Areas of Interest
- Seismo-Tectonics, Remote Sensing, GIS, Seismic Hazards, Related to these areas
Honors and Awards
|Khosla Research Award||University of Roorkee||1997|
|Ph.D.||Geology||University of Roorkee||1995|
|M.Tech.||Geology||University of Roorkee||1984|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Earthquake Hazard Assessment of Indo-Burman Tectonic belt based on Spatial Technologies (RS & GIS)||DST/MoES||2006|
- Indian Society of Earthquake Technology, Life Member
- Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Earthquake Geology and Geoinformatics||IEQ-05||B.Tech.||Spring|
|Earthquake Geology and Geoinformatics||IEQ-05||B.Tech.||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Probabilistic seismic zoning for MMI amplitude||Shalu Chauhan|
|Assessment of liquefaction potential||Abdur Rasheed Nawaz|
|Seismic hazard assessment of Indo-Myanmar Sumatra Arc||Srijan Chaudhury|
|Temporal and spatial variations of b-value and its implications||Aman Sharma|
|Damage scenario after strong earthquake||Abhay Singh|
|Scenario of earthquake and seismic hazard assessment of Kangra region||Vishwajeet J. Budruke|
|Probabilistic Seismic hazard assessment||Dhirendra Kumar|
|Probabilistic Seismic hazard assessment of Central Himalaya||Cheepulla Dhana Lakshmi|
|Earthquake occurrence and deterministic seismic hazard assessment of Uttarakhand region||Dhawal Samaria|
|Geoinformatics applications in fog studies and exploring possibilities of fog dispersion using air i||Palash Choudhury|
|Earthquake occurrence and deterministic seismic hazard assessment of Gujarat region||Jayvardhan Raj|
|Earthquake damage analysis due to 1905 Kangra earthquake||Mohit Uniyal|
|Nepal Earthquake of 2015 and hazard assessment||Pawan Singh Panwar|
|Analytical framework for assessing the broad spectrum of man-made risk in India||Saha Bhola|
|Study of Kangra Re-entrant and associated morphotectonic features based on remote sensing and GIS||Hintendra Singh Parihar|
|Identification of morphotectonic features of Dehradun region based on remote sensing and GIS||Pattapu Chaitanya|
|Geoinformatics in identification of groundwater recharge structure in Bundelkhand region||Srishti Dixit|
|Probabilistic seismic hazard assessment||Podugu Vinay Kumar|
|Identification of geomorphology on Mars||Harsh Anurag|
|Study and interpretation of tectonic features in parts of Shillong Plateau, Meghalaya, India.||Netramani Harijan|
|Geo-morphotectonic and river pattern evaluation of Barak-Surma basin, NE India using Remote Sensing||Tanmoy Dutta|
|Remote Sensing and GIS for Fog Mapping and Forecasting in Northern India.||Ajoy Krishna Bohra|
|Case Studies in Deterministic Seismic Hazard Assessment||Kataria Nitin Parasmal|
|Remote Sensing and GIS based Morphotectonic Characteristics of Mohand Anticline, Siwalik Himalayas||Mrinmoy Kumar Das|
|SAR Interferometry Technique in Post-Seismic Deformation Study.||Ankita Biswas|
|Assessment of strong ground motion for shillong plateau region||Saikat Kabiraj|
|Porbabilisitc seismic hazard assessment of Himachal Pradesh||Nilesh Shaligram Patil|
|Spatial and temporal analysis of precipitation over India||Bhavya Maheshwari|
|Seismic hazard assessment in Shillong region based on geospatial approach||Vikas Kumar Srivastava|
|GIS approach in ground motion hazard estimation in Kangra region||Ekesh Chandra|
|Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessement||Rishi Kumar|
|Earthquake Occurrence and Spatial Analysis||Mohammad Amir|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Machine Learning Models for Snow, Glacier Terrain and Hazard Mapping||Rahul Nijhawan||A|
|Morphology of Brahmaputra River in Upper Assam and Seismotectonic Relations||Susanta Borgohain||A|
|Geoinformatics for Terrain Change Studies in Tectonically Active Kutch Region, India||Suman Kumar Boral||A|
|Remote Sensing Studies of Earthquake Induced Ground Deformations and Landslides||Kanika Sharma||A|
|Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment of NW and central Himalayan region||M.M. Rout||A|
|Geoinformatics in evaluating morphotectonics of Indo-Burman frontal fold belt||Yazdana Shujat||A||2007|
|Application of thermal remote sensing in earthquake precursor study.||Vineeta Rawat||A||2006|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|St. Petersburg (Russia)||Long Term Programme (ILTP) of Cooperation in Science and Technology between India and Russia and carried out scientific work.||12-07-2010|
|Germany||Participated in International UNESCO course on "Seismology, Tectonics and Seismic Risk Assessment"||05-09-1989|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Organized one day workshop on Geoinformatics in Earthquake Studies||DEQ||28-09-2015|
|Organized, coordinated a course on GIS Concept and Applications||NORSAR||22-06-2015|
Special Lectures Delivered
|SERC School SEP-IV||SERC School SEP-IV||19-04-1999|
Chapter in a book
- Satellite detection of pre-earthquake thermal anomaly and sea water turbidity associated with the great Sumatra earthquake. Authors: A.K. Saraf, S. Chaudhury, S. Dasgupta and J. Das; The Indian Ocean Tsunami, ed. Ted S. Murthy, U. Aswathanarayana and N. Nirupama, 2007, Taylor and Francis Gr., London, Ch. 19, 215-225.
Refereed Journal Papers
- M. M Rout, J. D. Das and Kamal (2018) “Probabilistic seismic hazard for Himalayan region using kernel estimation method (zone-free method)”. Natural Hazards, doi.org/10.1007/s11069-018-3336-6.
- Nijhawan, Rahul, Josodhir Das, and Balasubrmanian Raman. " A Hybrid CNN+Random Forest Approach to Delineate Debris Covered Glaciers using Deep Features” Journal of Indian Society of remote sensing- (under revision).
- Nijhawan, Rahul, Raman Balasubramanian, and Josodhir Das (2018) “Proposed Hybrid-Classifier Ensemble Algorithm to Map Snow Cover Area” Journal of applied remote sensing, 12, 016003 (2018), doi: 10.1117/1.JRS.12.016003.
- Nijhawan, Rahul, Raman Balasubramanian, and Josodhir Das. "A Hybrid approach for mapping snow cover extent using CNN-SVM-ANN-MLC and temporal satellite data”-(Under Review)
- Susanta Borgohain, Arun Kumar Saraf, Josodhir Das, Gaurav Singh, Suman Sourav Baral, Kanika Sharma, Debasmita Maharana, (2017) "InSAR technique detects post-seismic ground deformations of Kathmandu valley" Natural Hazards (submission id is: NHAZ-D-17-00724). (Submitted)
- S. Borgohain, J. Das, A.K. Saraf, G. Singh & S.S. Baral (2017) Structural controls on topography and river morphodynamics in Upper Assam Valley, India, Geodinamica Acta, 29:1, 62-69, DOI: 10.1080/09853111.2017.1313090.
- Kanika Sharma, A.K. Saraf, J. Das, S. S. Baral, S. Borgohain and G. Singh (2016) Mapping and Change Detection Study of Nepal-2015 Earthquake Induced Landslides, Indian Society of Earthquake Science, 5, 11p.
- Susanta Borgohain, Josodhir Das, Arun Kumar Saraf, Gaurav Singh and Suman Sourav Baral (2016) Morphodynamic changes of Lohit River, NE India: GIS-based study. Current Science, 110 (9), 1810-1816, doi: 10.18520/cs/v110/i9/1810-1816.
- Eirin Kar, Suman Sourav Baral, Arun Kumar Saraf, Josodhir Das, Gaurav Singh, Susanta Borgohain (2016) Remote Sensing and GIS Based Analysis of Geomorphic Evidences and Morphometry of Active Faults in Kachchh Area. Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, 44, 1-10, 2016. doi: 10.1007/s12524-016-0588-z.
- Suman Sourav Baral, Kanika Sharma, Arun Kumar Saraf, Josodhir Das, Gaurav Singh, Susanta Borgohain, Eirin Kar (2016) Thermal anomaly from NOAA data for the Nepal earthquake, Current Science, 110 (2).
- Zia, Mohammed, Kanika Sharma, A. K. Saraf, J. D. Das, Suman Baral and Mrinmoy Das, (2014), Ground deformational studies using ALOS-PALSAR data between 2007 and 2010 of the central Kutch area, Gujarat, India, Nat Hazards (2014) 71:1379–1388, DOI 10.1007/s11069-013-0947-9.
- M. M Rout, J. D. Das, Kamal and R. Das. 2015 “Probabilistic seismic hazard assessment of NW and central Himalayas and the adjoining region”. Journal of Earth System Science, 124, 577-586.
- M. M Rout, J. D. Das and Kamal “Probabilistic seismic hazard assessment of NW and Central Himalayan region-a comparison using moment slip rate and seismicity data” Journal of Seismology ( Under Review).
- Patil, N.S., Das, J. D., Kumar, A., Rout, M. M., Das, R. (2014) Probabilistic seismic hazard assessment of Himachal Pradesh and adjoining regions. Journal of Earth System Science, 123, 49-62.
- Kataria, N.P., Shrikhande, M. and Das, J. D. (2013) Deterministic Seismic Hazard Analysis of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 7, (19 pages) DOI: 10.1142/S1793431113500358.
- A. K. Saraf, Rawat, V., Das, J.D, Zia, M. and Sharma, K., (2012) Satellite detection of thermal precursors of Yamnotri, Ravar and Dalbandin earthquakes, Natural Hazards, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 861-872 (DOI 10.1007/s11069-011-9922-5).
- Saraf, A. K., Das, J. D., Ankita Biswas, Vineeta Rawat, Kanika Sharma & Yazdana Suzat (2012) SAR Interferometry in post-seismic ground deformations detection related with 2001 Bhuj Earthquake, India, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 1296–1308 (DOI:10.1080/01431161.2010.549855).
- Saraf, A. K., Vineeta Rawat, Das, J. D., Andrew Tronin, Swapnamita Choudhury and Kanika Sharma (2011) NOAA-AVHRR data displaying Thermal Line in the Himalayan foothills and its association with Frontal Thrust and Chamoli earthquake, Memoir of the Geological Society of India, No. 77, ISBN: 978-81-907636-2-2, pp. 195-204.
- Saraf A. K., Mohammed Zia, Das, J. D., Kanika Sharma and Vineeta Rawat (2011) False Topographic Perception Phenomena observed with the satellite images of Moon’s surface, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Volume 32, Issue 24, 2011, pp. 9869-9877 (DOI:10.1080/01431161.2010.550950).
- A. K. Saraf, Bora, A. K., Das, J. D., Rawat, V., Sharma, K. and Jain S. K. (2010) Winter fog over the Indo-Gangetic Plains: mapping and modelling using remote sensing and GIS. Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-010-9660-0
- Rawat, V., A. K. Saraf, Das, J. D., Sharma, K. and Shujat, Y. (2011) Anomalous land surface temperature and outgoing long-wave radiation observations prior to earthquakes in India and Romania. Natural Hazards, V-56, DOI 10.1007/s11069-011-9736-5.
- Kanika Sharma, A. K. Saraf, J. D. Das*, Rawat, V., Yazdana Shujat, (2010), Comparative study of interpolated surfaces of different terrain, International Geoinformatics Research and Development Journal, V-1, Issue-3, 25-31.
- Das, J. D., Yazdana Shujat, Saraf, A.K., Rawat, V., Sharma, K. (2011) Morphotectonic features and fault propagation folding of Bhuban Hills, NE India using Satellite image and DEM. Indian Society of Remote Sensing. 39 (1), 73-81. (DOI 10.1007/s12524-011-0066-6).
- Das, J. D., Yazdana Shujat and Saraf, A.K. (2011) Spatial technologies in deriving the morphotectonic characteristics of tectonically active western Tripura region, Northeast India. Indian Society of Remote Sensing. 39 (2), 249-258, DOI 10.1007/s12524-011-0090-6.
- Saraf, A. K., Das, J. D.and Vineeta Rawat, (2010), Satellite Based Detection of Early Occurring and Co-Seismic landslides, International Geoinformatics Research and Development Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.1-12.
- Das, J. D., Saraf, A.K. and Yazdana Shujat (2010) "Remote sensing technique in identifying geometry and geomorphic features of Indo-Burman frontal fold belt" International Journal of Remote Sensing. Vol. 31, No. 16, 4481–4503.
- Saraf, A. K., Vineeta Rawat, Swapnamita Choudhury, Sudipta Dasgupta and Josodhir Das (2009) Advances in understanding of the mechanism for generation of earthquake thermal precursors detected by satellites, International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, Vol. 11, pp. 373-379.
- Arun K. Saraf, Vineeta Rawat, Priyanka Banerjee, Swapnamita Choudhury, Santosh K. Panda, Sudipta Dasgupta, J. D. Das (2008) Satellite detection of earthquake thermal infrared precursors in Iran. Nat Hazards, 47, 119-135.
- Das, J. D., Dutta, T, and Saraf, A.K. (2007) “Remote sensing and GIS application in change detection of the Barak river channel, N.E. India. Journal Indian Society of Remote Sensing, 35, 309-320.
- Das, J. D., Saraf, A.K. and Panda, S. K. (2007) "Satellite data in rapid analysis of Kashmir earthquake (October 2005) triggered landslide pattern and river water turbidity in and around epicentral region" International Journal of Remote Sensing, 28, 1835-1842.
- Das, J. D. and Saraf, A.K. (2007) Remote Sensing in mapping of Brahmaputra/Jamuna River channel pattern and its relation to various landforms and tectonic environment. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 28, 3619-3631.
- Panda, S. K., Choudhury, S., Saraf, A.K. and Das, J. D. (2007) "MODIS land surface temperature data detects thermal anomaly preceding 08 October 2005 Kashmir earthquake" International Journal of Remote Sensing. 28, 4587-4596.
- Das, J. D. (2004) Active Tectonics of the Eastern Himalayan Foothills Region and adjoining Brahmaputra Basin based on satellite images. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 25, 549-557.
- Harijan, N., Sen, A.K., Sarkar, S., Das, J. D., and Kanungo, D.P. (2003) Geomorphotectonics Around The Sung Valley Carbonatite Complex, Shillong Plateau, Northeast India : A Remote Sensing And GIS Approach. Journal Geological Society of India. 62,103-109.
- Chandra B, Thakkar, A., Basu, S., Kumar A., Shrikhande, M., Das, J. D., Agrawal, P. and Bansal, M.K. (2002). Strong Motion Records. Supplement of Earthquake Spectra 2001 Bhuj India Earthquake Reconnaissance Report; Section 2, Vol. 18, July 2002; pp53-66.
- Saraf, A.K., Das, J. D. (1997) Neogene deformation of Siwaliks affected by the Delhi-Hardwar ridge as seen in satellite data, India. Current Science, V-73, 877-880.
- Saraf, A.K., Das, J. D., Agarwal, B. and Sundaram, R.M. (1996) False topography perception phenomena and its correction. International Journal of Remote Sensing, V-17, 3725-3733.
- Chandrasekaran, A.R., Das, J. D. and Kumar M. (1996) Evaluation of earthquake parameters in Peninsular India and comparison of strong motion characteristics in Koyna and Himalayan region. Bulletin Indian Society of Earthquake Technology, V-34, 27-46.
- Das, J. D., Saraf, A.K. and Jain, A.K. (1996) A satellite picture reveals seismically potential tectonic structures in Northeast India. International Journal of Remote Sensing, V-17, 1433-1437.
- Das, J. D., Saraf, A.K. and Jain, A.K. (1995) Fault tectonics of the Shillong plateau and adjoining regions, Northeast India using remote sensing data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, V-16, 1633-1646.
- Chandrasekaran, A.R. and Das, J. D. (1994) Analysis of strong motion accelerograms of North-east Indian earthquake of August 6, 1988. Journal of Institute of Engineers (India), Vol. 75, pp 1-11.
- Das, J.D. (1994) Tectonic Geomorphology of Shillong Region. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences, Vol. 21, pp. 47-53.
- Das, J. D. and Chandrasekaran, A.R. (1993) Determination of epicenter and comparison of some empirical formulae with observed data of acceleration from two events in Himalaya. Journal Geological Society of India, Vol. 41, pp. 417-430.
- Das, J. D. (1992) The Assam basin: Tectonic relation to the surrounding structural features and Shillong plateau. Journal Geological Society of India, Vol. 39, pp. 303-311.
- Chandrasekaran, A.R. and Das, J. D. (1992) Strong motion arrays in India and analysis of data from Shillong array. Current Science, Vol. 62, pp. 233-250.
- Chandrasekaran, A.R. and Das, J. D. (1992) Analysis of strong motion accelerograms of Uttarkashi earthquake of October 20, 1991. Bulletin Indian Society of Earthquake Technology, Vol. 29, pp. 35-55.
- Chandrasekaran, A.R. and Das, J. D. (1990) Strong Motion Arrays in India and Characteristics of Recent Recorded Events. Bulletin Indian Society of Earthquake Technology, Vol. 27, pp 1-66.