarita Nandwani, M.Tech Dissertation, 2015|
|LITHOFACIES ARCHITECTURE OF PERMIAN COAL-BEARING UPPER BARAKAR SUCCESSION, WEST BOKARO COALFIELD||Harshul Khandelwal|
|GEOCHEMISTRY OF SHALES FROM BARAKAR FORMATION, WEST BOKARO BASIN||Tanmoy Biswas, M. Tech Dissertation, 2014|
|SOFT-SEDIMENT DEFORMATION STRUCTURES WITHIN NIMAR SANDSTONE||Pawan Kumar, M. Tech Dissertation, 2014|
|GEOCHEMICAL AND PETROGRAPHIC ANALYSIS OF NIMAR SANDSTONE||Tarun Kapoor, M.Tech Dissertation, 2014|
|SEQUENCE STRATIGRAPHY OF FLUVIO-MARINE INTERACTIVE SYSTEM||Sounak Krishna Biswas, M. Tech Dissertation, 2014|
|SEDIMENTOLOGICAL ANALYSIS OF BARAKAR FORMATION, RANIGANJ BASIN||Arpita Karmakar, M.Sc. Dissertation, 2014|
|FACIES ARCHITECHTURE OF TIDE INFLUENCED GRAVELLY SAND BAR DEPOSIT, BAYANA FORMATION||Subham Bose, M.Sc. Dissertation, 2014|
|TIDAL RHYTHMITES WITHIN EARLY PERMIAN BARAKAR FORMATION||Lovely Burman, M.Sc. Dissertation, 2013|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Sedimentology and coal||Ms. Joyeeta Bhattacharjee||A||2014|
|Cretaceous marine sedimentology||Ms. Suparna Jha||A||2013|
|Sequence stratigraphy and basin analysis||Ms. Sapana Jaiswal||O||2015|
|Glacio-marine sedimentation||Mr. Harshit Varshney||O||2016|
|Ichnology and sequence stratigraphy||Mr. Abhirup Saha||O||2017|
|Sequence stratigraphy||Mr. Tanveer Ahmad||O||2017|
|Sedimentology and basin analysis||Mr. Alok Mal||O||2017|
|"Sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy" at 1st International Symposium of HiPeR||Hiroshima University, Japan||T||2018|
National International Collaboration
|ONGC - PAN IIT Research Collaboration Phase-2||KDMIPE, ONGC, Dehradun||RP|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Sapana Jaiswal, Biplab Bhattacharya and Snehasis Chakrabarty (2018): High resolution sequence stratigraphy of Middle Eocene Hazad Member, Jambusar-Broach Block, Cambay Basin, India. Journal of Marine and Petroleum Geology (Elsevier), vol. 93, 79-94.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, Joyeeta Bhattacharjee, Sandip Banerjee, Sudipto Banerjee, Kalyan Adhikary (2018): Early Permian transgressive-regressive cycles: sequence stratigraphic reappraisal of the coal-bearing Barakar Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Journal of Earth System Sciences, 127, 29.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, Malini Chakraborty, Sunil K. Sharma (2017): Occurrence of tidalites in the Mesoproterozoic subtidal-intertidal flat, Lalsot sub-basin, North Delhi Fold Belt, Rajasthan, India. In "Geological Evolution of Precambrian Indian Shield" edited Book under SES Series (of The Society of Earth Sciences), Springer, accepted, 609-627.
- Sapana Jaiswal and Biplab Bhattacharya (2018): Characterization of middle Eocene tide-influenced delta: a study from core samples of Hazad Member, Ankleshwar Formation, South Cambay Basin, India. Journal of Earth System Science, 127(65), https://doi.org/10.1007/s120 40 -018-0966-8.
- Suparna Jha, Biplab Bhattacharya and Sarita Nandwani (2017): Significance of seismites in the late Cretaceous transgressive Nimar Sandstone succession, Son-Narmada rift valley, Central India. Geological Journal (Wiley), vol. 52, 768-783.
- Bhattacharya, B., 2017. Transgressive-regressive cycles in Early Permian coal-bearing Barakar Formation, Raniganj Coalfield, India – implications on paleogeography. National Conference on “Basin dynamics, Facies architecture and Paleoclimate” & 34th Convention of Indian Association of Sedimentologists (IAS), Amravati University, Amravati, Maharashtra, 19-21 December, 2017, p.122.
- Bhattacharjee, J., Roy, T., Banerjee, S., Bandyopadhyay, S. and Bhattacharya, B., 2017. Implication of ichnofossil assemblage on paleoenvironment of Permian Barakar sedimentation in the Raniganj Coalfield, India. 2nd National Geo-Research Scholars Meet, Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehradun, 17-20 May, 2017, p.48 – 49.
- Joyeeta Bhattacharjee, Kaushik Kiran Ghosh, Biplab Bhattacharya (2018): Petrography and geochemistry of sandstone-mudstone from Barakar formation (early Permian), Raniganj basin, India: implications for provenance, weathering and marine depositional conditions during Lower Gondwana sedimentation. Geological Journal, 53, 1102-1122.
- Biplab Bhattacharya (2013): Sedimentary cycles related to the late Palaeozoic cold-warm climate change, Talchir Formation, Talchir Basin, India. Earth Resources, vol.1, pp.12-25.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, Joyeeta Bhattacharjee, Sudipto Banerjee, Sandip Bandyopadhyay and Rohini Das (2016): Seismites in Permian Barakar Formation, Raniganj Basin, India: Implications on Lower Gondwana basin evolution. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, vol. 9(4), Article 300, 1-13.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, Sudipto Banerjee and Sandip Bandyopadhyay (2016): Glossifungites ichnofabric signifying Crustacean colonization in early Permian Barakar Formation, Talchir Coal Basin, India. Current Science, vol. 110(1), 86-91.
- Bhattacharya, B., Chakraborty, M. and Sengar, S., 2016. Tectono-sedimentary implications of Mesoproterozoic ‘unusual’ tidalites in Lalsot Basin, North Delhi Fold Belt, Rajasthan, India. National Conference and field workshop on ‘Precambrians of India’, Bundelkhand University, Jhansi, 22-24 November, 2016, p.98 – 99.
- Bhattacharya, B., Banerjee, P.P. and Dharmadhikary, S., 2016. Architecture of tide-influenced TST in Barren measures Formation, West Bokaro Coalfield, India – signifying Permian marine sedimentation in Lower Gondwana. National Conference and 33rd Convention of Indian Association of Sedimentologists (IAS) with emphasis on Energy Resources and Climate Change, Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Banaras,12-14 November, 2016, p.13.
- Bhattacharya, B. and Banerjee, P.P., 2016. Seismites in transgressive Lower Gondwana (Permian) succession, West Bokaro Coalfield, India: tectono-sedimentary and sequence stratigraphic implications. 35th International Geological Congress (35 IGC-2016), Cape Town, South Africa, 27 August - 03 September, 2016, p. 3740.
- Bhattacharya, B. and Sharma, S.K., 2016. Mesoproterozoic tidalites from southern part of Lalsot Basin, North Delhi Fold Belt, Rajasthan, India. 35th International Geological Congress (35 IGC-2016), Cape Town, South Africa, 27 August - 03 September, 2016, p.3738.
- Bhattacharya, B., 2016. Seismites in transgressive lower Gondwana sequences, India: Tectono-sedimentary and sequence stratigraphic significance. International Conference on “Geoscience and Environment” and 32nd Convention of Indian Association of Sedimentologists (ICGEN-IAS 2015), Annamalai University, Tamilnadu, India, 7-10 January, 2016, p. 4-5.
- Bhattacharya, H.N., Bhattacharya, B. and Pal. S., 2016. A multiphase evolution model for Chitradurga greenstone belt, Dharwar Craton, southern India. National Conference and field workshop on ‘Precambrians of India’, Bundelkhand University, Jhansi, 22-24 November, 2016, p.22 -25.
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2015): Lithofacies architecture and paleogeography of late Paleozoic glaciomarine Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Journal of Palaeogeography, vol. 4(3), 269-283.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and P.P. Banerjee (2015): Record of Permian Tethyan transgression in eastern India: A reappraisal of the Barren Measures Formation, West Bokaro Coalfield. Marine and Petroleum Geology, vol. 67, pp. 170-179.
- H. N. Bhattacharya, Biplab Bhattacharya, A. Roy and S. Pal (2015): Late Archaean tidalites from western margin of Chitradurga greenstone belt, southern India. Precambrian Research, vol. 257, pp. 109-113.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and Suparna Jha (2014): Late Cretaceous diurnal tidal system: a study from Nimar Sandstone, Bagh Group, Narmada Valley, Central India. Current Science, vol. 107, No. 6, pp. 1032-1037.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and Sudipto Banerjee 2014. Chondrites isp. Indicating Late Paleozoic Atmospheric Anoxia in Eastern Peninsular India,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2014, Article ID 434672, 1-9, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/434672.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, S. Banerjee, J. Bhattacharjee and S. Bandyopadhyay, (2014): Sedimentology and ichnology of Permian fluvio-marine Barakar Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. 19TH INTERNATIONAL SEDIMENTOLOGICAL CONGRESS (ISC-2014), 18-22 August, 2014, Jeneva, Switzerland, organised by International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS), Abstract Vol. P. 72.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and H. N. Bhattacharya, (2014): Late Paleozoic glaciations and post-glacial transgressions in eastern peninsular India: extent and implications. 19TH INTERNATIONAL SEDIMENTOLOGICAL CONGRESS (ISC-2014), 18-22 August, 2014, Jeneva, Switzerland, organised by International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS), Abstract Vol. P. 71.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, S. Jha, P. Kumar and T. Kapoor, (2014): Tidal rhythmites from Cretaceous Nimar Sandstone, Central India, and their implications. International Seminar on ‘Sedimentary Processes and Metallogeny through Time (SPMT)-2014, 21-23 January, 2014, ASSIST and SDMCET, Dharwad, Abstract Vol. P. 63-64.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, L. Burman, S. Banerjee and S. Bandyopadhyay, (2013): Tidal rhythmites within early Permian Barakar Formation, Khudia Nala, Raniganj Basin, India. National Conference on EARTH SCIENCES IN INDIA: CHALLENGES AND EMERGING TRENDS (ESICET-2013), 7 – 9 November, 2013, Deptt. of Earth Sciences, IIT Roorkee, p. 11
- S. Banerjee, S. Bandyopadhyay and Biplab Bhattacharya, (2013): Petrographic analysis of Ramnagar coal, Barakar Formation, Raniganj Basin, India – palaeogeographic implications. International Conference on FUTURE CHALLENGES ON EARTH SCIENCES FOR ENERGY AND MINERAL RESOURCES (ESEMR-2013), 14-16 November, 2013, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, India , p. 120-121.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, S. Bandyopadhyay, S. Mahapatra and S. Banerjee (2012): Record of tide-wave influence on coal-bearing Permian Barakar Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Sedimentary Geology (Elsevier), vol. 267-268, pp. 25-35.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and H. N. Bhattacharya (2012): Implications of mud-clast conglomerates within late Paleozoic Talchir glaciomarine succession, Talchir Gondwana Basin, India. Indian Journal of Geosciences , vol. 66(1), pp. 69-78
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2011): Sole marks in storm beds from a glacially influenced late Paleozoic shallow sea, Talchir Formation, Talchir Basin, India. Indian Journal of Geosciences , vol. 65(3), pp. 175-188.
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2010): Soft-sediment deformation structures from an ice-marginal storm-tide interactive system, Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Talchir Coalbasin, India. Sedimentary Geology (Elsevier), vol. 223, pp. 380–389.
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2010): Glacier overriding related soft-sediment deformation structures from Late Paleozoic Talchir Formation, Talchir Coalbasin, Orissa, India. Vistas in Geological Research, U. U. Spl. Publ. in Geology, vol.9, pp. 18-27.
- H. N. Bhattacharya, Biplab Bhattacharya and A. Chakraborty (2009): Architecture of Storm Event Beds from Late Paleozoic Glaciomarine Talchir Formation, Talchir Coalfield, Orissa. Vistas in Geological Research, U. U. Spl. Publ. in Geology, vol.8, pp. 1-10.
- Biplab Bhattacharya and H. N. Bhattacharya (2007): Implications of trace fossil assemblages from Late Paleozoic glaciomarine Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Gondwana Research (Elsevier), vol. 12, pp. 509-524.
- H. N. Bhattacharya, Biplab Bhattacharya and A. Chakraborty (2007): Crustacean burrow fills as obstacles for current crescents in Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Journal of the Geological Society of India (Springer), vol. 69, pp. 1267-1270.
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2006): A Permo-Carboniferous Tide-Storm Interactive System: Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences (Elsevier), vol. 27, pp. 303–311.
- H. N. Bhattacharya and Biplab Bhattacharya (2005): Storm Event Beds in A Paleoproterozoic Rift Basin, Aravalli Supergroup, Rajasthan, India. Gondwana Research (Elsevier), vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 231–239.
- H. N. Bhattacharya, A. Chakraborty and Biplab Bhattacharya (2005): Significance of transition between Talchir Formation and Karharbari Formation in Lower Gondwana basin evolution – A study in West Bokaro Coal Basin, Jharkhand, India. Journal of Earth System Sciences (INSA), vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 275–286.
- H. N. Bhattacharya, Biplab Bhattacharya, I. Chakraborty and A. Chakraborty (2004): Sole marks in Storm Event Beds in the Permo-Carboniferous Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, India. Sedimentary Geology (Elsevier), vol. 166, pp. 209–222.
- Biplab Bhattacharya (2003): Storm Event Beds in Talchir Formation, Jayanti Basin, Jharkhand, India. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences, vol. 30, pp. 37-41.
- A. Chakraborty and Biplab Bhattacharya (2001): Evidences of Faunal Activities in the Talchir Formation, Raniganj Basin, Eastern India – Discussion. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences, vol. 28, pp. 55-56.
- Abhinaba Roy, H.N. Bhattacharya, Biplab Bhattacharya and Supratim Pal (2012): Chitradurga Schist Belt of Dharwar Craton revisited: evidences in favour of polyphase deformation and ductile shearing along the western margin of the belt. Abstract volume, Rock Deformation & Structures Conference: RDS-II, Lucknow, pp. 103-105.
- Biplab Bhattacharya, (2010): Cyclic sedimentation related to Late Paleozoic climatic change: a study from Talchir Formation, Talchir CoalBasin, Orissa, India. Abstract volume, National Seminar and XXVII Convention on “‘Evolution of sedimentary basins and palaeogeography”, Indian Association of Sedimentologists, Jammu, p. 2.