Dr. Yogendra Singh Head Of Department yogenfeq[at]iitr.ac.in 91-01332-285534 Website
Areas of Interest
- Performance Based Seismic Design, Performance Based Design of Buildings and Bridges
- Seismic Response Evaluation of Structures, Non-Linear Modelling and Analysis of RC Structures
- Seismic Evaluation and Retrofitting of Structures, Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Hospitals and Schools
- Seismic Vulnerability and Risk Evaluation, Seismic Vulnerability ans Risk Analysis of Indian Housing Stock
- Dynamic Soil-Structure Interaction, Effect of Soil on Seismic Performance of Buildings, Towers, and Bridges
- Seismic Risk In Hilly Areas, Sesimic Fragility Analysis of Hill Buildings
- Seismic Risk In Hilly Areas, Slope-Building Interaction under Seismic Action
|2012||On Going||Professor||Department of Earthquake Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|2007||2012||Associate Professor||Department of Earthquake Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2001||2007||Assistant Professor||Department of Earthquake Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|1996||2001||Lecturer||Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi|
|1994||1996||Scientist Fellow||Structural Engineering Research Center Ghaziabad|
Honors and Awards
|Outstanding Teacher Award||IITR||2006|
|B.E.||Civil Engineering||University of Roorkee||1989|
|M.Tech.||Structural Engg.||IIT Delhi||1990|
|Ph.D.||Structural Engg.||IIT Delhi||1994|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Indo-Norwegian Institutional Collaboration on Earthquake Engg. between NORSAR & NGI, Norway and IIT||INPIC||2002|
|Structural Stability Assessment and Development of Design Guidelines for Expanded Polystyrene Core P||BMTPC||2015|
|Seismic Safety of Masonry Infilled RC Frames||MHRD||2003|
|Durability Assessment and Enhancement of Service Life of Expanded Polystyrene Core Panel System||BMTPC||2015|
|Earthquake Risk Reduction in Himalaya with Institutional Cooperation between India and Norway||NORSAR, Norway||2006|
|Earthquake Hazard and Risk Reduction on the Indian Subcontinent||NORSAR, Norway||2012|
|Earthquake Vulnerability and Loss Appraisal for Non-Structural Elements in the Campus Buildings||MoES||2006|
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures||EQ 563||P.G./Pre Ph.D.||Autumn|
|Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Structures||EQ-514||P.G./Pre Ph.D.||Spring|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Retrofitting of the Main Building of IIT Roorkee||Shahid Manzoor|
|Seismic Retrofitting of Stilt R.C. Buildings||S. Jafar Mehdi|
|Analytical Modelling of Corrosion Damage to R.C. Structures||Gurukripal Singh|
|Analysis of Antenna Supporting Structures||Prasad S.R. Jallipalli|
|Seismic Behaviour of Frame-Shear Wall Buildings||Kapil Jain|
|Comparative Study of Force Based and Displacement Based Design of Buildings||Sivaraju Muralidhar|
|Strength and Ductility of Jacketted R.C. Members||Ratnesh Kumar|
|Three Dimensional Analysis of Surface Power Station by Finite Element Method||Vivek Tripathi|
|Seismic Safety of Hospital Equipment and Services||Sudhanshu Tripathi|
|Directional Effects in Seismic Response of Buildings||Gopalakrishnan, C.|
|Effect of Building Stiffness and Strength on the Seismic safety of Non-structural Building Component||Solomon Adugna|
|Performance Based Design of Frame-Shear Wall Buildings||Anirban Chatterjee|
|Effect of URM Infills on Seismic Performance of RC Frame Buildings||Dipankar Das|
|Base Isolation of URM Infilled RC Frame Buildings||Samik Chakraborty|
|Retrofitting of A RC Building Using FRP Wrapping||Nikam Amol Panditrao|
|Seismic Vulnerability Reduction through Codal Design of URM Infilled RC Buildings||Piyal Mandal|
|Seismic Behaviour of Skewed and Curved Bridges||Tibebu Hunegn Birhane|
|Seismic Safety of Nonstructural Components in buildings||Neha Goyal|
|Seismic Performance and Vulnerability of IS Code Designed RC Frame Buildings||Putul Haldar|
|Performance Based Design of Base Isolated Hospital Buildings||Mallika Menon.P|
|Seismic Performance of Fire Affected Buildings||Toshniwal Pramod Bansilalji|
|Performance of Flat Slab Column Buildings during Earthquake||Gaurav Maroo|
|Seismic Performance Evaluation of URM Buildings||Patil Pankaj Sharad|
|Structural Design of Pseudo-dynamic Testing Facility Proposed at IIT Roorkee||Raja A.M.|
|Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of IITR Main Building||Ramesh Kumar A.|
|Performance Based Design of Flat Slab-Shear Wall System||Chandra Shekhar Garg|
|Effects of Torsion in Seismic Response of Buildings||Ashish Kumar|
|Effect of Soil on seismic Performance of RC Buildings||Shrabony Adhikari|
|Determination of Design Ground Motion Parameters for Displacement-Based Design||Panchal Amratbhai Popatbhai|
|Seismic Evaluation of Flat Slab Building with Shear-Wall Core||Agrawal Nikhilkumar Kamalkisore|
|Seismic Behaviour of Buildings with Stiffness and Strength Eccentricities||Shaik Mohammed Rizwan|
|Seismic Performance of Slopes Subjected to Foundation Loads||N. Sweta|
|Attenuation Relationship for Spectral Displacement for Himalayan Region||Birajdar Amarjeet Bhimrao|
|Performance Based Design of RC Frame Buildings with Supplemental Damping||Mahesh Babu Addala|
|Effect of Staircase on Seismic Behaviour of Multistorey Buildings||Lt. Col. Pulkit Chauhan|
|Seismic Retrofitting of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings||Mohammad Azam|
|Performance Based Design of Steel Frames||Sitara Sarada|
|Seismic Behaviour of Buildings on Hill Slopes||Gade Phani Kumar|
|Performance of Frame Buildings with Passive Energy Dissipation Devices||Deepshika Chaudhary|
|Seismic Vulnerability of Buildings Located on Hill Slopes||Veereswara Rao Yeluguri|
|Performance Based Seismic Evaluation of Eccentrically Braced Frames Designed using Different Codes||Bhemineni Mounika|
|Seismic Performance of Frame-Shear Wall Buildings||Mitesh Surana|
|Seismic Behaviour and Design of Bridges with Tall Piers||Rakhi Kulkarni|
|Development of Model Design Guidelines for Eccentrically Braced Frames||Abhishek Singhal|
|Out-of-Plane Behaviour of Unreinforced Masonry Infills in RC Frames||Triveni Mudaliar|
|Seismic Design of Flat Slab-Shear Wall Buildings||Subhajit Sen|
|Seismic Strengthening of Unreinforced Masonry (URM) Buildings||Manish Pathak|
|Seismic Performance of Steel EBF Buildings Designed for Indian Codes||Nabeel Amhad Khan|
|Seismic Performance of Rocking Spine Buildings||Ashish Vishnoi|
|Effect of Substructure Configuration on Seismic Performance of a Bridge||B.J.N. Satish|
|Effect of Soil Conditions on Seismic Response of Bridge||Amey P. Naringrekar|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Out-of-Plane Behaviour of Unreinforced Masonry Infill Panels||Amjad Masood||A||2002|
|Seismic Performance of a Continuous Bridge: Role of Bearings and Substructure||Goutam Ghosh||A||2003|
|Performance Based Seismic Design of Hospitals||S. Choudhury||A||2004|
|Seismic Vulnerability and Risk Assessment of Indian Urban Housing||J.S.R. Prasad||A||2003|
|Modelling and Seismic Performance Evaluation of Indian RC Frame Buildings||Ratnesh Kumar||A||2004|
|A Comprehensive Performance-Based Seismic Design Approach for RC Frame Buildings||Vijay N. Khose||A||2008|
|Seismic Behavior and Vulnerability of Indian RC Buildings with URM Infills||Putul Haldar||A||2008|
|Direct Displacement Based Design of Base-Isolated RC Frame Buildings||Govardhan||A||2008|
|Effect of Soil on Seismic Performance of Structures||Shrabony Adhikari||A||2010|
|Performance Based Seismic Design of Masonry Structures||Kadam Sachin Balasahe||A||2010|
|Seismic Risk Assessment in Hilly Areas||Narsimha D. S.||O||2009|
|Seismic Behaviour of Buildings on Hill Slopes||Dhiraj Raj||O||2012|
|Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of Hill Buildings||Mitesh Surana||O||2013|
|Performance Based Seismic Design of Masonry Buildings||P. Pravin Kumar Venkat Rao||O||2014|
|Performance Based Seismic Design of Hospital Buildings||Adil Ahmad||O||2015|
Special Lectures Delivered
Refereed Journal Papers
- Praveen Kamath, Umesh Kumar Sharma, Virendra Kumar, Pradeep Bhargava, Asif Usmani, Bhupinder Singh, Yogendra Singh, Jose Torero, Martin Gillie, Pankaj Pankaj, “Full-scale fire test on an earthquake-damaged reinforced concrete frame” Fire Safety Journal, 73 (2015) 1–19.
- Deepshikha Chaudhury and Yogendra Singh, “Performance-based Design of RC Frame Buildings with Metallic and Friction Dampers,” J. Inst. Eng. India, Ser. A, November (2014)
- Rakhi Kulkarni, Shrabony Adhikary, Yogendra Singh, and Anirban Sengupta, “Seismic Performance of a Bridge with Tall Piers” ICE-Bridge Engineering, (2014).
- Sachin B. Kadam, Yogendra Singh & Bing Li, “Out-of-plane Behaviour of Unreinforced Masonry Strengthened using Ferrocement Overlay,” Materials and Structures, August (2014).
- Umesh Kumar Sharma, Virendra Kumar, Praveen Kamath, Bhupinder Singh, Pradeep Bhargava, Yogendra Singh, Asif Usmani, Jose Torero, Martin Gillie and Pankaj Pankaj, “Testing of Full-scale RC Frame under Simulated Fire Following Earthquake,” Journal of Structural Fire Engineering, Volume 5, Number 3, September 2014.
- Shrabony Adhikary, Yogendra Singh, and D.K.Paul, “Effect of Soil Depth on Inelastic Seismic Response of Structures,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 61-62 (2014) 13–28.
- Sachin B. Kadam, Yogendra Singh, and Bing Li, “Strengthening of Unreinforced Masonry using Welded Wire Mesh and Micro-Concrete - Behaviour under In-Plane Action,” Construction and Building Materials 54 (2014) 247–257.
- Vijay Namdev Khose, and Yogendra Singh, “An Anomaly in Equivalent Linearization Approach for Estimation of Inelastic Response,” Earthquake Spectra, Volume 30, No. 2, pages 965–972, May 2014.
- Yogendra Singh, Dominik H. Lang, JSR Prasad, and Rajesh Deoliya, “An Analytical Study on the Seismic Vulnerability of Masonry Buildings in India,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 17:399–422, 2013.
- Putul Haldar, Yogendra Singh, D.K. Paul, “Identification of Seismic Failure Modes of URM Infilled RC Frame Buildings,” Engineering Failure Analysis, 33 (2013) 97–118.
- B. K. Maheshwari, M. L. Sharma, Y. Singh & A. Sinvhal, “Geotechnical Aspects of Sikkim Earthquake of September 18, 2011,” Indian Geotechnical Journal (April–June 2013) 43(2):170–179.
- Putul Haldar, Yogendra Singh, Dominik H. Lang, and D.K. Paul, "Comparison of Seismic Risk Assessment Based on Macroseismic Intensity and Spectrum Approaches using 'SeisVARA’”, Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 48 (2013) 267–281.
- M. L. Sharma, A. Sinvhal, Y. Singh, and B. K. Maheshwari, “Damage Survey Report for Sikkim Earthquake of 18 September 2011,” Seismological Research Letters, Volume 84, Number 1, January/February 2013, pp. 49-56.
- Putul Haldar and Yogendra Singh, “Modeling of URM Infills and their Effect on Seismic Behavior of RC Frame Buildings,” Special Issue on Advances in Infilled Framed Structures: Experimental & Modelling Aspects, in The Open Construction and Building Technology Journal, Vol. 6, (Suppl. 1-M1), October 2012, pp. 35-41.
- Vijay Namdev Khose, Yogendra Singh, and Dominik H. Lang, “A Comparative Study of Design Base Shear for RC Buildings in Selected Seismic Design Codes,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 28, No. 3, August 2012, pp. 1047-1070.
- Umesh Kumar Sharma, Pradeep Bhargava, Bhupinder Singh, Yogendra Singh, Virendra Kumar, Praveen Kamath, Asif Usmani, Jose Torero, Martin Gillie, Pankaj Pankaj, Ian May, and Jiang Zhang, “Full-scale Testing of a Damaged RC frame in Fire”, ICE-Structures and Buildings, Volume 165, Issue 7, July 2012, pp. 335-346.
- Putul Haldar, Yogendra Singh and D.K. Paul, “Effect of URM Infills on Seismic Vulnerability of Indian Code Designed RC Frame Buildings,” Earthquake Engineering & Engineering Vibrations, Vol. 11, No. 2, June 2012, pp. 233-241.
- Dominik H. Lang, Yogendra Singh, and J.S.R. Prasad, “Comparing Empirical and Analytical Estimates of Earthquake Loss Assessment Studies for the City of Dehradun, India,” Earthquake Spectra, Volume 28, No. 2, pp. 595–619, May 2012.
- S M Rizwan and Y. Singh, “Effect of Strength Eccentricity on Torsional Behaviour of RC frame Buildings,” The Institution of Engineers (I): Series A, Vol. 93, No. 1, February-April, 2012, pp. 15-26.
- Shrabony Adhikary and Yogendra Singh, “Limitations of Soil Amplification Provisions in the 2002 Indian Seismic Code,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 16:1, Jan. 2012, pp. 1-14.
- Goutam Ghosh, Yogendra Singh, and Shashi Kant Thakkar, “Seismic Response of Continuous Bridge with Isolation Bearings,” ICE-Bridge Engineering, Vol. 164, Issue BE4, December 2011, pp. 211-225.
- Vijay N Khose, Yogendra Singh, and Pankaj Agarwal, “Distress Investigation and Retrofit of a Pyramid Shaped RC Building for Thermal and Seismic Effects,” Journal of Performance for Constructed Facilities, ASCE, Vol. 25, No. 3, June 1, 2011, pp. 181-188.
- Goutam Ghosh, Yogendra Singh and Shashi Kant Thakkar, “Seismic Response of A Continuous Bridge with Bearing Protection Devices,” Engineering Structures, Volume 33, Issue 4, April 2011, pp. 1149-1156.
- Prithvi Raj K., Umesh K. Sharma, Yogendra Singh, Pradeep Bhargava, N.M. Bhandari, “Seismic Evaluation of Flat Slab Buildings with Shear Walls” The IUP Journal of Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, March 2011, pp. 7-18.
- Ratnesh Kumar, Yogendra Singh, and Sudhanshu Tripathi, “Effect of Building Performance on Floor Response Spectra” Journal of Struct. Eng., Vol. 37, No. 6, February-March 2011, pp. 421-425.
- Yogendra Singh and Raja A. M., “Comparative Study of Alternative Structural Systems for the Proposed Large-Scale Testing Facility at IIT Roorkee” The IUP Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. IV, No. 1, January 2011, pp. 65-75.
- Yogendra Singh, Rameshkumar. A, and Ratnesh Kumar, “Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of a Historical Masonry Building,” Journal of the Institution of Engineers (I), Civil Engineering Division, Vol. 91, November 2010, pp. 23-30.
- Ratnesh Kumar and Yogendra Singh, “Stiffness of RC Frame Members for Seismic Analysis,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 107, No. 5, September - October 2010, pp. 607-615.
- Patil, Pankaj S., Singh, Yogendra, Prasad, J. S. R. and Kumar, Ratnesh, “Seismic Performance and Vulnerability Assessment of URM School Buildings in Uttarakhand.” The IUP Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, April 2010, pp. 7-21.
- J.S.R. Prasad, Yogendra Singh, Amir M. Kaynia, and Conrad Lindholm, “Socio-Economic Clustering in Seismic Risk Assessment of Urban Housing Stock” Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 25, no. 3, August 2009, pp. 619-641.
- Yogendra Singh, Samik Chakraborty and Ratnesh Kumar, “Efficacy of Base Isolation for Seismic Safety of URM Infills in RC Frame Buildings,” The IUP Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. II, No. 3, July 2009, pp. 38-47.
- G. Ghosh and Y. Singh, “Bi-directional Effects on The Response of an Isolated Bridge”, International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering (Civil Engineering), Vol. 1, No. 6, June 2009, pp. 6-10.
- Neha Goel, Yogendra Singh, and V.K. Gupta, “Design Aids for Performance Based Design of Masonry Infills in Frame Buildings,” Journal of The Institution of Engineers (I), Civil Engineering Division, Vol. 90, May 2009, pp. 7-13.
- Putul Haldar and Yogendra Singh, “Seismic Performance and Vulnerability of Indian Code Designed RC Frame Buildings,” ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, Vol. 46, No. 1, March 2009, pp. 29-45.
- S. Choudhury, Y. Singh and D.K. Paul, “Seismic Safety of Operational and Functional Components in Hospitals,” Journal of The Institution of Engineers (I), Civil Engineering Division, Vol. 89, February 2009, pp. 27-33.
- Goutam Ghosh, Yogendra Singh and Shashi Kant Thakkar, “Performance Based Seismic Design of a Continuous Bridge,” ICE-Bridge Engineering, Vol. 161, Issue BE4, December 2008, pp. 177-182.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, Closure of the discussions on the paper “Negative Shear Lag in Framed-Tube Buildings,” J. Struct. Div., ASCE, Vol. 122(6), June 1996, pp. 712-713.
- P. Vijayan, A.K. Nagpal and Y. Singh, “A Reduction Procedure for Load Distribution in Asymmetric Tall Buildings,” Computers and Structures, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1995, pp. 615-624.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, “Negative Shear Lag in Framed-Tube Buildings,” J. Struct. Div., ASCE, Vol. 120 (11), Nov. 1994, pp. 3105-3121.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, “Two Stage Gravity Load Analysis of Framed-Tube Buildings,” Int. J. of Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Vol. 3 (1), March 1994, pp. 65-83.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, “Two Stage Condensation Procedure for Free Vibration Characteristics of Framed-Tube Buildings,” Int. J. of Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Vol. 3 (1), March 1994, pp. 37-49.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, “Secondary Web-Flange Interaction in Framed-Tube Buildings,” Int. J. of Structural Design of Tall Buildings, Vol. 2 (4), Dec. 1993, pp. 325-331.
- Y. Singh and A.K. Nagpal, “Estimating Fundamental Period of Soil Profiles,” Geotechnical Engg. , Vol. 24 (2), Dec. 1993, pp. 162-174.
- Lokesh Chandra, Y. Singh and A. K. Nagpal, “Free Vibrations of Asymmetric Tall Buildings,” Int. J. of Structures, June 1993, pp. 62-72.