Dr. Vishal Kumar
Vishal Kumar Associate Professor vksaxfee[at]iitr.ac.in +91-1332-285897
Areas of Interest
- Distributed Generation, Planning and Placement
- Microgrids, Operation, Monitoring, and Control
- Power System Automation, Power System Restoration, Smart Power Networks
- Digital System Design, Embedded System Development
|2016||Continue||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2009||2016||Asstt. Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|1999||2009||Lecturer||IET Lucknow, UP|
|Ph. D||Power System Operation & Control||IIT Roorkee||2007|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Reconfigurable Embedded System for Power System Protection & Control||DST||2010|
|Design and Verification of digital Controller for distillation column||MHRD||2011|
|Hybrid Renewable Energy Microgrid with Value Chain Applications for Agriculture & Dairy Farms||DST||2018|
|Reconfigurable IPs Library for Power System Protection||DST||2019|
- IEEE, Member
- IE India, Associate Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Control Systems||EEN-211||B.Tech. II||Autumn|
|Advanced Digital System Design||EEN-682||M.Tech.||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|DGs Placement in Distribution Network||Satish Kumar||A||2010|
|Controller Designing for Process Control||Amit Kumar Singh||A||2010|
|Synchro-phasor based Power System Monitoring & Control||K S Sajan||A||2011|
|Frequency Regulation in Deregulated Environment||Nagendra Kumar||A||2011|
|Algorithms for Differential Protection of Indirect Symmetrical Phase Shift Transformer||Shailendra Kumar Bhasker||A||2011|
|FPGA Prototyping for Microgrid Protection||Praveen Kumar||A||2014|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Embedded Systems and its Application to Power Electronics||QIP, IIT Roorkee||July, 2010|
|Digital Design Techniques : Application to Control System||QIP, IIT Roorkee||June, 2011|
|Embedded System & its Application to Control Systems||QIP, IIT Roorkee||June 2014|
|Wide Area Power System Monitoring, Protection and Control||QIP, IIT Roorkee||Dec. 2016|
|6th IEEEl Int. Conference on Computer Applications in Electrical Engineering - Recent Advances||IIT Roorkee||Oct. 2017|
|VLSI Designing & Embedded Systems||TEQIP||May 2019,|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Vishal Kumar, Indra Gupta, H. O. Gupta, and C. P. Agarwal, “Voltage and Current Sensitivities of Radial Distribution Network: A New Approach,” IEE Proc.-Gen., Trans. & Distr., Vol. 152, No. 6, pp 813-818, Nov. 2005
- Vishal Kumar, Indra Gupta, and H O Gupta, “An Overview of Cold Load Pickup Issues in Power Distribution Systems,” Electric Power Components & Systems. Vol. 34, No.6, pp. 639-651, June 2006.
- Vishal Kumar, Rohith Kumar, Indra Gupta, H. O. Gupta, “DG Integrated Approach for Service Restoration under Cold Load Pickup,” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, Vol 25, Issue 1, pp. 398-406, 2010
- A K Singh, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar “Application of Feed Forward and Recurrent Neural Network Topologies for the Modeling and Identification of Binary Distillation Column” IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 59, Issue 2, pp. 167-175, 2013
- Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi,“Optimal Placement of Different type of DG Sources in Distribution Networks”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 53, pp. 752-760, December 2013.
- Amit K. Singh, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “First Principle Modeling and Neural Network Based Empirical Modeling with Experimental Validation of Binary Distillation Column” Chemical Product and Process Modeling, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 53-70, 2013.
- Amit K. Singh, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “Classical and Neural Network Based Approach of Model Predictive Control for Binary Continuous Distillation Column,” Chemical Product and Process Modeling, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 71-87, 2014.
- Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Cost–benefit Analysis for Optimal Distributed Generation Placement in Distribution Systems”, International Journal of Ambient Energy, (Taylor & Francis),Vol. 36, March 2015.
- K S Sajan, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi,“ GA based SVM for on-line Voltage Monitoring”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 73, pp. 200-208, 2015
- Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “Application of Fractional Order PID Controller for AGC under Deregulated Environment,” International Journal of Automation and Computing-Springer, Vol.12, No.1, 2017.
- Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, “Multi-area AGC Scheme using Imperialist Competition Algorithm in Re-structured Power System,” Applied Soft Computing-Elsevier, Vol.48, pp.160-168, 2016.
- Satish Kansal, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Hybrid approach for optimal placement of multiple DGs of multiple types in distribution networks”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 75, pp. 226-235, Feb. 2016
- K S Sajan, Vishal Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, “Phased Optimal PMU Placement Based on Revised Analytical Hierarchy Process”, Electric Power Components & Systems, Vol. 44, Issue 9, 2016.
- Nagendra Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar “Multi-area Deregulated Automatic Generation Control Scheme of Power System Using Imperialist Competitive Algorithm Based Robust Controller,” IETE Journal of Research-Taylor & Francis, Vol. 64, Issue 4, 2018, pp-528-537
- Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar, Rajendra Pratap, “Prototyping and Hardware-in-Loop Verification of Overcurrent Relay”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 12, Issue 12, 10 July 2018, p. 2837 – 2845.
- Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Microgrid control: A comprehensive survey”, Annual Reviews in Control, Volume 45, 2018, Pages 118-151
- Sanjay Kumar, Barjeev Tyagi, Vishal Kumar, Sunita Chohan, “Incremental PMU placement considering reliability of power system network using analytical hierarchical process”, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Volume 12, Issue 16, pp. 3793-3802, Sept. 2018.
- Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Microgrid modelling: A comprehensive survey”, Annual Reviews in Control, Volume 46, 2018, Pages 216-250
- T. Joseph; B. Tyagi; V. Kumar, “Unbiased Minimum Variance Filter-Based Generator State Estimation Using PMU Measurements for Unknown Generator Input”, IEEE Systems Journal, Volume- 13, Issue-3, Sept. 2019, Pages 3176 - 3184
- Sachidananda Sen, Vishal Kumar, “Simplified Modeling and HIL Validation of Solar PVs and Storage Based Islanded Microgrid with Generation Uncertainties”, IEEE Systems Journal, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/JSYST.2019.2917754
- Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar and Rajendra Pratap, “Design and Verification of Hardcore Reconfigurable Relay for Islanding Detection and Subsequent Mode Adaptation of Microgrid", International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, 2019; e2807 (https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2751-9040)
- Praveen Kumar, Vishal Kumar and Rajendra Pratap, “FPGA based design and HIL verification of a soft-core directional-OCR", Electric Power Component and Systems, (Accepted for Publication, 2019)
- T. Joseph, B. Tyagi, and V. Kumar, “Adaptive Optimal Wide Area Controller for Multi-Area Power System using PMU Measurements, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, https://digital-library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/iet-gtd.2019.0548