Usha Lenka Associate Professor ushalfdm[at]iitr.ac.in
Areas of Interest
- Human Resource Management, Creativity and Innovation, Talent Management and Competencey Development, Management of Change
- Human Resource Management, Organizational Development, Workplace Deviance, Employer Branding, Employee Engagement
- Human Resource Management, Knowledge Management, Women Entrepreneurship, Workplace Spirituality, Gender Diversity
- Marketing Management, Service Quality, Customer Satisfaction, Consumer Behaviour, Integrated Marketing Communications
- Human Resource Management, Learning Organization, Educational Leadership, Workplace Deviance, Employer Branding
|Nov 2015||Till date||Associate Professor||Management Studies, IIT Roorkee|
|Dec 2010||Oct 2015||Asistant Professor||Management Studies, IIT Roorkee|
|2013||2014||Visiting Faculty||Indian Institute of Management Shillong|
|2008||Dec 2010||Assistant Professor||Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences, Pilani, Raj|
|2005||2007||Research Assistant||Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur|
Honors and Awards
|SHASTRI INDO CANADIAN FELLOWSHIP||Shastri Indo Canadian Institute||2015-16|
|Prof. Durganand Sinha Gold Medal for Best PhD Dissertation||National Academy of Psychology||2011|
|Best Research Paper Awards at||Management Doctoral Colloquium at Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur||Feb 2017|
|Best Paper Award||ICHEM and ISAET International Conference held in Singapore||2015|
|Ph.D.||Management||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||2008|
|July 2018||Till Date||CHIEF WARDEN||SAROJINI BHAWAN|
|June 2015||JUNE 2018||WARDEN||SAROJINI BHAWAN|
|2014||Till date||Faculty Advisor Cultural Council-Programme Management Section||DOSW, IIT Roorkee|
|2012||Till date||Member Anti Ragging Committee||DOSW, IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Factors influencing consumer socialization of children and its consequences||ICSSR||2016|
|Exploring dynamics of potential women entrepreneurs||SRIC IIT Roorkee||2012|
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Management of Change||BM 637||MBA||Spring|
|Human Resource Analytics||BM 691||MBA||Autumn|
|Training and Talent Development||BM 635||MBA||Autumn|
|Business Communication||BM 507||MBA||Autumn|
|Knowledge Management||IBM 01||UG||Spring|
|Management Concepts and Practices||BM 201||UG||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Impact of socialization agents on pester power and materialism among children||Vandana||A||July 2011|
|A study of innovation process in Indian pharmaceutical companies||Minisha Gupta||A||Aug 2011|
|Enablers of learning organization: A case of management institutes in India||Saniya Chawla||A||Dec 2011|
|Talent Development and Engagement of Survivors: A Study of IT/ITES Sector in India||Binita Tiwari||A||July, 2012|
|Enablers of Retention of Gen Y Talent: A Study of IT Industry in India||Mohammad Faraz Naim||A||July 2013|
|Factors Affecting Women Employees Engagement and Performance in Indian IT Industry||Debashish Sahoo||A||Dec 2012|
|Promotion of Women Entrepreneurship through Competency Development||Sucheta Agarwal||A||July 2013|
|Impact of HR practices on workplace deviance||Pooja Malik||O||Dec 2014|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Indian Institute of Management Raipur||Visiting Faculty||2015-16|
|Indian Institute of Management Shillong||Visiting Faculty||2013-2014|
|Research Methodology and Data Analysis||Department of Computer Science, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar||I||2018|
|Lecture on Structural Equation Modeling and Data Analysis||Panjabi University Patiala||G||2014|
|'Research Methodology: Interdisciplinary Perspectives and Emerging Scenario'||UGC Academic Staff College at BPS Mahila Vishwavidhyalaya, Khanpur Kalan, Sonepat, Haryana||I||2014|
|Relevance of Knowledge Management in Organizations||GLA University Mathura||G||2015|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Organizing Secretary, International Conference on Research in Sustainable Business ICRBS15||IIT Roorkee||4-6Dec2015|
|Convener, National Conference on Paradigm for Sustainable Business: People, Planet, and Profit||IIT Roorkee||8-9Mar2013|
|Short term program on Structural Equation Modeling||CEC||May 2013|
|Fundamentals and Applications of Structural Equation Modelling||CEC||Dec 2013|
|Thesis/Technical Writing||QIP||Aug 2013|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Research Methodology||Continuing Education, IIT Roorkee||29.12.2012|
|Research Methodology : Tools and Techniques||Continuing Education, IIT Roorkee||11.4.2013|
|Management of change (Power Finance Corporation)||Continuing Education Centre, IIT Roorkee||21.6.2013|
|Management of change, (Power Finance Corporation)||Continuing Education Centre, IIT Roorkee||9.8.2013|
|Management of change, (Power Finance Corporation)||Continuing Education Centre, IIT Roorkee||5.9.2013|
|Fundamentals and Applications of Structural Equation Modelling’||Continuing Education Centre, IIT Roorkee||29.12.2013|
|Fundamentals and Applications of Structural Equation Modelling||Continuing Education Centre IIT Roorkee||25.5.2014|
|Case Based Learning in Business & Management||QIP SHORT TERM COURSE, IIT Roorkee||18.6.2011|
|Thesis/Technical Writing||QIP IIT Roorkee||21.8.2013|
|Case Based Learning in Business & Management,||QIP SHORT TERM COURSE, IIT Roorkee||11.10.2013|
|Strategic Human Resource Management||QIP SHORT TERM COURSE, IIT Roorkee||6.2.2014|
|Cases on Strategic Human Resource Management||Continuing Education Centre IIT Roorkee||6.5.2014|
|Case Based Learning in Business & Management||QIP Centre, IIT Roorkee||16.6.2015|
|Lecture on Motivation for security personnel||DOMS, IIT Roorkee||18.6.2013|
|Lecture on team building for security personnel||DOMS, IIT Roorkee||20.6.2013|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Chawla S.,& Lenka U. (2018). Leadership in VUCA Environment. In: Dhir S., Sushil (eds) Flexible Strategies in VUCA Markets. Flexible Systems Management, pp. 213-224. Springer, Singapore. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-8926-8_16
- Malik, P., Lenka, U., & Sahoo, D. K. (2018). Proposing micro-macro HRM strategies to overcome challenges of workforce diversity and deviance in ASEAN, Journal of Management Development, 37(1), 1-22.
- Mohammad Faraz Naim, & Lenka, U. (2018). Development and retention of Generation Y employees: A conceptual framework. Employee Relations, 40 (2), 433–455. EMERALD
- Agarwal, A., & Lenka, U. (2018). Why research needed in women entrepreneurship in India: A viewpoint. International Journal of Social Economics, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-07-2017-0298
- Malik, Pooja., & Lenka, U. (2018). Integrating antecedents of workplace deviance: Utilizing AHP approach. Journal of Indian Business Research, 10(1), 101–122,
- Lenka, U. & Agarwal, S. (2017). Role of women entrepreneurs and NGOs in promoting entrepreneurship: Case studies from Uttarakhand, India. Journal of Asia Business Studies, 11 (4), 451–465. EMERALD
- Naim, M. F., Lenka, U. (2017). Linking knowledge sharing, competency development, and affective commitment: evidence from Indian Gen Y employees. Journal of Knowledge Management 21(4), 885-906. EMERALD
- Naim, M. F., Lenka, U. (2017). The impact of social media and collaboration on Gen Y employees’ engagement. International Journal of Development Issues 16(3), 289-299. EMERALD
- Mohammad, F. N., & Lenka, U. (2017). A conceptual model of retention of Gen Y employees. International Journal of Business and Systems Research, 11(1/2, 28–41. Inderscience Publishers
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2017). Talent management: a burgeoning strategic focus in Indian IT industry. Industrial and Commercial Training, 49(4), 183-188. EMERALD
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2017). Investigating the impact of social media on Gen Y employees’ engagement: An empirical investigation. International Journal of Human capital for Information Technology Professionals, 8(3), 29-48.
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2017). Are competencies essential for venture growth? : A case study of India women entrepreneurs. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business, 31(2).
- M. F. Naim., & Lenka, U. (2017). Mentoring, social media, and Gen Y employees' intention to stay: towards a conceptual model. International Journal of Business and Systems Research 11 (1-2), 28-41
- Lenka, U., &Tiwari, B. (2016). Achieving Triple ‘P’ bottom line through Resonant Leadership: An Indian perspective. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 69(5), 694–703. EMERALD
- Sahoo, Debashish. K., & Lenka, U. (2016). Breaking the glass ceiling: Opportunity for the organization. Industrial and Commercial Training, 48(6). EMERALD
- Mohammad, F. N., & Lenka, U. (2016). Knowledge sharing as an intervention for Gen Y employees’ intention to stay. Industrial and Commercial Training, 48(3). EMERALD
- Agarwal, Sucheta., & Lenka, U. (2016). An exploratory study on the development of women entrepreneurs: Indian cases. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 18 (2), pp.232-247,
- Lenka, U., Minisha Gupta., & Sahoo, Debashish. K. (May - June 2016). Research and development teams as a perennial source of competitive advantage for organizational creativity and innovation. Global Business Review, 17(3). SAGE
- Chawla, S., & Lenka, U. (2016).Organizational level antecedents of learning organizations for Indian higher educational institutes: An exploratory study. International journal of Management in Education, 10(1). Inderscience Publishers
- Lenka, U. & Vandana. (2015). Direct and indirect influence of interpersonal and environmental agents on materialism in children. Psychological Studies. SPRINGER
- Tiwari,B., & Lenka, U. (2016). Building psychological safety for employee engagement in post-recession. Development and Learning in Organizations, 30(1). EMERALD
- Tiwari,B., & Lenka, U. (2015). Building and branding talent hub: An outlook. Industrial and Commercial Training, 47(4). EMERALD
- Lenka, U., & Chawla, S. (2015). Higher educational institutes as learning organizations for building a strong employer brand. Industrial and Commercial Training, 47(5). EMERALD
- Chawla, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). A study on learning organizations in Indian higher educational institutions. Journal of Workplace Learning, 27(2). EMERALD
- Chawla, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). Resonant leaders: An impetus to change the organizations. Development and Learning in Organizations, 29(6). EMERALD
- Lenka, U., & Vandana (September-October 2015). A review on impact of socialization agents in breeding consumerism among children. Global Business Review, 16(5). SAGE
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). Study on Work Life Balance of Women Entrepreneurs - Review and Research Agenda. Industrial and Commercial Training, 47(7). EMERALD
- Vandana, & Lenka, U. (2014). A Review on the Role of Media in Increasing Materialism among Children. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 133 (1), 456–464. ELSEVIER
- Lenka, U., Suar, D., & Mohapatra, P.K.J. (2010). Quality management practices of Indian commercial banks influencing customer satisfaction. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, Vol 21 (12). TAYLOR & FRANCIS
- Lenka, U., Suar, D., & Mohapatra, P.K.J. (2010). Soft and hard aspects of quality management practices influencing service quality and customer satisfaction in manufacturing-oriented services. Global Business Review, Vol. 11(1). SAGE
- Lenka, U., Suar, D., & Mohapatra, P.K.J. (2009). Service quality, customer satisfaction, and customer loyalty in Indian commercial banks. Journal of Entrepreneurship, Vol. 18 (1). SAGE
- Lenka, U., & Suar, D. (2008). A holistic model of total quality management in services. ICFAI Journal of Management Research, 7(3).
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2014). A Conceptual Framework on Women Entrepreneurs: Problems and Prospects. Advances in Economics and Business Management, 1 (3), ISSN 2394-1545.
- Saniya, C., & Lenka, U. (2013). Role of transformational leaders in developing higher educational institutions as learning organizations- An Indian perspective. Global Journal of Finance and Management, 5(10), 30-33.
- Sharma, S., & Lenka, U. (2018). How Organizations Learn: Models Uncovering the Black Box. Development and Learning in Organizations. EMERALD
- Sharma, S., & Lenka, U. (2018). Value Added Statement as a Trigger to Organizational Unlearning. Development and Learning in Organizations. EMERALD
- Malik, P., & Lenka, U. (2017). Enabling constructive deviance and disabling destructive deviance among employees: Role of HRM practices International Journal of Management Practice. Inderscience Publishers
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2017). An exploration of the relationahip between knowledge sharing and Gen Y employees’ engagement. In Proceedings of 3rd Management Development Consortium, IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur.
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2016), “Mentoring as a driver of Gen Y employees’ engagement: Toward a conceptual model“, In Proceedings of 14th HUSOC Conference, PEOPLE: International Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN 2454-5899, Dubai (22-23 February. 2016). [Young Researcher Award]
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2016), “Mentoring as an innovative strategy to reduce Gen Y turnover: A conceptual analysis” In Proceedings of ICIBK-2016, Ansal University, Gurgaon. ISBN 9789385936050 (11-12 February, 2016).
- Agarwal, S., Lenka, U., & Agrawal, V. (2016). An empirical investigation of self-confidence of Indian women entrepreneurs published in Emerging themes in strategy, pp.104-115, ISBN 978-93-85965-80-7
- Malik, P., & Lenka, U. Impact of globalization on workforce diversity and deviance at workplace in ASEAN. Communicated in the 5th ICADA-SSIS 2016 at NIDA, Bangkok Campus, Thailand.
- Saniya Chawla, & Lenka, U. Learning Organization- A Strong Employer Brand? ICHEM and ISAET 2015 International Conference Program Singapore March 27-28, 2015. ISBN 978-93-84422-13-4.
- Tiwari, B., & Lenka, U. Intrapreneurship: a key to employee engagement in post-recession. Published in conference proceedings of International Conference on ‘Research and Business Sustainability’ ICRBS 2015 held on December 4-6, 2015 organized by IIT Roorkee- Greater NOIDA Campus, ISBN: 978-93-84935-59-7
- Malik, P., & Lenka, U. Impact of HR practices on workplace deviance through perceived organizational support. Published in conference proceedings of International Conference on ‘Research and Business Sustainability’ ICRBS 2015 held on December 4-6, 2015 organized by IIT Roorkee- Greater NOIDA Campus, ISBN: 978-93-84935-59-7
- Tiwari, B., & Lenka, U. Role of Resonant Leaders in Engaging Employees of Firms Facing Economic Crisis. Published in conference proceedings of International Conference on Trends in Economics, Humanities and Management (ICTEHM-2015) held on March 27-28, 2015, Singapore, ISBN 978-93-84422-13-4 [Best Paper Award]
- Tiwari, B., & Lenka, U. An empirical investigation of the role of strategic leadership in engaging knowledge workers of Indian IT sector. Published in conference e-proceedings INCONSYM 2015-3rd International Conference on “Creating Opportunities in Emerging Markets – A Global Approach, held on February 13-14, 2015, Noida, ISBN 978-81-928678-1-6
- Sahoo, D. K., & Lenka, U (2015). Human resource management intervention a precursor to female employee engagement published as e-proceedings of the Interational conference on Research and Business Sustainability organized by IIT Roorkee and Sheffield Business School, pp. 638-641, ISBN-978-93-84935-59-7
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2015), “Workplace collaboration and Gen Y employees' engagement: A social media-based approach”, In Proceedings of International Conference on Research and Business Sustainability (ICRBS), 4-6 December organized by IIT Roorkee- Greater NOIDA Campus, ISBN: 978-93-84935-59-7
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2015), “ A conceptual model of retention of Gen Y employees”. In Proceedings of international Conference on Evidence Based Management (ICEBM), 20-21 March 2015, BITS Pilani (pp. 483-490) ISBN 979384935184v
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). An Analysis on Leadership Role: Case of Indian Women Entrepreneur published in Eleventh Biennial Conference on Entrepreneurship, pp. 983-991, ISBN 978-93-80574-77-6.
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). Review on Motivational Factors of Women Entrepreneurship published as e-proceedings in Creating Opportunities in Emerging Markets- A Global Approach, pp. 86-96, ISBN 978-81-928678-1-6.
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2015). Factors affecting the involvement of women entrepreneurs to develop self enterprises: An empirical investigation published as e-proceedings in International Conference on Research and Business Sustainability, pp. 602-606, ISBN 978-93-84935-59-7.
- Naim, M. F. & Lenka, U. (2014), “Conceptualizing the role of social media in the retention of Gen Y employees”. Presented at 14th Consortium of Students in Management Research (COSMAR-14), 21– 22 November . 2014, IISc Banagalore.
- Tiwari, B., & Lenka, U. Role of resonant leaders to develop survivors in downsized firms. Proceedings of 23rd International Business Research Conference held on November 18-20, 2013, Melbourne, Australia, ISBN: 978-1-922069-36-8
- Vandana & Lenka, U. (2013). Borderless selling through celebrity endorsement: A concern towards child consumerism. Conference Proceedings- Vishwakarma Institute of Management, 22-24 February, 2013. ISBN No. 978-81-920768-5-0.
- Gupta, K., & Lenka, U. (2013). Role of Workplace Spirituality in Training and Development to develop Talent pool in the organization. Conference proceedings of ‘National conference on paradigm for sustainable business: People, planet, and profit’ held on 8th and 9th March 2013, pp. 23.
COVERAGE IN NEWSPAPER
- Agarwal, S., & Lenka, U. (2015, April 7). An Analysis on Leadership Role: Case of Indian Women Entrepreneur. Daily News and Analysis, p. 1
- REVIEWER OF INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS 1. The Learning Organization (EMERALD) 2. Current Directions in Psychological Science (ELSEVIER) 3. Psychological Report (Ammons Scientific) 4. The International Journal of Human Resource Management (TAYLOR AND FRANCIS) 5. International Journal of Decision Science, Risk, and Management (INDERSCIENCE) 6. The International Journal of Management in Education (INDERSCIENCE) 7. The Journal of Asia Business Studies (EMERALD)