Dr. Prasenjit Mondal
Parsenjit Mondal Associate Professor pmondfch[at]iitr.ac.in +911332285181
Areas of Interest
- Energy and environmental engineering, Water treatment, energy from biomass & wastes, separation processes, LCA, waste plastics management
|2014||Tilltodate||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2009||2014||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2009||2009||Assistant Professor||MNNIT Allahabad|
|1999||2000||Plant Officer||Hind Lever Chemicals Ltd.|
|1997||1998||Shift In Charge||Jay Shree Chemicals and Fertilizers|
Honors and Awards
|ACS membership award||IIT Roorkee||2015|
|Visiting Professor||University of Saskatchewan , Canada||2018|
|NTSE scholarship||Govt. of India|
|financial sponsorship from University of Tokyo, Japan to present paper in 7th (SEAWE-2009)||University of Tokio , Japan||2009|
|Ph. D.||Chemical||IIT Roorkee||2008|
|2012||2015||Dy. Chairman (Admin)||Community Dairy, IIT Roorkee|
|2015||2017||Dy. Chairman DAPC||Dept. of Chemical Eng., IIT Roorkee|
|2015||to date||Coordinator, Write Off Committee||Dept. of Chemical Eng., IIT Roorkee|
|2015||to date||O. C. Building and electric maintenance||Dept. of Chemical Eng., IIT Roorkee|
|2016||till date||O.C. Office||Dept. of Chemical Eng., IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|‘Mini DME: A custom designed solution to bring stranded gas to the energy markets||India Australia strategic research fund (Network project)||2013|
|Indo-French water Network Project||DST- CEFIPRA||2016|
|Sustainable grey water (GW) treatment technology for community buildings||DST- WTI||2018|
|Study of biodiesel production in mini channel reactor-experimentation and numerical analysis||CSIR||2017|
|Development and application of low cost filter for treating arsenic and fluoride containing groundwa||MHRD-SAP||2018|
|Inspection/Monitoring of grossly polluting industries (GPIs)||CPCB||2018|
|Inspection/Monitoring of grossly polluting industries (GPIs)||CPCB||2017|
|Delayed coking studies for HPCL (M) refinery||HPCL||2009|
|Delayed coking studies on RIL feedstock for the production of anode/ needle grade coke||RIL||2007|
|Development of low cost system for the treatment of arsenic and fluoride contaminated groundwater fo||Ministry of drinking water and sanitation, Govt. of India||2012|
|Development of gasification technology for the production of synthesis of synthesis gas from carbo||CSIR||2007|
|Delayed coking studies on RIL blended feedstock for the production of anode/ needle grade coke||RIL||2009|
|Production of hydrogen rich gas from Indian coal through catalytic steam gasification||MHRD, Govt. of India||2012|
|Studies on effectiveness of iodine and heat removal from PHWR primary containment during LOCA by s||NPCIL, Mumbai||2012|
Participation in seminars
|Nano for Energy and Water (NEW)||UPES, Dehradun||DST-IFWN||Feb 2017|
|25th Canadian Catalysis Symposium||University of Saskachewan, Canada||Canadian catalysis society and others||May 2018|
|12th International Symposium on Southeast Asian Water Environment (SEAWE 2016)||Hanoi, Vietnam||Tokyo Univ. and others||Nov 2016|
|Indian conference on life cycle management (ILCM) 2016||New delhi||FICCI||Oct 2016|
|Indian conference on life cycle management (ILCM) 2015||New Delhi||FICCI||Sept 2015|
|64th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference||Niagra Falls , Canada||CChES||Oct 2014|
|Indian Conference of Life Cycle Management 2014||New Delhi||FICCI||Sept 2014|
|International Clean tech seminar ‘Sustainable industrial algae production and related business oppor||New Delhi||ONGC||MArch 2014|
|International Conference on Advances in Chemical Engineering (ACE 2013)||IIT Roorkee||DST and others||Feb 2013|
|4th IWA-ASPIRE Conference and exhibition||Tokyo, Japan||IWA||Oct 2011|
|Int. Symp. on Southeast Asian water Environment, (2009)||Phuket||Tokyo Univ. and others||2009|
|National Conference on Biofuels & Bioenergy (NCBB-2015)||UPES, Dehradun||DST and others||Jun 2015|
|NCRE-2010||Tejpur Univ, Assam||DST and others||March 2010|
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineering,IICHE, Life member
- ACS, Awarded member
- Biological Engineering Scoiety, Treasurer
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Mechanical Operations||CHN-202||B.Tech 2nd year,Chemical||Autumn|
|System Approach to Environmental Engineering||CHN-515||M. Tceh.||Autumn|
|Waste to energy||CHN-572||M. Tceh.||Spring|
|Biological wastes treatment||BTN-675||M. Tceh.||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Removal of toxic organics from wastewater and energy production using EC and MFC||Ravi Shankar||A|
|Pyrolysis kinetics of biomass feedstocks and bio-oil production||Anil Kumar Verma||A|
|Treatment of arsenic and fluoride bearing water and wastewater||Lokendra Singh||A|
|Syngas/hydrogen production from natural gas||Mumtaj Shah||O||2014|
|Energy production using biotechnology: Bio hydrogen production||Amit Kr. Chaurasia||O||2015|
|Studies on green house gas components utilization to value added fuels via syngas route||KDP Lakshmee Kumar||O||2015|
|Gray wáter treatment||Pushparaj Patil||O||2017|
|Biological remediation of cyanide in a packed bed SAB reactor||Naveen Dwivedi||A|
|Biological removal of fluoride from industrial waste water||Subha Dwivedi||A|
|Synthesis of nano adsorbents and application in water treatment||Vineet Rathor||O||2012|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Technologies for clean and renewable energy production||AICTE||3/6/2013|
|5th Summer School On Petroleum Refining and Petrochemicals||Indian Oil Institute of Petroleum Technology,Gurgaon||-|
|Membrane Separations for The Desalination of Water: Materials, Processes, Applications and Transport||GIAN||Oct 2018|
|Advances in chemical and biotechnological processes for the utilization of natural resources towards||CSIR||19/10/2011|
|Refreshers Course On Petroleum Refining Technology||UGC||-|
|Petroleum Refining Technology||Fluor Danial, Gurgaon||8/9/2008|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Water treatment technologies for water challenged sites in India: opportunity for research based sol||DST-IFWN||25.02.17|
|Nano for energy and water (NEW 2017)”||DST-IFWN||Feb 2017|
|Building Sustainable Society in 21st Century: Some Important Aspects||Institution of Engineers(India)||April 2015|
|International conference on molecular signaling: recent trends in biomedical and translational resea||DBT and others||Dec 2014|
National International Collaboration
|Utilization of natural resources||University of Saskatchewan, Canada||RP|
|Indo-French water network||University of Poitiers||RP|
|Indo-French water network||University of Rennes, France||RP|
|Indo French water network||University of Montpellier||RP|
|Indo French water network||UPES Dehradun||RP|
|Indo French water network||NEERI , Nagpur||RP|
|Mini DME: A custom designed solution to bring stranded gas to the energy markets||University of Melbourne, Australia||RP|
|Mini DME: A custom designed solution to bring stranded gas to the energy markets||RMIT, Australia||RP|
|Mini DME: A custom designed solution to bring stranded gas to the energy markets||CSIRO, Australia||RP|
|Mini DME: A custom designed solution to bring stranded gas to the energy markets||IIP Dehradun||RP|
|Utilization of natural resources||University of Kentucky, USA||RP|
1. P. Mondal. R.K. Baranwal, Cadmium removal from water using agrobased adsorbents,
Lambert Academic Publishing GmbH& Co. KG, Germany, 2012.
2. P. Mondal, A. Dalai, Sustainable utilization of natural resources, CRC Press, USA, 2017
Refereed Journal Papers
- T. K. Bhattacharya, P. Mondal, Synthesis of Riboflavin 5’ Phosphate Sodium (Vitamin B2 derivative), J. of Institution of Engineers (I), 84 (2004), 47-49.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, Sedimentation of hematite water slurries, J. of Institution of Engineers (I), 85(2004), 20-23
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, Relationship among the rate constants of sedimentation of hematite slurry in water, J. of Institution of Engineers (I), 85 (2004), 17-19
- S.D.V Sagar, D.P.Singh, P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Effluent Treatment by Simultaneous Bio-degradation and Adsorption Technique, IPPTA Journal, 16 (2004), 105-109
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Laboratory based approaches for arsenic remediation from contaminated water: recent developments, Journal of Hazardous Materials, (2006), 464-479.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Quantitative separation of As(III) and As(V) from a synthetic water solution using ion exchange column in presence of Fe and Mn ions, Clean, Soil, Air, Water 35(2007), 255-260.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Treatment of resorcinol and phenol bearing waste water by simultaneous adsorption biodegradation (SAB): Optimization of process parameters, International journal of Chemical Rector Engineering, 5(S1) (2007), 1-15.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Removal of trivalent arsenic (As(III)) from contaminated water by calcium chloride (CaCl2) impregnated rice husk carbon, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 46(2007), 2550-2557.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, A Laboratory study for the treatment of arsenic, iron, and manganese bearing ground water using Fe+3 impregnated activated carbon: Effects of shaking time, pH and temperature, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 144(1-2) (2007), 420-426.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Growth of three bacteria in arsenic solution and their application for arsenic removal from wastewater, Journal of Basic Microbiology 48 (2008), 521–525
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Treatment of arsenic contaminated water in a batch reactor by using Ralstoniaeutropha MTCC 2487 and granular activated carbon, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 153 (2008), 588–599.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Treatment of arsenic contaminated water in a laboratory scale up-flow bio-column reactor, Journal of Hazardous Materials 153 (2008),136–145.
- P.Mondal,C.B.Majumder, B.Mohanty, Effects of adsorbent dose, its particle size and initial arsenic concentration on the removal of arsenic, iron and manganese from simulated ground water by Fe+3 impregnated activated carbon, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 150(2008), 695-702.
- P.Mondal,B.Mohanty, N. Bhandari, C.B.Majumder, Removal of arsenic from simulated groundwater by GAC-Fe: A Modeling approach, AIChE Journal (2009), 55(2009), 1860-1871.
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty and C.B. Majumder, Treatment of Simulated Arsenic Contaminated Groundwater Using GAC-Cu in Batch Reactor: Optimization of Process Parameters, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, 87(2009)766-778.
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty and C.B. Majumder, Treatment of arsenic contaminated groundwater using calcium impregnated granular activated carbon in batch reactor: Optimization of process parameters, Clean, Soil, Air, Water, 38(2010) 129-139.
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty, C. B. Majumder, Removal of arsenic from simulated groundwater using GAC-Cu in batch reactor: Kinetics and equilibrium studies, Canadian J of Chemical engineering, Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering Can. J. Chem. Eng. 89 (2011) 921–93.
- B. Das, P. Mondal, S. Kumar, Pressurization studies in a sealed autoclave for thermal decomposition of nitrated TBP and TiAP, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 288 (2011) 641-643.
- B. Das, S. Kumar, P. Mondal, Experimental measurement and correlation of flash point of alternate PUREX/UREX solvent (36% TiAP) in C8–C16 diluents, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 289 (2011) 503-505.
- S. Kumar, B. Das, P. Mondal, Thermophysical properties of 36% and 100% TiAP solvents at 298.15 K, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 289 (2011) 267-273.
- J. Kumar, C. B. Balomajumder, P. Mondal, Application of Agro-Based Biomasses for Zinc Removal from Wastewater – A Review. CLEAN – Soil, Air, Water, 39 (2011) 641–652.
- P. Mondal, G.S. Dang, M.O. Garg, Syngas production through gasification and cleanup for downstream applications — Recent developments, Fuel Processing Technology, 92 (2011) 1395–1410.
- Dwivedi Naveen, Majumder C.B. Mondal P. and Dwivedi Shubha, Biological Treatment of Cyanide Containing Wastewater, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, 1(7) (2011), 15-21
- Bhattacharya, T. K, Mondal, P., Improvement of water solubility of Vitamin B2 by phosphorylation, The Technology World, ISSN 2180-1614(Malaysia), 2010 (Accepted).
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty, C. B. Majumder, S. Saraswati, Modeling of the removal of arsenic species from simulated groundwater containing As, Fe and Mn: A neural network based approach, Clean, Soil, Air, Water, 40 (2012) 285–289.
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty, C. B. Majumder, Treatment of Arsenic Contaminated Groundwater Using Calcium Impregnated Granular Activated Carbon in a Batch Reactor: Kinetics and equilibrium studies, Clean, Soil, Air, Water, 40 (2012) 506–514.
- Biplab Das, Shekhar Kumar, P. Mondal,U. KamachiMudali, R. Natarajan, Synthesis and characterization of red-oil from tri iso-amyl phosphate/n-dodecane/nitric acid mixtures at elevated temperature, Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 292 (3) (2012) 1161-1171.
- P. Mondal, N. Soni, Production of bio-oil from algal biomass and its up-gradation: Recent developments, GREEN-The international journal of sustainable energy conversion and storage, 2 (5-6) (2012) 217-232.
- P. Mondal, J. Parikh, D.V. Naik. Sustainable Development: Pyrolysis and Gasification of Biomass and Wastes. In Encyclopedia of Environmental Management; S.E. Jorgensen, ed. Taylor & Francis: New York, 2013; Vol. IV, 2509–2525.
- P. Mondal, B. Mohanty, C. B. Majumder, Effect of pH and Treatment Time on the Removal of Arsenic Species from Simulated Groundwater by Using Fe3+ and Ca2+ Impregnated Granular Activated Charcoals, Chemical Engineering and Science. 2013 1 (2). doi: 10.12691/ces-1-2-3
- Ravi Shankar, PrasenjitMondal and Shri Chand, Modelling and simulation of double chamber microbial fuel cell: Cell voltage, power density and temperature variation with process parameters, Green - The International Journal of Sustainable Energy Conversion and Storage., Volume 3, Issue 3-4, Pages 181–194, 2013.
- Ravi Shankar, Lovjeet Singh, PrasenjitMondal and Shri Chand, removal of lignin from wastewater through electro-coagulation, World Journal of Environmental Engineering, 2013, Vol. 1, No. 2, 16-20.
- Ravi Shankar, Lovjeet Singh, PrasenjitMondal and Shri Chand, Removal of COD, TOC and colour from pulp and paper industry wastewater through electro-coagulation, Desalination and Water Treatment, 10.1080/19443994.2013.831782.
- Biplab Das, P. Mondal,Shekhar Kumar, Evaluation of fire and explosion hazards in typical nuclear recycling plants, Journal of Chemical Health and Safety, Volume 20, Issue 5, September–October 2013, Pages 10–16.
- N. K. Soni, A. K. Varma, P. Mondal, M. N. Srivastava, Production of Bio-oil from Native Algae of SolaniAquaductRoorkeeGREEN-The international journal of sustainable energy conversion and storage, 3(5-6), 2013(225-234).
- Dwivedi Naveen, BalomajumderChandrajit and PrasenjitMondal, Studies of Kinetic and Equilibrium isotherm models for the Sorption of Cyanide ion on to Almond shell, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, Vol. 4(2), 20-24, February (2014).
- Naveen Dwivedi, ChandrajitBalomajumder and PrasenjitMondal, 2014. Study for the treatment of cyanide bearing wastewater using bioadsorbentPrunusamygdalus(Almond shell): Effect of pH, adsorbent dose, contact time, temperature, and initial cyanide concentration. Int. Res. J. Environment Sci., Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 23-30.
- Dwivedi Shubha, MondalPrasenjit and BalomajumderChandrajit, Removal of Fluoride using Citrus limettain batch Reactor: Kinetics and Equilibrium Studies, Research Journal of Chemical Sciences, Vol. 4(1), 50-58, January (2014).
- Promila Yadav, Anil Kumar Varma, PrasenjitMondal, Production of Biodiesel from Algal Biomass Collected from Solani River using Ultrasonic Technique, International journal of renewable energy research, vol.4, no.3, 2014.
- Rahul Kumar Sahu, Ravi Shankar, PrasenjitMondal, and Shri Chand. "Treatment potential of EC towards bio-digester effluent: effects of process parameters, aeration, and adsorbent." Desalination and Water Treatment 54, no. 7 (2015): 1912-1924.
- Veralika Singh, Lokendra Thakur, and PrasenjitMondal. "Removal of lead and chromium from synthetic wastewater using Vetiveriazizanioides." CLEAN–Soil, Air, Water 43, no. 4 (2015): 538-543.
- Shankar, R., Mondal, P.,& Chand, S. (2015). Simultaneous generation of electricity and removal of organic load from synthetic wastewater in a membrane less Microbial Fuel Cell: Parametric evaluation, Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 34, 255–264.
- Subhasis Das, Sharvani Thakur, Manveersingh Gupta, Arijit Bag, Prasenjit Mandal, AnkurBordoloi,Support interaction of Ni nano cluster based catalysts applied in CO2 reforming, Journal of Catalysis 330 (2015) 46-60.
- Shankar, R., Mondal, P., Singh, R. and Chand, S., 2015. Simultaneous electricity production and removal of organics from synthetic wastewater in a continuous membrane less MFC: Effects of process parameters. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 34(5), pp.1404-1413.
- Singh, G.K., Mohanty, B., Mondal, P.,Chavan, P. and Datta, S., 2016. Modeling and Simulation of a Pilot-Scale Bubbling Fluidized Bed Gasifier for the Gasification of High Ash Indian Coal Using Eulerian Granular Approach. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering, 14(1), pp.417-431.
- Varma, A.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Physicochemical characterization and kinetic study of pine needle for pyrolysis process. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 124(1), pp.487-497.
- Mitra, S., Thakur, L.S., Rathore, V.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Removal of Pb (II) and Cr (VI) by laterite soil from synthetic waste water: single and bi-component adsorption approach. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(39), pp.18406-18416.
- Varma, A.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Physicochemical characterization and pyrolysis kinetics of wood sawdust. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 38(17), pp.2536-2544.
- Malpani, M., Varma, A.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Production of bio-oil from algal biomass and its upgradation to biodiesel using CaO-based heterogeneous catalysts. International Journal of Green Energy, 13(10), pp.969-976.
- Varma, A.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Physicochemical Characterization and Pyrolysis Kinetic Study of Sugarcane Bagasse Using Thermogravimetric Analysis. Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 138(5), p.052205.
- Rathore, V.K., Dohare, D.K. and Mondal, P., 2016. Competitive adsorption between arsenic and fluoride from binary mixture on chemically treated laterite. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 4(2), pp.2417-2430.
- Thakur, L.S. and Mondal, P., 2016. Techno-economic evaluation of simultaneous arsenic and fluoride removal from synthetic groundwater by electrocoagulation process: optimization through response surface methodology. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(59), pp.28847-28863.
- Dwivedi, N., Balomajumder, C. and Mondal, P., 2016. Comparative investigation on the removal of cyanide from aqueous solution using two different bio-adsorbents. Water Resources and Industry, 15, pp.28-40.
- Dwivedi, N., Balomajumder, C. and Mondal, P., 2016. Comparative evaluation of cyanide removal by adsorption, biodegradation, and simultaneous adsorption and biodegradation (SAB) process using Bacillus cereus and almond shell. Journal of Environmental Biology, 37(4), p.551.
- Dwivedi, N., Balomajumder, C. and Mondal, P., 2016. Bioremoval of cyanide from aqueous solution using Tectonagrandis leaves powder: a potential bioadsorbent. International Journal of Environmental Technology and Management, 19(3-4), pp.198-219.
- Dwivedi, S., Mondal, P. and Balomajumder, C., 2016. Bioremoval of Fluoride from Synthetic Water Using Gram-Negative Bacteria Shewanellaputrefaciens. Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste, p.04016023.
- Shankar, R., Varma, A.K., Mondal, P. and Chand, S., 2016. Simultaneous treatment and energy production from PIW using electro coagulation & microbial fuel cell. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 4(4), pp.4612-4618.
- Thakur, L.S. and Mondal, P., 2017. Simultaneous arsenic and fluoride removal from synthetic and real groundwater by electrocoagulation process: Parametric and cost evaluation. Journal of Environmental Management, 190, pp.102-112.
- Varma, A.K. and Mondal, P., 2017. Pyrolysis of sugarcane bagasse in semi batch reactor: Effects of process parameters on product yields and characterization of products. Industrial Crops and Products, 95, pp.704-717.
- Prasad, M.S.V., Varma, A.K., Kumari, P. and Mondal, P., 2017. Production of lipid containing microalgal biomass and simultaneous removal of nitrate and phosphate from synthetic wastewater. Environmental Technology, (accepted), pp.1-29.
- LekhankPatil, Anil Kumar Varma, Gajendra Singh and PrasenjitMondal, 2017 “Thermocatalytic degradation of high density polyethylene into liquid product”, Journal of Polymers and the Environment (accepted).
- Rathore, V. K., &Mondal, P, 2017, Competitive adsorption of arsenic and fluoride onto economically prepared aluminum oxide/hydroxide nanoparticles: Multicomponent isotherms and spent adsorbent management, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 56, 8081-8094
- Rathore, V. K., &Mondal, P, Stabilization of arsenic and fluoride bearing spent adsorbent in clay bricks: Preparation, characterization and leaching studies, 2017, Journal of Environmental Management
- Low-Cost Water Purification, 2017, Removing arsenic and fluoride, Current Science News letter,112, page 1310
- Contaminated Water : Sintered brick as solution, 2017, Current Science News letter,113, page 1016