Areas of Interest
- Distributed Generation, Planning and Placement, Microgrids, Operation, Monitoring, and Control, Power System Automation, Power System Restoration, Smart Power Networks, Digital System Design, Embedded System Development
|2016-01-01||Ongoing||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2009-01-01||7 years||Asstt. Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|1999-01-01||10 years||Lecturer||IET Lucknow, UP|
Honors and Awards
|Paper entitled “Detection of Islanding for Microgrid Based on Discrimination Factor of Islanding” awarded Dr. M. Ramamoorty best paper award in Power Systems at 21st National Power Systems Conference (NPSC 2020)||IIT Gandhinagar||2020|
|Ph. D||Power System Operation & Control||IIT Roorkee||2007|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Reconfigurable Embedded System for Power System Protection & Control||DST, India||2010-01||10 years 7 months|
|Design and Verification of digital Controller for distillation column||MHRD||2011-01||9 years 7 months|
|MI Challenge Smart Grids: Hybrid Renewable Energy Microgrid with Value Chain Applications for Agriculture & Dairy Farms||DST, India||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Reconfigurable IPs Library for Power System Protection||DST, India||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Design & Development of IoT Based Health-Monitoring System for Study of Effect of YAM on COVID-19 Related Health Parameters||DST, India||2020-12-15||Ongoing|
|Trans-national Collaborative RD&D Project: Different Energy Vector Integration for Storage of Energy(DEVISE)||DST, India||2021-01-07||Ongoing|
- IEEE, Member
- IE India, Associate Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Control Systems||EEN-211||B.Tech. II||Autumn|
|Advanced Digital System Design||EEN-682||M.Tech.||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|DGs Placement in Distribution Network||Satish Kumar||A||2010-01|
|Controller Designing for Process Control||Amit Kumar Singh||A||2010-01|
|Synchro-phasor based Power System Monitoring & Control||K S Sajan||A||2011-01|
|Frequency Regulation in Deregulated Environment||Nagendra Kumar||A||2011-01|
|Algorithms for Differential Protection of Indirect Symmetrical Phase Shift Transformer||Shailendra Kumar Bhasker||A||2011-01|
|FPGA Prototyping for Microgrid Protection||Praveen Kumar||A||2014-01|
|Modelling and Control of Islanded Micro-grid with Inverter-Interfaced PV-Battery||Sachidananda Sen||A||2016-01|
|Incremental PMU Placement Considering Component Reliability of Power System Network under Contingency and Online Voltage Stability Monitoring||Sanjay Kumar||O||2015-01|
|Dynamic State Estimation and Optimal Control of Multi-area Power System using PMU||Thomas Joseph||O||2015-07|
|Micro-grid Monitoring and Protection||Gagandeep Singh Dua||O||2018-01|
|Micro-grid Islanding Detection & its Control||Pravin Kumar||O||2018-01|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Embedded Systems and its Application to Power Electronics||QIP, IIT Roorkee||2010-01|
|Digital Design Techniques : Application to Control System||QIP, IIT Roorkee||2011-01|
|Embedded System & its Application to Control Systems||QIP, IIT Roorkee||2014-01|
|Wide Area Power System Monitoring, Protection and Control||QIP, IIT Roorkee||2016-01|
|6th IEEEl Int. Conference on Computer Applications in Electrical Engineering - Recent Advances||IIT Roorkee||2017-01|
|VLSI Designing & Embedded Systems||TEQIP||2020-08|
Referred Journal Papers
- Pravin Kumar, Vishal Kumar, and B. Tyagi, “ 'Islanding detection for reconfigurable microgrid with RES', IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume xx, Issue xx, pp. xxxx –xxxx, (Accepted)
- Gagandeep Singh Dua; Barjeev Tyagi; Vishal Kumar, “ A Novel Approach For Configuration Identification of Distribution Network Utilizing μPMU Data”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Volume xx, Issue xx, pp. xx-xx, 2020. (Early Access)
3. Sanjay Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, Sunita Chohan, “Optimization of Phasor Measurement Units Placement under Contingency using Reliability of Network Components”, IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement, Volume 69, Issue 12, pp. 9893-9906, June 2020.
4. T. Joseph, B. Tyagi, and Vishal Kumar, “Dynamic state estimation of generators using spherical simplex unscented transform-based unbiased minimum variance filter, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 14, Issue 15, pp. 2997 –3005, Aug. 2020
- Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Decentralized Output-Feedback Based Robust LQR V-f Controller for PV-Battery Micro-grid Including Generation Uncertainties”, IEEE Systems Journal, Volume 14, Issue 3, pp. 4418 - 4429, Sept. 2020
6. Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar, Rajendra Pratap, “FPGA Implementation of an islanding technique for Microgrid using Periodic Maxima of superimposed Voltage Components”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 14, Issue 9, 2020, pp. 1673-1683.
7. T. Joseph, B. Tyagi, and Vishal Kumar, “Adaptive Optimal Wide Area Controller for Multi-Area Power System using PMU Measurements, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 13, Issue 23, p. 5284 –5293, Dec. 2019
8. Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar and Rajendra Pratap, “FPGA based design and HIL verification of a soft-core directional-OCR", Electric Power Component and Systems, Volume 47, Issue 14-15, 2019
9. Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar and Rajendra Pratap, “Design and Verification of Hardcore Reconfigurable Relay for Islanding Detection and Subsequent Mode Adaptation of Microgrid", International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, e2807, Vol 29, Issue 4, Jan. 2019
10. Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Simplified Modeling and HIL Validation of Solar PVs and Storage Based Islanded Microgrid with Generation Uncertainties”, IEEE Systems Journal, Volume 14, Issue 2, pp. 2653 –2664, June 2020
11. T. Joseph; B. Tyagi; V. Kumar, “Unbiased Minimum Variance Filter-Based Generator State Estimation Using PMU Measurements for Unknown Generator Input”, IEEE Systems Journal, Volume- 13, Issue-3, Sept. 2019, Pages 3176 - 3184
12. Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Microgrid Modelling: A comprehensive survey”, Annual Reviews in Control, Volume 46, 2018, Pages 216-250
13. Sanjay Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, Sunita Chohan, “Incremental PMU placement considering reliability of power system network using analytical hierarchical process”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 12, Issue 16, pp. 3900-3909, Aug. 2018.
14. Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Microgrid control: A comprehensive survey”, Annual Reviews in Control, Volume 45, 2018, Pages 118-151
15. Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar, Rajendra Pratap, “Prototyping and Hardware-in-Loop Verification of Overcurrent Relay”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 12, Issue 12, 10 July 2018, p. 2837 – 2845.
16. Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar “Multi-area Deregulated Automatic Generation Control Scheme of Power System Using Imperialist Competitive Algorithm Based Robust Controller,” IETE Journal of Research-Taylor & Francis, Vol. 64, Issue 4, 2018, pp-528-537
17. Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “Application of Fractional Order PID Controller for AGC under Deregulated Environment,” International Journal of Automation and Computing-Springer, Vol.12, No.1, 2017.
18. K S Sajan, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Phased Optimal PMU Placement Based on Revised Analytical Hierarchy Process”, Electric Power Components & Systems, Vol. 44, Issue 9, 2016.
19. Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Hybrid approach for optimal placement of multiple DGs of multiple types in distribution networks”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 75, pp. 226-235, Feb. 2016
20. Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “Multi-area AGC Scheme using Imperialist Competition Algorithm in Re-structured Power System,” Applied Soft Computing-Elsevier, Vol.48, pp.160-168, 2016.
21. K S Sajan, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “ GA based SVM for on-line Voltage Monitoring”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 73, pp. 200-208, 2015
22. Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Cost–benefit Analysis for Optimal Distributed Generation Placement in Distribution Systems”, International Journal of Ambient Energy, (Taylor & Francis), Vol. 36, March 2015.
23. Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Optimal Placement of Different type of DG Sources in Distribution Networks”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 53, pp. 752-760, December 2013.
24. A K Singh, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar “Application of Feed Forward and Recurrent Neural Network Topologies for the Modeling and Identification of Binary Distillation Column” IETE Journal of Research-Taylor & Francis, Vol. 59, Issue 2, pp. 167-175, 2013
25. Vishal Kumar, Rohith Kumar, Indra Gupta, H. O. Gupta, “DG Integrated Approach for Service Restoration under Cold Load Pickup,” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Vol 25, Issue 1, pp. 398-406, 2010
26. Vishal Kumar, Indra Gupta, and H O Gupta, “An Overview of Cold Load Pickup Issues in Power Distribution Systems,” Electric Power Components & Systems, Vol. 34, No.6, pp. 639-651, 2006.
27. Vishal Kumar, Indra Gupta, H. O. Gupta, and C. P. Agarwal, “Voltage and Current Sensitivities of Radial Distribution Network: A New Approach,” IEE Proceedings Gen. Trans. & Distr., Vol. 152, No. 6, pp 813-818, Nov. 2005