- List of Shortlisted Candidates for Interview for Environmental Engineering Posted On: 15 Oct, 2019
- List of Shortlisted Candidates for Interview for Transportation Engineering Posted On: 14 Oct, 2019
- Dear Colleagues, Prof. Satish Chandra, presently Director at Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi has been selected as a Fellow of National Academy of Science, India this year (FNASc). The department of Civil engineering shares its good wishes on your achievement. HCED Posted On: 14 Oct, 2019
- Welcome new faculty members in Transportation Engineering Group Dr. Pushpa Chaudhary Posted On: 03 Oct, 2019
- We have a Guest Faculty from Michigan State University, USA in the campus who would like to deliver a talk in our department....01102019 @ 5: 15 PM Posted On: 02 Oct, 2019
- Mr. Vijendra Singh Bramhe, Research Scholar under the supervision of Prof. S.K.Ghosh & Prof. P.K.Garg, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis titled “DEEP LEARNING TECHNIQUES FOR AUTOMATIC EXTRACTION OF BUILT UP AREAS USING SATELLITE DATA” on September 24, 2019. The External examiner was PROF. A. K. GOSAIN, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Delhi. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to Mr. Vijendra Singh Bramhe and wish him..... Posted On: 25 Sep, 2019
- Welcomes Sh. Chandi Prasad Bhatt, An Environmentalist & Social activist best known for spearheading the ChipkoAndolan. Recipient of Magsaysay Award, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan & Gandhi Peace Prize for a talk on "sensitivity of Himalayas & the role of environment in our development". Interaction with Students at New Lecture Hall-002 at 2:00 PM Sept 23, 2019 Posted On: 24 Sep, 2019
- Ms. Harsangeet Kaur, Research Scholar under the supervision of Prof. Pradeep Kumar & Dr. Pramod Kumar, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D. thesis titled “ELECTROLYSIS AS AN OPTION FOR THE POST TREATMENT OF BANK FILTRATION” on September 23, 2019. The External examiner was PROF. ANURAG GARG, Department of Environmental Science & Engineering, IIT Bombay. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to Ms.Harsangeet Kaur and wish her able Supervisor.. Posted On: 24 Sep, 2019
- International Training Course on Landslide Risk Assessment and Mitigation LARAM-India 2020 February 17-22, 2020 Posted On: 23 Sep, 2019
- Mr. KANWAR SINGH, Research Scholar under the supervision of Dr. SATYENDRA MITTAL, Associate Professor, Civil Engineering, successfully defended his Ph.D thesis titled “RESPONSE OF COHESIONLESS NAILED OVERBURDEN SOIL DURING BOX JACKING FOR UNDERPASS”on September 21, 2019. The External examiner was PROF. D.K.BAIDYA, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Kharagpur. On behalf of the Department and my own behalf, I extend sincere congratulation to Mr. KANWAR SINGH and wish him also the best for all .. Posted On: 21 Sep, 2019
The Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee is the oldest and the largest in the country. It was established on November 25, 1847 as Roorkee Civil Engineering College and renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854. The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad.
The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in seven major specialisations of civil engineering (viz., Building Science and Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering). In total there are 577 students pursuing Bachelors degree and 182 students pursuing Masters Degree in the department. These programmes are supported with strong doctoral programmes in all the specialisations. More than 243 Ph. D. research scholars are currently working in the department on emerging research areas. There are currently 21 Professors, 11 Associate Professors, 11 Assistant Professors and 1 Technical Officer working in the department.
The Department is known for its internationally reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The research programmes of the department are funded by various agencies such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Max Planck Society Germany, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT), Department of Science & Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Uttarakhand Council of Science & Technology (UCOST) etc.
The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout country.
Now is the time for new ideas and ambitions, for communities to work together to solve the many challenges facing society. Our department has a rich history of producing innovations and innovators, world class designers and builders, leading practitioners and public servants….