- Applications invited from graduating students for awards/prizes given on convocation day of IITR Posted On: 19 Apr, 2018
- Popular Lecture on Cryo Electron Microscopy Posted On: 18 Apr, 2018
- DBT National Workshop on Bioenergy-2018 Organized by Department of Biotechnology, IIT-Roorkee Posted On: 14 Apr, 2018
- Department of Biotechnology Organizes Industry Academia Interaction – 2018 Posted On: 06 Apr, 2018
- QIP STC on Nanotechnology: Basics and Bio-Chemical Applications will be held during May 21-25, 2018 Posted On: 05 Apr, 2018
- GIAN Course on “Recent Advancements in Biophysical Techniques and Virology” Posted On: 04 Apr, 2018
A Centre of Biosciences was started in 1980 and upgraded to a full-fledged academic Department of Biosciences and Biotechnology in 1986. It was renamed as the Department of Biotechnology in the year 2002. The department has teaching and research programmes which encompass various basic and applied aspects of modern biotechnology. The main objective of the Department is to provide academic training and conduct research in the interdisciplinary areas of biotechnology with a particular emphasis on extending the knowledge generated from these studies towards the development of technologies of commercial significance. The M.Sc.(Biotechnology) course of the Department is being funded by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India. A B.Tech.(Biotechnology) course has been started in 2005.