- The Student Chapter of Indian Geotechnical Society Roorkee was inaugurated on 3rd Dec 2019 in the presence of Hon'able Chief Guest Prof. Lee Fook Hou from Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, National University of Singapore, Guest of Honour Prof. J. T. Shahu from Civil Engineering Department, IIT Delhi & honorary secretary, Indian Geotechnical Society, Prof. S. K. Ghosh, Head of Civil Engineering Department, IIT Rookee and Prof. N.K. Samadhiya, Civil Engineering Department, IIT Roorkee Posted On: 06 Dec, 2019
- Prof. F. H. Lee from Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, National University of Singapore (NUS), presenting the glimpses of recent research projects by Geotechnical Engineering Group of NUS during his interactive session with faculty and P.G. students of our department on 3rd December 2019. Posted On: 05 Dec, 2019
- Welcome, Professor Lee Fook Hou from Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, National University of Singapore, is visiting our institute from 2nd to 4th December. A special interaction session with the faculty and PG students is scheduled on 3rd December at 10:30am in the conference room. You all are requested to be present and attend the same. During the interaction session Prof F.H. Lee will be making a presentation on Posted On: 03 Dec, 2019
- PLACEMENT & INTERNSHIP CELL_2019 Posted On: 03 Dec, 2019
- Welcome new faculty members in Structure Engineering Group Dr. SUDAKSHINA DUTTA. In the spirit of welcoming our newest faculty members, I would also like to thank all of you. HCED Posted On: 27 Nov, 2019
- Prof. R. D. Garg received Uttarakhand Eminent Engineers Award 2018 by Institution of Engineers Uttrakhand Chapter. Posted On: 25 Nov, 2019
- Prof. P. K. Garg received an award from Hon’ble HRD Minister for best Research in Surveying & Mapping by Institute of Engineers, Dehradun Chapter (September 15, 2019). Posted On: 25 Nov, 2019
- Prof. R. D. Garg received National Geospatial Award of Excellence 2018 by Indian Society of Remote Sensing. Award consists of Rs. 1 lakh in cash, Citation and medal. Posted On: 25 Nov, 2019
- Prof. J. K. Ghosh received National Geospatial Award for EXCELLENCE-2017 - A Life-time Achievement Award by the Indian Society of Remote Sensing (December 05, 2018). Posted On: 25 Nov, 2019
- Congratulations, Mr. JOHN MOHD WANI, Research Scholar under the supervision of Prof. C.S.P. OJHA, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis titled “INFERRING PERMAFROST AND ITS CHARACTERISTICS IN THE COLD ARID HIMALAYA” on November 22, 2019. Posted On: 23 Nov, 2019
The Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee is the oldest and the largest in the country. It was established on November 25, 1847 as Roorkee Civil Engineering College and renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854. The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad.
The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in seven major specialisations of civil engineering (viz., Building Science and Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering). In total there are 577 students pursuing Bachelors degree and 182 students pursuing Masters Degree in the department. These programmes are supported with strong doctoral programmes in all the specialisations. More than 243 Ph. D. research scholars are currently working in the department on emerging research areas. There are currently 21 Professors, 11 Associate Professors, 11 Assistant Professors and 1 Technical Officer working in the department.
The Department is known for its internationally reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The research programmes of the department are funded by various agencies such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Max Planck Society Germany, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT), Department of Science & Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Uttarakhand Council of Science & Technology (UCOST) etc.
The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout country.
Now is the time for new ideas and ambitions, for communities to work together to solve the many challenges facing society. Our department has a rich history of producing innovations and innovators, world class designers and builders, leading practitioners and public servants….