Pradeep Kumar Professor pkumafce[at]iitr.ac.in +91 - 1332 - 285446 Website
Areas of Interest
- Water Treatment, Potable Water
- River and lakebank Filtration, Hydro-geology, Water Quality
|18.2 2001||Till date||Professor||Department of Civil, Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|19.3.1997||17.2.2001||Associate Professor||Department of Civil, Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|3.1.1990||18.3.1997||Reader / Assistant Professor||Department of Civil, Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|27.1.1978||2.1.1990||Lecture||Department of Civil, Engineering, IIT Roorkee|
|27.1.1977||25.1.1978||Assistant Professor||Department of Civil, Thaper Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala|
Honors and Awards
|Awarded Visiting International Fellowship (VIF)||Environmental & Water Resources Institute (EWRI), American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), USA||2011|
|Awarded DAAD Fellowship||Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany||2008|
|Selected as a member of 18th Indian Scientific Expedition to Antarctica for research on “Water Quali||National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India.||1998-99|
|Awarded Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship||Regional Environmental Systems Engineering (RESE), University of Regina, Regina, Canada||1994-95|
|B.E. (Civil)||Civil Engg.||University of Roorkee||1974|
|M.E. (Civil)||Public Health Engg.||University of Roorkee||1976|
|Ph.D. (Civil)||Civil Engg.||University of Roorkee||1987|
|2017||Continuing||Studen's Ombudsperson||IIT Roorkee|
|2014||2018||Coordinator, World Bank assisted technical education quality improvement programme (TEQIP II)||Sponsored by Ministry of Human Resources and Development (MHRD), Govt. of India at IIT Roorkee|
|2014||2017||Chairman, Institute Grievance Redressal Committee (IGRC)/ Nodal Officer||IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|An innovative sustainable biotechnology for resource recovery from wastewater streams using microwav||Sponsored by DBT (Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Govt. of India) –||2015|
|Enhancement of Natural Water Systems and Treatment Methods for Safe and Sustainable Water Supply in||Sponsored under European Union’s Seventh Programme for research, technological development and demon||2011|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Persistence, Bioaccumulation, and Toxicity of Aqueous Organics||Khushbu Sharma|
|Chemcatcher Passive Sampling of Aqueous Persistence Organic Pollutants: Assessment of Different Mate||Dharmveer Yadav|
|Attenuation Of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs by Aquifer Materials||Piyush Mani Tripathi|
|Effect of Electro-chlorination on DOC and formation of DBPs||Chetan Vijay Dhawad|
|Attenuation of Antibiotics During Riverbank Filtration||Ayush Walia|
|Attenuation of Methylene Blue Dye During Riverbank Filtration||Shrinishtha Mishra|
|Impact of Pollutants in River Krishni on Ground Water: Dynamics of Natural Filtration||Rinku Kumar|
|Aquifer Characteristics and Mixing Ratios at Nainital LBF Site||Fuzail Ahmed|
|RBF: Water Quality Modelling||Manish Tulsiani|
|Bank Filtration in Nainital: Water Quality Assessment||Himanshu Singh|
|Fate of Pesticides in Riverbank Filtration: Model Studies||MD Sadique Nawab|
|Water Quality Modeling of Lake Bank Filtration at Nainital Using Modflow-2005||Manish Manjul|
|Chlorination of Polluted water||Divya Sundararajan|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Treatment of Municipal Solid Waste Leachate||Sapkal Vaibhav Rajiv||O|
|Biodegradation of Substrates with and without Aeration||Laxman Irappa Ambi||A|
|Organic Micropollutants in the River Yamuna and Ranney Wells in Central Delhi||Soma Kumari||A|
|Efficacy of Riverbank Filtration in Hilly Area||Medalson Ronghang||A|
|Aqueous Organics: Identification and Assessment of Adsorption by KOW and SUVA||Snigdhendubala Pradhan||A|
|Removal of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC) during Riverbank Filtration||Nisha L.||A|
|Water Purification through Natural Filtration||Rakesh Roshan Dash||A|
|Treatment of Agro-Food Industrial Wastewater using UAF and Hybrid UASB-UAF Reactor||Rajinikanth R.||A|
|Polishing of Effluent from UASBR: ORP as a Monitoring Parameter||Rinku Walia||A|
|N and P in Anaerobic Biotransformation: Treatment of Phenolic Wastewater||Athar Hussain||A|
|Treatment of Low Strength Wastewater using an Anaerobic Baffled Reactor||Gopala Krishna G. V. T.||A|
|Anionic Surfactants in Sewage: Fate in UASB Process||Arvind Kumar Mungray||A|
|Phenolic Wastewater: BMP and Treatment using UASB Reactor||Veereshh G. S.||A|
|Treatment of Sewage using UASB Process||Prashanth S.||A|
|Study of Denitrification-Deflouridation of Water using SBF System||Alemayehu Mekonen G/Selasse||A|
|Treatment of Predigested Distillery Effluent by Isolated Bacterial Strains||C. Nanjunda Swamy||A|
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters (Last five years only)
- Sandhu, C., Grischek, T., Ronghang, M., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, P., Ghosh, N. C., Rao, Y. R. S., Chakraborty, B., Patwal P. S., and Kimothi, P. C. (2016). Overview of bank filtration in India and the need for flood-proof RBF systems. In: Wintgens T, Nättorp A, Lakshmanan E, Asolekar SR (eds.) SaphPani – Enhancement of natural water systems and treatment methods for safe and sustainable water supply in India. IWA Publishing, London, UK, 17–38.ISBN13: 9781780407104.
- Sharma, S. K., Sandhu, C., Grischek, T., Gupta, A., Kumar, P., Mehrotra, I., Grützmacher, G., Sajilkumar, P. J., Lakshmanan E., and Ghosh, N. C. (2016). Pre- and Post-treatment of BF and MAR in India: Present and Future.In: Wintgens T, Nättorp A, Lakshmanan E, Asolekar SR (eds.) SaphPani – Enhancement of natural water systems and treatment methods for safe and sustainable water supply in India. IWA Publishing, London, UK, 191–206.ISBN13: 9781780407104.
- Gupta, A., Singh, H., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, P., Kumar, S., Grischek, T., and Sandhu, C. (2016). Lake bank filtration for water supply in Nainital.In: Wintgens T, Nättorp A, Lakshmanan E, Asolekar SR (eds.) SaphPani – Enhancement of natural water systems and treatment methods for safe and sustainable water supply in India. IWA Publishing, London, UK, 39–56.ISBN13: 9781780407104.
Refereed Journal Papers
Journals (Last five years only)
- Kumar, P., Mehrotra, I., Gupta, A., Kumari, S., Riverbank Filtration: A Sustainable Process to Attenuate Contaminants during Drinking Water Production, J. Sustain. Dev. Energy Water Environ. syst., DOI: https://doi.org/10.13044/j.sdewes.d5.0176
- Sapkal, V. R., Chandel, M. K., Kumar, P., and Vaidya, A. N. (2016). Treatment of Municipal Solid Waste Leachate: a Review. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering, 58 (2), 167-174.
- Pradhan, S., Kumar, P., and Mehrotra, I. (2016). Removal of Dissolved Organic Carbon by Aquifer Material: Correlations between Column Parameters, Sorption Isotherms and Octanol-Water Partition Coefficient. Journal of Environmental Management, 177, 36-44.
- Pradhan, S., Kumar, P., and Mehrotra, I. (2016). Sorption of Aqueous Organics by Aquifer Material: Correlation of Batch Sorption Parameters with Octanol-Water Partition Coefficient. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 142(8).
- Gupta, A., Ronghang, M., Kumar, P., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, S., Grischek, T., Sandhu, C., and Knoeller, K. (2015). Nitrate contamination of riverbank filtrate at Srinagar, Uttarakhand, India: A case of geogenic mineralization. Journal of Hydrology, 531 (3), 626-637.
- Pradhan, S., Kumar, P., and Mehrotra, I. (2015). River Pollution: Assessment of Hydro-philic and Phobic Nature of Persistent Organic Contaminants. Journal of Environmental Nanotechnology, Monitoring & Management, 3, 47–54.
- Gupta, A., Singh, H., Ahmed, F., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, P., Kumar, S., Grischek, T., and Sandhu, C. (2015). Lakebank filtration in landslide debris: irregular hydrology with effective filtration. Sustainable Water Resources Management, 1 (1), 15-26.
- Dash, R. R., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, P., and Grischek, T. (2015). Study of water quality improvements at a riverbank filtration site along the upper course of the River Ganga, India. Desalination and Water Treatment 54(9), 2422 – 2431.
- Mishra, S., and Kumar, P. (2014). Adsorption of methylene blue dye from surface water onto aquifer material during batch experiments. Journal of Advanced Engineering Research, 1 (1), 36-40.
- Pradhan, S., Kumar, P., and Mehrotra, I. (2014). Characterization of Aqueous Organics by Specific Ultraviolet Absorbance and Octanol Water Partition Coefficient. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 140 (2), 06013001-6.
- Saini, B., Mehrotra, I., Kumar, P., and Verma, R. (2013). Insight of Riverbank Filtration System at Haridwar for Enhancement of Drinking Water Quality. Int. J. Current Engineering and Technology 3(4), 1264 - 1270.
- Sandhu, C., Grischek, T., Kumar, P., and Ray, C. (2012). The promise of riverbank filtration in India. Journal of Indian Water Works Association, Special issue (Dec. 2012), 5-12.
- Kumar, P., Mehrotra, I., Boernick, H., Schmalz, V., Worch, E., Schmitz, W., and Grischek, T. (2012). Riverbank filtration: An alternative to pre-chlorination. Journal of Indian Water Works Association, Special issue (Dec. 2012), 50-58.
- Ronghang, M., Kumar, P., Mehrotra, I., Kimothi, P. C., Adlakha, L. K., Sandhu, C., Grischek, T., and Voltz, T. J. (2012). Application of riverbank filtration for year round drinking water production in a small town in the hills of Uttarakhand. Journal of Indian Water Works Association, Special issue (Dec. 2012), 19-24.
- Kimothi, P. C., Dimri, D. D., Adlakha, L. K., Kumar, S., Rawat , O. P., Patwal, P. S., Grischek, T., Sandhu, C., Ebermann, J., Ruppert, M., Dobhal, R., Ronghang, M., Kumar, P., Mehrotra I., and Uniyal, H. P. (2012). Development of Riverbank Filtration in Uttarakhand. J. Indian Water Works Association, Special Issue on River Bank Filtration (December 2012), 13 - 18.
Conferences (Recent 0nly)
- Kumar, P. and Mehrotra, I. (2017). Development of Riverbank Filtration for the Production of Drinking Water in a Mountainous Town, Satpuli, India. 12th SDEWES Conference, Dubrovnik, Croatia, October 4-8, 2017.
- Kumar, P. (2016). Pharmaceutically Active Compounds (PhACs) in River Yamuna, Delhi, India. International Scientific and Practical Conference “BRICS” Water Forum, Moscow, Russia, September 29-30, 2016.
- Kumar, P. and Mehrotra, I. (2016). Riverbank Filtration: a Sustainable Process to Attenuate Contaminants during Drinking Water Production (Indian Experience). 2nd SEE SDEWES Conference, Piran, Slovenia, June 15-18, 2016.
- Opala, P., Kilian, A., Grafe, P., Tiepmar, J., Grischek, T., Sandhu, C., Gupta, A., Kumar, P., and Kimothi, P. C. (2016). Robust and Low-cost Disinfection Measures and Water-tightness Methods for Urban Water Supply RBF Wells in India. Extended abstracts Indo-German Conference on Sustainability – Exploring planetary boundaries and their challenges and opportunities, Chennai, India, 27.-28.02.2016, 41–42.
- Sandhu, C., Grischek, T., Voltz, T. J., Schmidt, W., Kumar, P., Börnick H., and Kimothi, P. C. (2016). Riverbank Filtration for Year-round Urban Water Supply in India. Extended abstracts Indo-German Conference on Sustainability – Exploring planetary boundaries and their challenges and opportunities, Chennai, India, 27.-28.02.2016, 56–57.