Karun Rawat Assistant Professor karunfec[at]iitr.ac.in +911332284830 Website
Areas of Interest
- Power Amplifiers:, Broadband, load modulation, Doherty PA, pulse gate modulation, High Efficient PAs, Switch Mode PAs
- Transceiver Design:, All-digital transmitters, Transceivers, Digital control of RF circuits, Transmit/Receive module
- Chip Design:, CMOS and GaN MMIC based power amplifiers design, mixed signal design, GaN MMIC based RF Chip design
- Modelling:, RF Power Amplifier Design with Embedding Device Model, Non-linear device modelling
- RF Circuits:, Multi-port Networks, Modulators , RF Analog Processing, mixers, LNA
- Embedded Design:, FPGA based transceivers for wireless applications
- Sensor Integration with IOT:, IOT based pedestrian counting, Cloud centric IOT
- Wireless Communication using embedded platforms:, Software defined radio for Wireless communication
|2014||Till Date||Assistant Professor||Department of Electronics and Communication, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2013||2014||Assistant Professor||Centre for Applied Research in Electronics, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi|
|2012||2013||Postdoctoral Fellow||iRadio Lab, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary|
|2003||2007||Scientist/Engineer-SC||Microwave Sensors Receiver Division at Space Applications Centre, Indian Space Research Organization|
Honors and Awards
|Technical Advisor Position||Avantel Ltd.||2014|
|Member Editorial Board||Wiley International Journal RFMiCAE||2013|
|2009, 2010, 2011, Research Production Award||University of Calgary||2011|
|First Prize in 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge||Wireless Innovation Forum||2010|
|Best Design Prize 3rd Annual Smart Radio Challenge||Wireless Innovation Forum||2010|
|PhD||Electrical and Computers Engineering||University of Calgary, Canada||2012|
|MS||Electrical and Computers Engineering||University of Calgary, Canada||2009|
|BE||Electronics & Communication Engineering||C.C.S. University Meerut,India||2002|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Broad-Band Gallium Nitride Based Doherty Power Amplifier for Efficient Amplification of High Crest F||DST||2014|
|Experiments development for Software defined radio SDR-lab||Amitec Electronics Ltd.||2014|
Participation in seminars
|IEEE APMC 2016 as Publication Chair||New Delhi||IEEE APMC 2016||5/12/2016|
|IEEE APMC 2016 as Amplifiers and/or GaN device related techniques Session Chair||New Delhi||IEEE APMC 2016||5/12/2016|
|National Conference on III-Nitride Materials and Devices as Guest Speaker||New Delhi||SSPL, DRDO||9/02/2015|
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2014 as Workshop organizer/Speaker||Bangalore||IEEE MTT IMaRC Conference||15/12/2014|
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2014 as Power Amplifier Session Co-chair||Bangalore||IEEE MTT||15/12/2014|
|IEEE IMaRC Conference 2013 as Exhibition co-chair||New Delhi||IEEE MTT||14/12/2013|
- IEEE, Senior Member
- Wiley Journal: RFMiCAE (Radio frequency and microwave computer aided engineering), Member Editorial board
- IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Society, Member
- IEEE Circuit and Systems Society, Member
- IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, Member
- IEEE Electronic Devices Society, Member
- IEEE Young Professionals, Member
- IEEE Solid State Circuits Society, Member
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Design of High Efficiency Multi-Standard Multi-Stage Doherty Power Amplifier.||Girish Kumar Ajmera|
|Six Port Modulator Design using Six Port Microwave Network||Lalbahadur Dube|
|Design of harmonic terminated power amplifier||Parul Gupta|
|Design and Optimisation of Doherty Power Amplier with Extended Efficiency Range||Akhilesh K|
|Modeling of GaN HEMT and RF Power Amplifier Design||Samarth Saxena|
|Broadband Class E RF Power Amplifier||Pankaj Kakkad|
|GaN Based Switch Mode Power Amplifier In Class-D Mode||Jai Datt Poonia|
|Wide band Distributed RF power amplifier||Ram Babu Kumar|
|Wideband Push-pull Power Amplifier||Varun Deep Singh|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Reconfigurable Concurrent Multi-band Doherty Power Amplifier||Robin Kalyan||O||2013|
|Bandwidth and Dynamic Range Extension of Load Modulation in Doherty PA Architecture||Ayushi Barthwal||O||2014|
|Characterization & Mitigation of Linear & Non-Linear Distortions in Six-Port Modulator||Chetan Pathak||O||2014|
|Bandwidth and back-off enhancement in Doherty Power Amplifier||Sujata Ghosh||O||2015|
|LINC Transmitter Design for Multiband Applications||Ekta Aggrawal||O||2015|
|Efficiency Enhancement Schemes In Power Amplifiers For Wideband Applications||Y. Mary Asha Latha||O||2015|
|Power Amplifier Design at High RF Frequency||Hemant Kumar Singhal||O||2015|
|All Digital Transmitter using Delta Sigma Modulation||Nishant Kumar||O||2016|
|Reliability of Gallium-Nitride based High Electron Mobility Transistor and circuits||Sourabh Jindal||O||2015|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Ohio State University||To Deliver Invited Talk and Seek for possible collaboration||11/11/2013|
|University of Calgary||For Carrying out ongoing Research Collaboration||11/06/2014|
|Invited talk on Bandwidth enhancement of load modulation techniques in Power amplifiers for upcoming wireless communication||IEEE ARFTG Microwave Measurement Symposium||T||2017|
|Talk on Design methodologies of power amplifiers at National Level Short term course on Signal Processing and VLSI Design||IEEE Electronic Devices Delhi Chapter||I||2017|
|Recent Trends in RF Power Amplifier and Wireless Transmitter Design||IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2015, China||T||2015|
|Talk on Advances on Power Amplifier||National Conference on III-Nitride Materials and Devices||T||2015|
|Talk on Understanding load modulation in power amplifiers at Target Training Program on Gallium Nitride device simulation and power amplifier design,||SSPL, DRDO||T||2015|
|talk on the RF Power Amplifiers and Architectures for Upcoming Wireless Communication||IEEE MSIT Delhi Chapter||T||2014|
|Talk on the Techniques in Multi-band/Multi-standard Doherty Power Amplifiers for Wireless Transmitters||IEEE MTT/APS Columbus Chapter, ElectroScience Laboratory, Ohio State University||T||Nov 2013|
|Talk on the Concept of Load-Modulation in Doherty Power Amplifier for Wireless Transmitters||IEEE MTT-Delhi chapter||T||May 2013|
|talk on the Power efficient multi-band/ multi-standard wireless transmitter for software defined radios||IEEE MTT Delhi Chapter||T||May 2013|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|RF Power Amplifiers and Application of Digital Techniques in RF||Cabinet Secretariat New Delhi||11/04/2014|
|RF Techniques For Software Defined Radios||Cabinet Secretariat New Delhi||12/04/2014|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Member Organizing Committee IMaRC 2013||IEEE MTT||14/12/2013|
|Publication Chair IEEE Asia Pacific Microwave Conference APMC 2016||IEEE MTT||5-9 Dec.16|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Radio Frequency Transmitter Technology for Upcoming Wireless Communication||MNNIT Allahabad||03/03/2017|
|Microwave Engineering: RF Matching Techniques||UIE, Kurukshetra University||20/10/2016|
|GaN Based Devices||RCI, DRDO, Hyderabad||17/02/2016|
|Advances on power Amplifier||Solid State Physics Laboratory, DRDO, New Delhi||09/02/2015|
|Concurrent Multi-band Power Amplification for Wireless Communication||NIT Delhi||03/07/2014|
|Future developments of RF Transmitters for wireless communication||C-DOT, Bangalore||17/12/2014|
|Recent Trends and Advancements in Wireless Transmitter Design||UIE, Kurukshetra University||08/05/2014|
National International Collaboration
|1. All-digital transmitter with pulse load modulation scheme 2. Memory effect compensation in Hybrid RF/Digital Predistortion system||University of Calgary (Prof. Fadhel.M. Ghannouchi)||RP|
|Power Amplifier design using non-linear embedded modelling||Ohio State University (Prof. Patrick Roblin)||RP|
|Electronic Band-gap, meta-materials for multi-band multi-harmonic matching networks.||University of Calgary (Prof. F. Falcone)||RP|
|Multi-band Transmitter and Power Amplifier design||Tsinghua University Beijing (Prof. W. Chen)||RP|
|Concurrent Multi-band Doherty Power Amplifier||I.I.T Delhi||PHD|
|Broadband Power Amplifier for efficient transmission of high Crest factor signals||I.I.T Delhi||PHD|
- Published book with title: “Multiband RF Circuits and Techniques for Wireless Transmitters”, Springer Verlag GmbH.
Refereed Journal Papers
Journal Articles Published
- A. Barthwal, K. Rawat, S.K. Koul, "A Design Strategy for Bandwidth Enhancement in Three-stage Doherty Power Amplifier with Extended Dynamic Range" accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Aug. 2017.
- E. Aggrawal, K. Rawat, P. Roblin, " Investigating Continuous Class-F Power Amplifier Using Nonlinear Embedding Model", IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, vol. 27, no. 6, pages 593-595, Jun. 2017.
- R. Kalyan, K. Rawat, S.K. Koul, "Reconfigurable and Concurrent Dual-band Doherty Power Amplifier for Multi-band and Multi-standard Applications", IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol. 65, no. 1, pages 198-208, Jan. 2017.
- S. Saxena, K. Rawat, P. Roblin," Continuous Class-B/J Power Amplifier Using Nonlinear Embedding Technique", IEEE Transactions on Circuit & System-II, vol. 64, no. 7, pages 837-841, Nov. 2016.
- K. Rawat, G. Gowrish, G. Ajmera, A. Basu, S.K. Koul, "Design scheme for broadband Doherty power amplifier using broadband load combiner", Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 25, Issue 8, pages 655–674, Oct. 2015.
- R. Kalyan, K. Rawat, K. S.K. Koul, " Design strategy of concurrent multi-band Doherty power amplifier", IET Microwaves, Antenna & Propagation, vol. 9, no. 12, pages:1313-1322, Sep. 2015.
- A. Barthwal, K. Rawat, S.K. Koul, "Bandwidth Enhancement of Three-Stage Doherty Power Amplifier Using Symmetric Devices", IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol. 63, no. 8, pages: 2399-2410, Aug. 2015.
- M. Jouzdani, M. M. Ebrahimi, K. Rawat, M. Helaoui, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Envelope Tracked Pulse Gate Modulated GaN HEMT Power Amplifier for Wireless Transmitters, ” IEEE Transaction on circuits and Systems-I, vol. 62, no. 2, pages:571-579, Feb. 2015.
- R. Bhattacharya, A. Basu, K. Rawat, S.K. Koul, “A high efficiency inductor-less broadband fully integrated CMOS power amplifier, ” Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 25, no. 4, pages 311–320, May 2015.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, R. Darraji, F. E. Alfaro, S. A. Bassam, M. Helaoui, F. M. Ghannouchi, M. Fattouche and F. Falcone, “Cooperative network solution and implementation for emergency applications with enhanced position estimation capability,” Wireless Networks, vol. 20, Issue 5, pages 1157-1168, Jul. 2014.
- L. Azpilicueta, M. Rawat, K. Rawat, F. Ghannouchi, and F. Falcone, “A Ray Launching-Neural Network Approach for Radio Wave Propagation Analysis in Complex Indoor Environments, ” in IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 2777-2786, May 2014.
- R. Bhattacharya, R. Gupta, A. Basu, K. Rawat and S. K. Koul, "A Fully Integrated Dual-Band CMOS Power Amplifier Using a Variable Switched Interstage Matching Network", IETE Journal of Research, Volume 60, Issue 2, 2014,pp- 139-144.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, F. Ghannouchi, S. Bhattacharjee and H. Leung, “Generalized Rational Functions for Reduced Complexity Behavioral Modeling and Digital Predistortion of Broadband Wireless Transmitters,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement., vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 485 - 498, February 2014.
- K. Rawat, M. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual Band branch-line hybrid with distinct power division ratio at two bands ” Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 23, no. 1, Jan. 2013, pages 90–98.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, M. Younes and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Joint Mitigation of Non-Linearity and modulator imperfections in a dual-band Concurrent Transmitter Using Neural Networks," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 49: Issue 4, pp. 253-255, February 2013.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Three-Layered Biased Memory Polynomial for Dynamic Modeling and Predistortion of Transmitters,” IEEE Transaction on circuits and Systems-I, vol. 60, no. 3, pages:768-777, March 2013.
- K. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Double the band and optimize” IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 13, no. 2, pages: 69-82, April 2012.
- K. Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Dual-Band RF Circuits and Components for Multi-standard Software Defined Radios” IEEE Circuit and Sys. Magazine, vol. 12, no. 1, pages: 12-32, Mar. 2012.
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Design methodology for dual-band Doherty power amplifier with performance enhancement using dual-Band offset lines,” IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, vol.59, no. 12, pages:4831-4842, Dec. 2012.
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Novel Dual-Band Matching Technique Based on Dual-Characteristic Impedance Transformer for Dual-Band Power Amplifier Design” IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 5, no. 14, pages: 1720-1729, Nov 2011.
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, M.Rawat, M.S. Hashmi, “Analysis of Frequency Selective Impedance Loading of Transmission Lines for Dual Band Couplers,” Wiley International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, vol. 21, no. 3, pages: 325-335, May 2011.
- W. Chen, S.A. Bassam, Li Xiang, Liu Yucheng, K. Rawat, M. Helaoui, F.M. Ghannouchi and F. Zhenghe,“ Design and linearization of concurrent dual-band Doherty power amplifier with frequency-dependent power ranges,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 2537–2546, Oct. 2011.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, and F. M. Ghannouchi, “Recent Advances on Signal Processing Solutions for Distortion Mitigation Due to Power Amplifier and Non-Ideality of Transmitter System,” Journal Recent Patents on Signal Processing, vol. 1: no. 2, pp. 135-142, Dec. 2011.
- K. Rawat, M. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Compensating I-Q Imperfections in Hybrid RF/Digital Predistortion with Adapted Look up Table Implemented in FPGA,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, vol. 57, no. 5, pages: 389-393, May 2010.
- M. S. Hashmi, F. M. Ghannouchi, P. J. Tasker, K. Rawat, “Highly Reflective Load-Pull Techniques for Microwave Power Device Characterization,” IEEE microwave Magazine, vol.12 , no.4, pages: 96 - 107, Jan. 2010.
- M. Rawat, K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “Adaptive Digital Predistortion of Wireless Power Amplifiers/Transmitters Using Dynamic Real-Valued Focused Time-Delay Line Neural Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques, vol.58 , no.1, pages: 95-104, Jan 2010.
- K. Rawat, F.M. Ghannouchi, “A Design Methodology for Miniaturized Power Dividers using Periodically Loaded Slow Wave Structure with Dual Band Applications,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave theory and Techniques , vol. 57, no. 12, part 2, pages: 3380-3388, Dec 2009.