J.P. Narayan Professor jaypnfeq[at]iitr.ac.in 91-01332-285127 Website
Areas of Interest
- Earthquake Ground Motion Simulation, Development of viscoelastic Finite-difference Algorithms
- ., Site and site-city interaction effects on groung motion
- Seismic Microzonation
- Macroseismic field observation
|2005||2014||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|1999||2005||Assistant Professor||University of Roorkee|
|1996||1999||Lecturer||University of Roorkee|
|1994||1996||Project Fellow||BHU, Varanasi|
|2001||2005||Co-Editor||ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology|
Honors and Awards
|INSA Young Scientist Award||INSA, New Delhi||1998|
|A.K. Bose Memorial Award||INSA, New Delhi||2003|
|Khosla Research Prize and a Medal||IIT Roorkee||2001|
|ISET VH Joshi Award||ISET Roorkee||2007|
|JRF (DRS Scheme)||BHU, Varanasi||1990|
|SRF (DRS Scheme)||BHU, Varanasi||1992|
|UGC Studentship||BHU, Varanasi||1989|
|Endowment Fund||BHU, Varanasi||1990|
|Ph.D.||Geophysics||Banaras Hindu University||1994|
|M.Sc.Tech||Geophysics||Banaras Hindu University||1990|
|B.Sc.(Hons)||Phy., Math. & Chem.||Banaras Hindu University||1986|
|June 1997||Oct. 2010||O.C. Maintenance, Watch & Ward etc.||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|1998||2010||O.C. Annual Report||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|July 2010||July 2012||Member Board of Studies||IIT Roorkee|
|Oct 2010||April 2013||O.C. Academic Programme||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|Aug 2013||Continue||O.C. Accounts||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|2015||Continue||Chairman, DRC||IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Numerical simulation of effects of topography on ground motion characteristics for earthquake disast||CSIR, New Delhi||2011|
|Development of 3D fourth order finite difference algorithm for strong ground motion simulation||MoES New Delhi||2009|
|Aggravation factors for seismic microzonation of Chhattarpur basin, New Delhi.||EREC-IMD, New Delhi||2006|
|Site-specific strong ground motion prediction and study of local site effects using 2.5D and 3D simu||DST, New Delhi||2003|
|Broadband seismograph network for modelling of earthquake source and upper crust in the Garhwal Kuma||DST, New Delhi||2002|
|Numerical simulation of strong ground motion||INSA, New Delhi||1999|
|Engineering perspective of strong ground motion simulation||UGC Minor Project||1998|
Participation in seminars
|Signal Processing and Modelling of Geosignatures for Exploration of Oil and Natural Gas||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||Feb 1991|
|Modelling in Earth sciences" with special reference to 'Tectonics and volcanism in the Deccan vol||NGRI, Hyderabad||DST, etc.||1991|
|18th Annual Convention of Association of Exploration Geophysicists and Seminar on Exploration Geophy||Jaipur||DST, etc.||1992|
|National conference on earthquake processes and seismic hazard||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||July 1994|
|20th & 21st Annual Convention of Association of Exploration Geophysicists and Seminar on Exploration||Bangalore||DST, etc.||1994|
|Earthquake disaster preparedness||Department of Earthquake Engineering, University of Roorkee||DST, etc,||Oct.1997|
|Seismology and Earthquake Processes (SEP-IV)||Department of Earthquake Engineering, University of Roorkee||DST, etc.||Apr.1998|
|11SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||University of Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 1998|
|Annual meeting for INSA Young Scientists Award||INSA, New Delhi||INSA||March, 99|
|Symposium on experiences of earthquake risk management||National Society of Earthquake Technology (NSET) NEPAL||Unknown||Jan 2000|
|International conference on seismic hazard with particular reference to Bhuj earthquake of Jan. 26,||IMD, New Delhi||DST, etc.||0000-00-00|
|12SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2002|
|13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (13WCEE)||Vancouver, B.C., Canada||unknown||Aug 2004|
|National seminar on developments in geophysical sciences in India, Department of Geophysics||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||Nov. 2005|
|13SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2006|
|14SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2010|
|15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (15WCEE)||Lisbon, Portugal||unknown||Sept. 2012|
|15SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||MoES||Dec. 2014|
- Indian Association of Exploration Geophysicists (AEG), Life Member
- Indian Society of Earthquake Technology (ISET), Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Advanced Seismic Microzonation||EQ:534||M.Tech.||Spring|
|Seismological modeling and simulation||EQ:531||M.Tech.||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Numerical simulation of Strong Ground Motion using shear dislocation sources||Arvind Kumar|
|Numerical study of local site effects on the characteristics of Strong Ground Motion||Sanjay Kumar Mittal|
|Seismic stratigraphic modelling||Bhuvaneshwar Singh|
|Seismic discrimination of sand shale ratio||Sudesh Kumar|
|Effect of topography on strong ground motion characteristics: A numerical study||P.V. Prasad Rao|
|Seismic microzonation of Delhi||K. Sambasivarao|
|Numerical study of characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and associated differential g||Shailesh Pratap Singh|
|The detection of a very thin layer of sand saturated with oil and water||Sucheta Guleria|
|Spectral analysis of surface waves and ambient noise for microzonation of Dehradun City||Ansul Kumar|
|Effects of strong lateral discontinuity on ground motion characteristics and aggravation factor||Alka A. Richharia|
|Study of characteristics of basin transduced Rayleigh waves in Ganga basin and its engineering persp||Bhushan Mhaiske Bhimrao|
|Seismic microzonation of Calcutta city||Amit Shiuly|
|Amplification of surface waves’||Raj Kumar|
|Quantification of site-city interaction effects on ground motion characteristics in basin||Neeraj Kumar|
|Effects of surface topography on ground motion characteristics’||Mohd. Yasir Arafat|
|Quantification of Topography Effects on Ground Motion for seismic microzonation||Mr. Arbendra Kumar|
|Study of effects of Underground Cavity on the characteristics of Surface Waves||Deepak Kumar|
|‘Quantification of effects of 2D Basin on In-Plane Ground Motion for seismic microzonation’||Mr. Pavan Kumar Singh|
|Effects of valleys in hilly areas on the in-plane ground motion||Mradul Schan|
|Site-city-interaction effects on ground motion characteristics||Parla Rajesh|
|Quantification of tunnel effects on ground motion||Dhanashri M. Bankar|
Research Scholar Groups
|Mr. Laxaman Kumar||Kinematic earthquake rupture simulation|
|Neeraj Kumar||Site-city-interaction effects on ground motion|
|Mr. Lav Joshi||Strong ground motion simulation|
|Mr. Manoj Kumar||Topography effects on earthquake ground motion|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Finite difference simulation of basin-edge induced and transduced surface waves||Sanjay Kumar||A||2004|
|Finite-difference simulation of topography effects on ground motion||Vinay Kumar||A||2009|
|Numerical simulation of site and site city interaction effects on ground motion||Ms. D. Sahar||A||2010|
|Finite-difference simulation of 3D basin effects on ground motion characteristics||Mr. Kamal||A||2010|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Complex mode transformation and spectral amplification of basin transduced Rayleigh waves||IIT Roorkee||Dec. 2010|
National International Collaboration
|Seismic microzonation||EREC, IMD, New Delhi||Research P|
|Damage survey of Chamoli earthquake||NSET, Nepal||Research P|
- Contributed a chapter ‘Engineering Seismology’ in “Earthquake Resistannt Design of Structures” (Eds. Agarwal, P. and Shrikhande, M.), 1-43, Prentice Hall of India, 2006.
- Jabalpur Earthquake of May 22, 1997: Reconnaissance Report, Published by Department of Earthquake Engineering, UOR, Roorkee, 1997, pp.1-101.
- A Report on ‘Chamoli Earthquake March 29, 1999, Published by Department of Earthquake Engineering, UOR, Roorkee, 2000, pp.1-89.
Refereed Journal Papers
Papers in Refereed Journals (Seventy Two)
- International Journals: (Fifty three)
- J.P. Narayan and A. Kumar (2017) Quantification of effects of shape and shape-ratio of ridge and valley on the Rayleigh wave characteristics, JET (Accepted)
- Neeraj Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2017) Quantification of site-city-interaction effects on the building response under double resonance condition, GJI (doi.org/10.1093/gji/ggx397).
- J.P. Narayan, P.K. Singh and Kamal (2016) Study of role of various parameters affecting the characteristics of basin generated surface waves and associated spatial variation of ground motion in 2D basins, Int. Jr. Geo-Engg., 7, 1-19 (DOI, 10.1186/s40703-016-0031-x)
- D. Sahar and J.P. Narayan (2016) Quantification of modification of ground motion due to urbanization in a 3D basin using viscoelastic finite-difference modelling, Natural Hazards, 81, 779-806. (DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-2105-z).
- D. Sahar and J.P. Narayan (2016) Quantification of 3D basement focusing effects on ground motion characteristics, Jr. of Seismology, 20, 167-183 (DOI 10.1007/s10950-015-9518-8).
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2016) study of effects of sediment-damping, impedance contrast and size of semi-spherical basin on the focusing and trapping of the basin-generated surface waves, JEE, 20, 406–427 (DOI 10.1080/13632469.2015.1085461).
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2015) A study of effects of curvature of synclinal basement topography on ground motion characteristics, Geofizika, 32, 1-25, DOI: 10.15233/gfz.2015.32.3.
- JP Narayan, D. Kumar and D. Sahar (2015) Effects of complex interaction of Rayleigh waves with tunnel on the free surface ground motion and the strain across the tunnel-lining, Natural Hazards, 79, 479-495 (DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-1853-0).
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2015) 3D basin-shape-ratio effects on frequency content and spectral amplitudes of basin-generated surface waves and associated spatial ground motion amplification and differential ground motion, Jr. Seism., 19, 293-316.
- D. Sahar J.P. Narayan and Neeraj Kumar (2015) Study of role of basin-shape in the site-city-interaction effects on the ground motion characteristics, Natural Hazards, 75, 1167-1186.
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2015) A numerical study of effects of ridge-weathering and ridge-shape-ratio on the ground motion characteristics, Jr. of seismology, 19, 83-104.
- J.P. Narayan, M.Y. Yasir and Kamal (2015) A numerical study of effects of valley-weathering and valley-shape-ratio on the ground motion characteristics, Acta Geophysica, 63, 154-175.
- J.P. Narayan and D. Sahar (2014) 3D viscoelastic finite-difference code and modelling of basement focusing effects on ground motion characteristics, Computational Geosciences, 18, 1023-1047.
- J.P. Narayan and R. Kumar (2014) spatial spectral amplification of basin-transduced Rayleigh waves, Natural Hazard, 71, 751-765
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2014) P-SV wave time-domain finite-difference algorithm with realistic damping and a combined study of effects of sediment rheology and basement focusing, Acta Geophysica, 62, 1214-1245.
- Amit Shiuly, V. Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2014) Scenario of ground motion amplification in Kolkata megacity (India) for seismic microzonation and risk assessment, Acta Geophysica, 62, 425-450.
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2013) A fourth-order accurate finite-difference program for the simulation of SH-wave propagation in heterogeneous viscoelastic medium, Geofizika, 30, 173-189.
- Vinay Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2013) Study of combined effects of sediment rheology and anticlinal basement topography on ground motion characteristics, Geofizika, 30, 75-93.
- J.P. Narayan (2012), Effects of angle of incidence of SH-wave on the characteristics of SLD-induced Love waves, Jr. Earthquake and Tsunami, 6, 1250006(1)- 1250006(21), (DOI: 10.1142/S1793431112500066).
- J.P. Narayan (2012), Effects of P-wave and S-wave impedance contrast on the characteristics of basin transduced Rayleigh waves, Pure and Applied Geophys., 169, 693-709 (DOI 10.1007/s00024-011-0338-7).
- Amit Shiuly and J.P. Narayan (2012) seismic microzonation of Kolkata city (India), Natural Hazards, 60, 223-240.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2010), (2,4) Parsimonious staggered grid P-SV wave FD algorithm with VGR-stress imaging technique and variable grid size, Geofizika, 27, 45-68.
- J.P. Narayan (2010), effects of impedance contrast and soil thickness on the basin transduced Rayleigh waves and associated differential ground motion, Pure and Applied Geophys., 167,1485-1510. (DOI 10.1007/s00024-010-0131-z).
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2010), Study of effects of focal depth on the characteristics of Rayleigh waves using finite difference method, Acta Geophysica, 58, 624-644.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2009), Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and associated spatial Variability and aggravation factor, Acta Geophysica, 57, 294-310.
- Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2008), Implementation of absorbing boundary conditions in a 4th order accurate SH-wave staggered grid finite difference algorithm with variable grid size, Acta Geophysica, 56, 1090-1108.
- J.P. Narayan and Alka A. Richharia (2008), Effects of strong lateral discontinuity on ground Motion characteristics and aggravation factor, Jr. Seismology, 12, 557-573.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2008), (2,4) Parsimonious staggered grid SH-wave FD algorithm with VGR-stress imaging technique and variable grid size, Pure and Applied Geophys. 165, 271-294.
- Maheshwari B.K., Sharma M.L. and Narayan J.P. (2006), Geotechnical and structural Damage in Tamil Nadu, from the December 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, Earthquake Spectra, 22, s475-s493.
- J.P. Narayan and S.P. Singh (2006) Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and differential ground motion, Jr. of Earthquake Engineering 10, 595-614.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2006) Tsunami intensity mapping along the coast of Tamilnadu (India) during the deadliest Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004, Pure and Applied Geophys, 163, 1279-1304.
- J.P. Narayan( (2006) Numerical study of island effects on the Rayleigh wave characteristics, Geofizika*, 23, 1-12.
- J.P. Narayan and A. Ram (2006) Study of effects of underground ridge on the ground motion characteristics, Geophysical Journal International, 165, 180-196.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Run-up and inundation pattern developed during the Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004 along the coast of Tamilnadu (india), Gonwana Research, 8(4) 611-616.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Effects of Medu and coastal topography on the damage pattern during the recent Indian Ocean tsunami along the coast of Tamilnadu, Science of Tsunami Hazards, 23, 9-18.
- J.P. Narayan (2005) Study basin-edge effects on the ground motion characteristics using 2.5D modeling, Pure and Applied Geophys, 162, 273-289.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) 2.5D simulation of ridge-weathering effects on the ground motion characteristics, Jr. of Earthquake Engineering, 7, 447-461.
- J.P. Narayan and P.V. Prasad Rao (2003) Two and half dimensional simulation of ridge effects on the ground motion characteristics, Pure and Applied Geophys, 160, 1557-1571.
- J. P. Narayan (2002) H/V ratio and amplification factor: A numerical experiment using 2.5D modelling, Geofizika*, 18-19, 1-16.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma and A. Kumar (2002) A seismological report on the January 26, 2001 earthquake at Bhuj, India, Seismological Research Letter*, 73, 343-355.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Site-specific strong ground motion prediction using 2.5-D modelling, Geophysical Journal International, 146, 269-281.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Prediction of strong ground motion characteristics, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, 50, 167-177.
- J.P. Narayan (2000) Strong ground motion simulation using shear dislocation sources, Geofizika*, 16-17, 73-86.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) 2.5-D cross-hole acoustic response: A variable density approach, Geophysical Journal International, 139, 879-887.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) Modelling of multi-layered dissipative media, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLVIII, 347-358.
- J.P. Narayan (1998) 2.5-D acoustic wave simulation of geological structures, Pure and Applied Geophys, 151, 47-61.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1998) Numerical simulation of geological structure using SH-wave solution, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLVI(1), 115-126.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1997) Synthetic seismograms for a layered earth geological model using the absorption and dispersion phenomena, Pure and Applied Geophys, 149, 541-551.
- A. Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) Simulation of hydrocarbon structures using the P-SV wave solution, Pure and Applied Geophys., 144, 59-77.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1995) Application of flexural modelling to the formation of Ganga basin of northern India, Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica ed Applicata, XXXVII, 245-255.
- Ram, R. Juneja and J. P. Narayan, (1995) Analysis of the local events and inferred P* velocity near the Koyna dam, Maharashtra, India, Acta Geodetica and Geophysica and Hungarica*, 30, 63-173.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) Optimum filtering of seismic signatures, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLIII(4), 325-335.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1994) Application of acoustic wave solution for analysis of reverberation, Geofizika*, 11, 1-13.
(ii) National Journals: (Nineteen)
- Neeraj Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2018) Study of 2D Basins and Site-City Interaction Effects on Ground Motion Characteristics, JIGU, 22, 16-23.
- S. Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2008), Importance of quantification of local site effects based on wave propagation in seismic microzonation, Jr. of Earth Science System, 117 (S2), 731-748.
- K. Sambasivarao, J.P. Narayan and M.L. Sharma (2006) Scenario of ground motion amplification in Delhi, Jr. Geol. Soc. India, 68, 993-1002.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Damage pattern along the coast of Tamilnadu during Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004, ISET, News Letter, Oct. 2004 –April, 2005, 8-11.
- B.K. Maheshwari, M.L. Sharma and J.P. Narayan (2005) Structural damages on the coast of Tamilnadu due to tsunami caused by December 26, 2004 Sumatra earthquake ISET Jr. of Earthquake Technology, 42, 63-78.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) 2.5-D Simulation of basin edge effects on the ground motion characteristics, Proceedings of Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planatary Sciences), 112, 463-469.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Relevance of seismic microzonation of Mumbai city, ISET, News Letter, July, 2003, 6-8.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Basin/soil effects on the ground motion characteristics, ISET, News Letter, April, 2003, 6-8.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Plate tectonics and Earthquakes, ISET, News Letter, Oct., 2002 - Jan., 2003, 26-30.
- J.P. Narayan (2002) The Richter magnitude scale, ISET, News Letter, Jan.-June, 7-11.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Site specific ground motion prediction using 3-D modelling, ISET Jr. of Earthquake Technology, 38, 17-29.
- J. P. Narayan, M. L. Sharma and Ashwani Kumar (2001) Bhuj earthquake of January 26, 2001, ISET, News Letter, April-Oct., 27-29.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) Finite difference simulation of 2.5-D acoustic wave propagation in random media, Jr. of Geophysics, XX, 123-127.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram (1998) Numerical modelling of the off-shore regions for hydrocarbons, In ‘Recent researches in sedimentary basins (ed. Tiwari, R.N.), Indian Petroleum Publisher, 104-109.
- Ram, J.P. Narayan and K.N.S. Yadav, (1996) Effect of attenuation and dispersion on the seismic signatures, Geoscience Journal, XVII(1), 41-45.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1996) Direct detection of hydrocarbon and lithology discremination using finite difference method, Indian Jr. of Petro. Geo., 5(1), 65-78.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) A spectral estimates using three different models, Geoscience Jr. XVI(2), 121-125.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1995) Acoustic modelling of reservoirs, Geoscience Jr., XVI (I), 65-71.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1993) Application of finite difference technique for computation of seismic responses as obtained from the parts of Cambay basin, Jr. Assoc. Expl. Geophys., XIV, 173-180.