Kaustav Chatterjee Assistant Professor kchatfce[at]iitr.ac.in +91-1332-284879
Areas of Interest
- Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Dynamics, Earthquake Engineering, Liquefaction
- Static and seismic stability analysis of slopes, retaining walls, sheet piles, shallow foundations, pile foundations
- Numerical Modeling in Geomechanics, Foundation Engineering
|June 2016||Ongoing||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|March 2016||May 2016||Post Doctoral Research Student||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan|
|Dec 2015||Feb 2016||Research Assistant||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay|
Honors and Awards
|Prof. G A Leonard’s Biennial Award (2015 & 2016)||Indian Geotechnical Society||2017|
|Represent Indian Geotechnical Society on International Technical Committee TC-103: Numerical Methods||International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)||2018|
|John Carter Award||International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG), USA||2017|
|Best PhD Thesis Award||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||2017|
|Best Paper Award 1st Prize||International Geotechnical Engineering Conference organized by ISSMGE, IGS Mumbai Chapter||2016|
|Post Doctoral Research (MEXT + Kyoto University funding)||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan||2016|
|Travel grant to attend 15ARC at Fukuoka, Japan||Science and Engineering Research Board (DST, Government of India)||2015|
|Gold Medal in Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering||West Bengal University of Technology||2011|
|Debjani Dasgupta Memorial Gold Medal||West Bengal University of Technology||2011|
|2nd prize in the National Student Award Competition||Institute of Steel Development and Growth (INSDAG)||2009|
|M.Tech+Ph.D. Dual Degree||Geotechnical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||2016|
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||West Bengal Univerity of Technology||2010|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Analysis of Sheet Pile under Static and Seismic Conditions||SRIC, IIT Roorkee||2016|
- Indian Geotechnical Society, Life Member: LM3738
- Indian Society of Earthquake Technology, Life Member: LM 1682
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE), IND14LM-3738
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Associate Member: AMASCE 11370402
- Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA), Life Member: L35677
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Soil Dynamics and Machine Foundations||CEN 524||PG (Core); UG (Elective)||Autumn|
|Advanced Foundation Engineering||CEN622||PG (Elective)||Spring|
|Soil Mechanics (Tutorial+Practical)||CEN 303||UG||Autumn|
|Foundation Engineering (Practical)||CEN306||UG||Spring|
|Technical Communications||CEN 391||UG||Autumn|
|Numerical Analysis and Computer Programming (Practical)||CEN 103||UG||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|MTech: Dynamic Analysis of Pile Groups Having Different Configuration in Liquefiable Soil||Ms. Aditi Tiwari|
|MTech: Use of Geocells as Ground Improvement Technique to Improve Trafficability in Desert Terrain||Lt. Col. Anand Kumar|
|MTech: Pseudo-static Analysis of Nailed Soil Slopes||Mr. Pankaj Rawat|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Static and Seismic Behaviour of Cantilever Sheet Pile Walls under Surcharge Load||Akshay Pratap Singh||O||2016|
|Behavior of Caisson Foundations under Static and Seismic Conditions||Mohit Kumar||O||2017|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Conference on Numerical Modeling in GeoMechanics-2017 (CoNMig-2017)||Department of Civil Engineering IIT Roorkee and Indian Geotechnical Society Roorkee Chapter||03.03.2017|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Applications of Ground Response Analysis in Seismic Design of Piles and Pile Group||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan||10.05.2016|
|India – A Land of Diverse Culture and Research at Civil Engineering Department, IIT Bombay||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan||19.05.2016|
Refereed Journal Papers
In Referred International Journals
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2018); "Influence of seismic motions on behaviour of piles in liquefied soils." International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics (ISSN: 1096-9853, Impact Factor: 2.342/2016), John Wiley & Sons Ltd., USA, 42(3), pp. 516-541, doi: 10.1002/nag.2753.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2015); “Analytical and numerical approaches to compute the influence of vertical load on lateral response of single pile.” Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication (ISSN: 2188-8027), Japan, In section 6. Foundations - Bearing capacity, Part 1, The 15th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Japan, 2(36), pp. 1319-1322, doi: http://doi.org/10.3208/jgssp.IND-11.
- Deepankar Choudhury, Ashutosh Kumar and Kaustav Chatterjee (2015); “Coupled behavior of pile foundations in liquefied and non–liquefied soils during earthquakes including case study.” Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication (ISSN: 2188-8027), Japan, In International Workshop on Geotechnics for Resilient Infrastructure, The Second Japan-India Workshop in Geotechnical Engineering, 3(2), pp. 11-15, doi: http://doi.org/1 0.3208/jgssp.v03.i02
- Kaustav Chatterjee, Deepankar Choudhury and Harry G. Poulos (2015); “Seismic analysis of laterally loaded pile under influence of vertical loading using finite element method.” Computers and Geotechnics (ISSN: 0266-352X, Impact Factor: 1.647/2013), Elsevier, UK, 67, pp. 172-186, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2015.03.004 (This paper is one of the MOST DOWNLOADED ARTICLES of COMPUTERS and GEOTECHNICS in 2015 as mentioned in Elsevier, Science Direct).
- Kaustav Chatterjee, Deepankar Choudhury, Vansittee Dilli Rao and S. P. Mukherjee (2015); “Dynamic analyses and field observations on piles in Kolkata city.” Geomechanics and Engineering: An International Journal (ISSN: 2005-307X, Impact Factor: 1.085/2015), Techno Press, Korea, 8(3), pp. 415-440, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.3.415
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Variations in shear wave velocity and soil site class in Kolkata city using regression and sensitivity analysis.” Natural Hazards (ISSN: 0921-030X, Impact Factor: 1.958/2013), Springer, Netherlands, 69(3), pp. 2057-2082, doi: 10.1007/s11069-013-0795-7.
In Geotechnical Special Publications of ASCE, USA
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2014); “Seismic analysis of soil slopes using FLAC2D and modified Newmark’s approach.” In Geo-Congress 2014: Geotechnical Special Publication (GSP) No. 234, ASCE, Reston, VA, USA, pp. 1196-1205, in CD ROM, ISBN No. 978-0-7844-1329-6.
In Referred National Journals
- Kaustav Chatterjee (2017); "Impact of ground response analysis on seismic behavior and design of piles in Kolkata city." Indian Geotechnical Journal (ISSN: 0971-9555), Springer, India, 48(3), pp. 459-473. doi: 10.1007/s40098-017-0264-4.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2016); “Influences of local soil conditions for ground response in Kolkata city during earthquakes.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India, Section A: Physical Sciences (ISSN: 0369–8203, Impact Factor: 0.242/2014), Springer, India, doi: 10.1007/s40010-016-0265-1.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2015); “Soil liquefaction and bearing capacity at a building site in Lucknow, India under earthquake conditions.” Disaster Advances (ISSN: 0974-262X, Impact Factor: 2.272/2012), India, 8(5), pp. 16-28.
- Deepankar Choudhury, V. S. Phanikanth, Sumedh Y. Mhaske, Reshma R. Phule and Kaustav Chatterjee (2015); “Seismic liquefaction hazard and site response for design of piles in Mumbai city.” Indian Geotechnical Journal (ISSN: 0971-9555), Springer, India, 45(1), pp. 62-78. doi: 10.1007/s40098-014-0108-4.
In International Conference/Workshop/Seminar Proceedings
- Akash Chetty, Akhil Jain, Devanshu Mishra and Kaustav Chatterjee (2018); "A comparitive study on shear strength of soil using geogrid and geotextiles." In Proceedings of the GeoShanghai 2018 International Conference: Ground Improvement and Geosynthetics (GSIC 2018), May 27-30, 2018, Shanghai, China, pp. 483-490, doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0122-3_53, Springer, ISBN No. 978-981-13-0122-3.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2017); "Influence of damping models on dynamic response of pile group." Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (19th ICSMGE - 2017), September 17-22, 2017, COEX Convention Centre, Seoul, South Korea, pp. 1493-1496.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2017); " Factors influencing response of pile group in liquefiable soils: A numerical approach." In Extended Abstract Volume of 2nd Korea-India Joint Geotechnical Engineering Workshop on Geotechnical Challenges for Megacities, September 21, 2017, COEX Convention Centre, Seoul, South Korea, pp. 21-22.
- Kaustav Chatterjee (2016); " Influence of ground response analysis on seismic behavior of piles." In Extended Abstract Volume of International Geotechnical Engineering Conference on Sustainability in Geotechnical Engineering Practices and Related Urban Issues, September 23-24, 2016, Mumbai, India (This paper received the Best Paper Award 1st Prize).
- Deepankar Choudhury, Ashutosh Kumar, Kaustav Chatterjee and Milind S. Patil (2015); “Landslide Disasters due to Earthquake, Blast and Seepage - Theory and Case Study.” Proceedings of the 6th International Geotechnical Symposium (6IGS) on Disaster Mitigation in Special Geoenvironmental Conditions, January 21-23, 2015, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, pp. 87-90.
- Kaustav Chatterjee, V. Dilli Rao and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “A critical study on behavior of pile groups in liquefied soil under seismic conditions." Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advances in Foundation Engineering (ISAFE-2013), December 5-6, 2013, Singapore, pp. 319-324, doi: 10.3850/978-981-07-4623-0 073, Research Publishing Services, ISBN: 978-981-07-4623-0.
- V. Dilli Rao, Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Analysis of single pile in liquefied soil during earthquake using FLAC3D.” Proceedings of the International Conference on State of the Art of Pile Foundation and Pile Case Histories (PILE – 2013), June 2-4, 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, Vol. 1, pp. F5-1 to F5-7 (This paper received IGS-Kochi Chapter YGE Best Paper Biennial Award – 2014 as the best paper on ‘Deep Foundations’, given by Indian Geotechnical Society (IGS), New Delhi, India).
- Deepankar Choudhury, Kaustav Chatterjee, V. S. Phanikanth and Ashutosh Kumar (2013); “Behaviour of piles in liquefied soil under seismic conditions.” Proceedings of the International Conference on State of the Art of Pile Foundation and Pile Case Histories (PILE – 2013), June 2-4, 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, Vol. 1, pp. A5-1 to A5-18.
In National Conference/Symposium/Seminar Proceedings
- Deepankar Choudhury, Kaustav Chatterjee, Ashutosh Kumar and Reshma Raskar Phule (2014); “Pile foundations during earthquakes in liquefiable soils – theory to practice.” Proceedings of 15th Symposium on Earthquake Engineering (15SEE–2014), December 11-13, 2014, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India, pp. 327-342, Paper No. K-001 in CD, Elite Publishing, ISBN No. 978-81-88901-59-3.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Effect of damping models on dynamic response of single pile.” Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2013): Geotechnical Advances & Novel Geotechnical Applications (GANGA), December 22 – 24, 2013, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India, Paper ID: 5Th-06, pp. 1-10, in CD, ISBN: 978-81-925548-1-5.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2012); “A critical review of seismic hazard analyses of north-eastern India.” Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2012), December 13 – 15, 2012, IIT Delhi, New Delhi, India, Vol. II, pp. 939-942, Paper No. H-806 in CD.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2012); “Seismic stability analyses of soil slopes using analytical and numerical approaches.” Proceedings of the ISET Golden Jubilee Symposium, October 20 – 21, 2012, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
- Ritika, Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2011); “Effect of blast load on seismic slope stability using FLAC.” Proceedings of the Golden Jubilee Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2011): GeoChallenges, December 15 – 17, 2011, Kochi, Kerala, India, in CD paper number K-099, Vol. II, pp. 639-642.