Dr. J.P.Narayan Professor jaypnfeq[at]iitr.ac.in 91-01332-285127 Website
Areas of Interest
- Earthquake Ground Motion Simulation, Development of viscoelastic Finite-difference Algorithms
- ., Site and site-city interaction effects on groung motion
- Seismic Microzonation
- Macroseismic field observation
|2005||2014||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|1999||2005||Assistant Professor||University of Roorkee|
|1996||1999||Lecturer||University of Roorkee|
|1994||1996||Project Fellow||BHU, Varanasi|
|2001||2005||Co-Editor||ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology|
Honors and Awards
|INSA Young Scientist Award||INSA, New Delhi||1998|
|A.K. Bose Memorial Award||INSA, New Delhi||2003|
|Khosla Research Prize and a Medal||IIT Roorkee||2001|
|ISET VH Joshi Award||ISET Roorkee||2007|
|JRF (DRS Scheme)||BHU, Varanasi||1990|
|SRF (DRS Scheme)||BHU, Varanasi||1992|
|UGC Studentship||BHU, Varanasi||1989|
|Endowment Fund||BHU, Varanasi||1990|
|Ph.D.||Geophysics||Banaras Hindu University||1994|
|M.Sc.Tech||Geophysics||Banaras Hindu University||1990|
|B.Sc.(Hons)||Phy., Math. & Chem.||Banaras Hindu University||1986|
|June 1997||Oct. 2010||O.C. Maintenance, Watch & Ward etc.||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|1998||2010||O.C. Annual Report||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|July 2010||July 2012||Member Board of Studies||IIT Roorkee|
|Oct 2010||April 2013||O.C. Academic Programme||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|Aug 2013||Continue||O.C. Accounts||DEQ, IIT Roorkee|
|2015||Continue||Chairman, DRC||IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Numerical simulation of effects of topography on ground motion characteristics for earthquake disast||CSIR, New Delhi||2011|
|Development of 3D fourth order finite difference algorithm for strong ground motion simulation||MoES New Delhi||2009|
|Aggravation factors for seismic microzonation of Chhattarpur basin, New Delhi.||EREC-IMD, New Delhi||2006|
|Site-specific strong ground motion prediction and study of local site effects using 2.5D and 3D simu||DST, New Delhi||2003|
|Broadband seismograph network for modelling of earthquake source and upper crust in the Garhwal Kuma||DST, New Delhi||2002|
|Numerical simulation of strong ground motion||INSA, New Delhi||1999|
|Engineering perspective of strong ground motion simulation||UGC Minor Project||1998|
Participation in seminars
|Signal Processing and Modelling of Geosignatures for Exploration of Oil and Natural Gas||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||Feb 1991|
|Modelling in Earth sciences" with special reference to 'Tectonics and volcanism in the Deccan vol||NGRI, Hyderabad||DST, etc.||1991|
|18th Annual Convention of Association of Exploration Geophysicists and Seminar on Exploration Geophy||Jaipur||DST, etc.||1992|
|National conference on earthquake processes and seismic hazard||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||July 1994|
|20th & 21st Annual Convention of Association of Exploration Geophysicists and Seminar on Exploration||Bangalore||DST, etc.||1994|
|Earthquake disaster preparedness||Department of Earthquake Engineering, University of Roorkee||DST, etc,||Oct.1997|
|Seismology and Earthquake Processes (SEP-IV)||Department of Earthquake Engineering, University of Roorkee||DST, etc.||Apr.1998|
|11SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||University of Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 1998|
|Annual meeting for INSA Young Scientists Award||INSA, New Delhi||INSA||March, 99|
|Symposium on experiences of earthquake risk management||National Society of Earthquake Technology (NSET) NEPAL||Unknown||Jan 2000|
|International conference on seismic hazard with particular reference to Bhuj earthquake of Jan. 26,||IMD, New Delhi||DST, etc.||0000-00-00|
|12SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2002|
|13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (13WCEE)||Vancouver, B.C., Canada||unknown||Aug 2004|
|National seminar on developments in geophysical sciences in India, Department of Geophysics||BHU, Varanasi||DST, etc.||Nov. 2005|
|13SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2006|
|14SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||DST, etc.||Dec. 2010|
|15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (15WCEE)||Lisbon, Portugal||unknown||Sept. 2012|
|15SEE Symposium on earthquake engineering||IIT Roorkee||MoES||Dec. 2014|
- Indian Association of Exploration Geophysicists (AEG), Life Member
- Indian Society of Earthquake Technology (ISET), Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Advanced Seismic Microzonation||EQ:534||M.Tech.||Spring|
|Seismological modeling and simulation||EQ:531||M.Tech.||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Numerical simulation of Strong Ground Motion using shear dislocation sources||Arvind Kumar|
|Numerical study of local site effects on the characteristics of Strong Ground Motion||Sanjay Kumar Mittal|
|Seismic stratigraphic modelling||Bhuvaneshwar Singh|
|Seismic discrimination of sand shale ratio||Sudesh Kumar|
|Effect of topography on strong ground motion characteristics: A numerical study||P.V. Prasad Rao|
|Seismic microzonation of Delhi||K. Sambasivarao|
|Numerical study of characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and associated differential g||Shailesh Pratap Singh|
|The detection of a very thin layer of sand saturated with oil and water||Sucheta Guleria|
|Spectral analysis of surface waves and ambient noise for microzonation of Dehradun City||Ansul Kumar|
|Effects of strong lateral discontinuity on ground motion characteristics and aggravation factor||Alka A. Richharia|
|Study of characteristics of basin transduced Rayleigh waves in Ganga basin and its engineering persp||Bhushan Mhaiske Bhimrao|
|Seismic microzonation of Calcutta city||Amit Shiuly|
|Amplification of surface waves’||Raj Kumar|
|Quantification of site-city interaction effects on ground motion characteristics in basin||Neeraj Kumar|
|Effects of surface topography on ground motion characteristics’||Mohd. Yasir Arafat|
|Quantification of Topography Effects on Ground Motion for seismic microzonation||Mr. Arbendra Kumar|
|Study of effects of Underground Cavity on the characteristics of Surface Waves||Deepak Kumar|
|‘Quantification of effects of 2D Basin on In-Plane Ground Motion for seismic microzonation’||Mr. Pavan Kumar Singh|
|Effects of valleys in hilly areas on the in-plane ground motion||Mradul Schan|
|Site-city-interaction effects on ground motion characteristics||Parla Rajesh|
|Quantification of tunnel effects on ground motion||Dhanashri M. Bankar|
Research Scholar Groups
|Mr. Laxaman Kumar||Kinematic earthquake rupture simulation|
|Neeraj Kumar||Site-city-interaction effects on ground motion|
|Mr. Lav Joshi||Strong ground motion simulation|
|Mr. Manoj Kumar||Topography effects on earthquake ground motion|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Finite difference simulation of basin-edge induced and transduced surface waves||Sanjay Kumar||A||2004|
|Finite-difference simulation of topography effects on ground motion||Vinay Kumar||A||2009|
|Numerical simulation of site and site city interaction effects on ground motion||Ms. D. Sahar||A||2010|
|Finite-difference simulation of 3D basin effects on ground motion characteristics||Mr. Kamal||A||2010|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Complex mode transformation and spectral amplification of basin transduced Rayleigh waves||IIT Roorkee||Dec. 2010|
National International Collaboration
|Seismic microzonation||EREC, IMD, New Delhi||Research P|
|Damage survey of Chamoli earthquake||NSET, Nepal||Research P|
- Contributed a chapter ‘Engineering Seismology’ in “Earthquake Resistannt Design of Structures” (Eds. Agarwal, P. and Shrikhande, M.), 1-43, Prentice Hall of India, 2006.
- Jabalpur Earthquake of May 22, 1997: Reconnaissance Report, Published by Department of Earthquake Engineering, UOR, Roorkee, 1997, pp.1-101.
- A Report on ‘Chamoli Earthquake March 29, 1999, Published by Department of Earthquake Engineering, UOR, Roorkee, 2000, pp.1-89.
Refereed Journal Papers
Papers in Refereed Journals (Sixty eight)
- International Journals: (Fifty)
- D. Sahar and J.P. Narayan (2015) Quantification of modification of ground motion due to urbanization in a 3D basin using viscoelastic finite-difference modelling, Natural Hazards (in press)
- D. Sahar and J.P. Narayan (2015) Quantification of 3D basement focusing effects on ground motion characteristics, Jr. of Seismology, DOI 10.1007/s10950-015-9518-8
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2015) study of effects of sediment-damping, impedance contrast and size of semi-spherical basin on the focusing and trapping of the basin-generated surface waves, JEE, DOI: 10.1080/13632469.2015.1085461
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2015) A study of effects of curvature of synclinal basement topography on ground motion characteristics, Geofizika, 32, 1-25, DOI: 10.15233/gfz.2015.32.3.
- JP Narayan, D. Kumar and D. Sahar (2015) Effects of complex interaction of Rayleigh waves with tunnel on the free surface ground motion and the strain across the tunnel-lining, Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-015-1853-0.
- Kamal and J.P. Narayan (2015) 3D basin-shape-ratio effects on frequency content and spectral amplitudes of basin-generated surface waves and associated spatial ground motion amplification and differential ground motion, Jr. Seism., 19, 293-316.
- D. Sahar J.P. Narayan and Neeraj Kumar (2015) Study of role of basin-shape in the site-city-interaction effects on the ground motion characteristics, Natural Hazards, 75, 1167-1186.
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2015) A numerical study of effects of ridge-weathering and ridge-shape-ratio on the ground motion characteristics, Jr. of seismology, 19, 83-104.
- J.P. Narayan, M.Y. Yasir and Kamal (2015) A numerical study of effects of valley-weathering and valley-shape-ratio on the ground motion characteristics, Acta Geophysica, 63, 154-175.
- J.P. Narayan and D. Sahar (2014) 3D viscoelastic finite-difference code and modelling of basement focusing effects on ground motion characteristics, Computational Geosciences, 18, 1023-1047.
- J.P. Narayan and R. Kumar (2014) spatial spectral amplification of basin-transduced Rayleigh waves, Natural Hazard, 71, 751-765
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2014) P-SV wave time-domain finite-difference algorithm with realistic damping and a combined study of effects of sediment rheology and basement focusing, Acta Geophysica, 62, 1214-1245.
- Amit Shiuly, V. Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2014) Scenario of ground motion amplification in Kolkata megacity (India) for seismic microzonation and risk assessment, Acta Geophysica, 62, 425-450.
- J.P. Narayan and V. Kumar (2013) A fourth-order accurate finite-difference program for the simulation of SH-wave propagation in heterogeneous viscoelastic medium, Geofizika, 30, 173-189.
- Vinay Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2013) Study of combined effects of sediment rheology and anticlinal basement topography on ground motion characteristics, Geofizika, 30, 75-93.
- J.P. Narayan (2012), Effects of angle of incidence of SH-wave on the characteristics of SLD-induced Love waves, Jr. Earthquake and Tsunami, 6, 1250006(1)- 1250006(21), (DOI: 10.1142/S1793431112500066).
- J.P. Narayan (2012), Effects of P-wave and S-wave impedance contrast on the characteristics of basin transduced Rayleigh waves, Pure and Applied Geophys., 169, 693-709 (DOI 10.1007/s00024-011-0338-7).
- Amit Shiuly and J.P. Narayan (2012) seismic microzonation of Kolkata city (India), Natural Hazards, 60, 223-240.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2010), (2,4) Parsimonious staggered grid P-SV wave FD algorithm with VGR-stress imaging technique and variable grid size, Geofizika, 27, 45-68.
- J.P. Narayan (2010), effects of impedance contrast and soil thickness on the basin transduced Rayleigh waves and associated differential ground motion, Pure and Applied Geophys., 167,1485-1510. (DOI 10.1007/s00024-010-0131-z).
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2010), Study of effects of focal depth on the characteristics of Rayleigh waves using finite difference method, Acta Geophysica, 58, 624-644.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2009), Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and associated spatial Variability and aggravation factor, Acta Geophysica, 57, 294-310.
- Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2008), Implementation of absorbing boundary conditions in a 4th order accurate SH-wave staggered grid finite difference algorithm with variable grid size, Acta Geophysica, 56, 1090-1108.
- J.P. Narayan and Alka A. Richharia (2008), Effects of strong lateral discontinuity on ground Motion characteristics and aggravation factor, Jr. Seismology, 12, 557-573.
- J.P. Narayan and S. Kumar (2008), (2,4) Parsimonious staggered grid SH-wave FD algorithm with VGR-stress imaging technique and variable grid size, Pure and Applied Geophys. 165, 271-294.
- Maheshwari B.K., Sharma M.L. and Narayan J.P. (2006), Geotechnical and structural Damage in Tamil Nadu, from the December 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, Earthquake Spectra, 22, s475-s493.
- J.P. Narayan and S.P. Singh (2006) Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and differential ground motion, Jr. of Earthquake Engineering 10, 595-614.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2006) Tsunami intensity mapping along the coast of Tamilnadu (India) during the deadliest Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004, Pure and Applied Geophys, 163, 1279-1304.
- J.P. Narayan( (2006) Numerical study of island effects on the Rayleigh wave characteristics, Geofizika*, 23, 1-12.
- J.P. Narayan and A. Ram (2006) Study of effects of underground ridge on the ground motion characteristics, Geophysical Journal International, 165, 180-196.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Run-up and inundation pattern developed during the Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004 along the coast of Tamilnadu (india), Gonwana Research, 8(4) 611-616.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Effects of Medu and coastal topography on the damage pattern during the recent Indian Ocean tsunami along the coast of Tamilnadu, Science of Tsunami Hazards, 23, 9-18.
- J.P. Narayan (2005) Study basin-edge effects on the ground motion characteristics using 2.5D modeling, Pure and Applied Geophys, 162, 273-289.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) 2.5D simulation of ridge-weathering effects on the ground motion characteristics, Jr. of Earthquake Engineering, 7, 447-461.
- J.P. Narayan and P.V. Prasad Rao (2003) Two and half dimensional simulation of ridge effects on the ground motion characteristics, Pure and Applied Geophys, 160, 1557-1571.
- J. P. Narayan (2002) H/V ratio and amplification factor: A numerical experiment using 2.5D modelling, Geofizika*, 18-19, 1-16.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma and A. Kumar (2002) A seismological report on the January 26, 2001 earthquake at Bhuj, India, Seismological Research Letter*, 73, 343-355.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Site-specific strong ground motion prediction using 2.5-D modelling, Geophysical Journal International, 146, 269-281.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Prediction of strong ground motion characteristics, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, 50, 167-177.
- J.P. Narayan (2000) Strong ground motion simulation using shear dislocation sources, Geofizika*, 16-17, 73-86.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) 2.5-D cross-hole acoustic response: A variable density approach, Geophysical Journal International, 139, 879-887.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) Modelling of multi-layered dissipative media, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLVIII, 347-358.
- J.P. Narayan (1998) 2.5-D acoustic wave simulation of geological structures, Pure and Applied Geophys, 151, 47-61.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1998) Numerical simulation of geological structure using SH-wave solution, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLVI(1), 115-126.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1997) Synthetic seismograms for a layered earth geological model using the absorption and dispersion phenomena, Pure and Applied Geophys, 149, 541-551.
- A. Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) Simulation of hydrocarbon structures using the P-SV wave solution, Pure and Applied Geophys., 144, 59-77.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1995) Application of flexural modelling to the formation of Ganga basin of northern India, Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica ed Applicata, XXXVII, 245-255.
- Ram, R. Juneja and J. P. Narayan, (1995) Analysis of the local events and inferred P* velocity near the Koyna dam, Maharashtra, India, Acta Geodetica and Geophysica and Hungarica*, 30, 63-173.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) Optimum filtering of seismic signatures, Acta Geophysica Polonica*, XLIII(4), 325-335.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1994) Application of acoustic wave solution for analysis of reverberation, Geofizika*, 11, 1-13.
(ii) National Journals: (Eighteen)
- S. Kumar and J.P. Narayan (2008), Importance of quantification of local site effects based on wave propagation in seismic microzonation, Jr. of Earth Science System, 117 (S2), 731-748.
- K. Sambasivarao, J.P. Narayan and M.L. Sharma (2006) Scenario of ground motion amplification in Delhi, Jr. Geol. Soc. India, 68, 993-1002.
- J.P. Narayan, M.L. Sharma, and B.K. Maheshwari (2005) Damage pattern along the coast of Tamilnadu during Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004, ISET, News Letter, Oct. 2004 –April, 2005, 8-11.
- B.K. Maheshwari, M.L. Sharma and J.P. Narayan (2005) Structural damages on the coast of Tamilnadu due to tsunami caused by December 26, 2004 Sumatra earthquake ISET Jr. of Earthquake Technology, 42, 63-78.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) 2.5-D Simulation of basin edge effects on the ground motion characteristics, Proceedings of Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planatary Sciences), 112, 463-469.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Relevance of seismic microzonation of Mumbai city, ISET, News Letter, July, 2003, 6-8.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Basin/soil effects on the ground motion characteristics, ISET, News Letter, April, 2003, 6-8.
- J.P. Narayan (2003) Plate tectonics and Earthquakes, ISET, News Letter, Oct., 2002 - Jan., 2003, 26-30.
- J.P. Narayan (2002) The Richter magnitude scale, ISET, News Letter, Jan.-June, 7-11.
- J.P. Narayan (2001) Site specific ground motion prediction using 3-D modelling, ISET Jr. of Earthquake Technology, 38, 17-29.
- J. P. Narayan, M. L. Sharma and Ashwani Kumar (2001) Bhuj earthquake of January 26, 2001, ISET, News Letter, April-Oct., 27-29.
- J.P. Narayan (1999) Finite difference simulation of 2.5-D acoustic wave propagation in random media, Jr. of Geophysics, XX, 123-127.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram (1998) Numerical modelling of the off-shore regions for hydrocarbons, In ‘Recent researches in sedimentary basins (ed. Tiwari, R.N.), Indian Petroleum Publisher, 104-109.
- Ram, J.P. Narayan and K.N.S. Yadav, (1996) Effect of attenuation and dispersion on the seismic signatures, Geoscience Journal, XVII(1), 41-45.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1996) Direct detection of hydrocarbon and lithology discremination using finite difference method, Indian Jr. of Petro. Geo., 5(1), 65-78.
- Ram and J.P. Narayan, (1995) A spectral estimates using three different models, Geoscience Jr. XVI(2), 121-125.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1995) Acoustic modelling of reservoirs, Geoscience Jr., XVI (I), 65-71.
- J.P. Narayan and Avadh Ram, (1993) Application of finite difference technique for computation of seismic responses as obtained from the parts of Cambay basin, Jr. Assoc. Expl. Geophys., XIV, 173-180.