Dr Ranjana Pathania Associate Professor rpathfbs[at]iitr.ac.in 01332-285324
Areas of Interest
- Molecular Biology, Bacterial Pathogenesis, Role of Small RNA in Acinetobacter baumannii, Antibacterial Drug Discovery, Chemical Genomics, Mode of Action of Novel Antibacterials in Gram
- -negative bacteria, Multiple Drug Resistance in Bacteria, Discovery of Novel Efflux Pump Inhibitors, Antisense RNA based therapeutic strategies against bacterial pathogens, Pathogenesis of A. baumannii
- Bioremediation of Pesticide contaminated soil, Characterization of Pesticide degrading Bacteria, Metagenomics
|April,2014||Present||Associate Professor||Department of Biotechnology, Indian Insitute of Technology Roorkee|
|Oct, 2007||April,2014||Assistant Professor||Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|Nov, 2003||Oct, 2007||Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, ON, Canada|
|May, 2003||Nov, 2003||Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA.|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Interplay of small RNAs and Hfq in gene expression control in Acinetobacter baumannii: novel mechani||DBT||2016|
|Chemical genetic approach for discovery of new chemical entities against multiple drug resistant (MD||ICMR||2015|
|Development of a bacterial pesticide degrading system for bioremediation of pesticides accumulated i||UCOST||2015|
|Hazard characterization and isolation of pesticide degrading bacteria for mitigating the environment||UCOST||2011|
Research Scholar Groups
|Atin Sharma||Non-coding RNA in Acinetobacter baumannii, drug efflux pumps|
|Vineet Dubey||Regulatory small RNA in Acinetobacter baumannii, Novel drug combinations against resistant bacteria|
|Timsy Bhando||Non-coding RNA in A.baumannii, Mechanism of action of Antibacterial small molecules|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Chemcial genetics for NCE and antibacterial drug discovery (putative)||Mahak Saini||O||2015|
|Deciphering the mode of action and pharmacokinetic potential of novel antibacterial agents||Jawed Akhter||O||2014|
|Studies on the role of small RNA in physiology of Acinetobacter baumannii||Vineet Dubey||O||2014|
|Studies on combinations of antibacterial molecules against multi drug resistant Acinetobacter bauman||Amit Gaurav||O||2014|
|Identification and characterization of small RNA from the genetic islands of Acinetobacter baumannii||Timsy Bhando||O||2013|
|Studies on novel small RNA and their targets in Acinetobacter baumannii||Atin Sharma||O||2012|
|Chemical genetic approaches to combat multi drug resistance in Gram negative bacteria||Tapas Bhattacharyya||A||2010|
|Metagenomic approach to study microbes from Himalayan geothermal springs||Jitendra Kumar Sahoo||A||2009|
|Antibacterial activity of soil bacilli and potential of essential ‘Y’ genes as drug targets||Supriya Deepak Patil||A||2008|
|Identification and characterization of small RNA from Acinetobacter baumannii MTCC 1425||Rajnikant Sharma||A||2008|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Sharma, A., Sharma, R., Bhattacharyya, T., Bhando, T., and Pathania, R. (2016). Fosfomycin resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii is mediated by efflux through a major facilitator superfamily (MFS) transporter—AbaF. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. dkw382.
- Gupta, M., Mathur, S., Sharma, T. K., Rana, M., Gairola, A., Navani, N. K., & Pathania, R. (2016). A study on metabolic prowess of Pseudomonas sp. RPT 52 to degrade imidacloprid, endosulfan and coragen. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 301, 250-258.
- Srivastava, S. K., Iyer, V. R., Ghosh, T., Lambadi, P. R., Pathania, R., & Navani, N. K. (2016). Isolation of a non-genomic origin fluoroquinolone responsive regulatory element using a combinatorial bioengineering approach. Nucleic acids research. 44(5), 2451-2461.
- Lambadi, P. R., Sharma, T. K., Kumar, P., Vasnani, P., Thalluri, S. M., Bisht, N., Pathania, R. and Navani, N. K. (2015). Facile biofunctionalization of silver nanoparticles for enhanced antibacterial properties, endotoxin removal, and biofilm control. International journal of nanomedicine. 10, 2155.
- Srivastava, S. K., Lambadi, P. R., Ghosh, T., Pathania, R., & Navani, N. K. (2014). Genetic regulation of spy gene expression in Escherichia coli in the presence of protein unfolding agent ethanol. Gene. 548(1), 142-148.
- Sharma, R., Arya, S., Patil, S. D., Sharma, A., Jain, P. K., Navani, N. K., & Pathania, R. (2014). Identification of novel regulatory small RNAs in Acinetobacter baumannii. PloS one. 9(4), e93833.
- Sharma, R., Arya, S., Patil, S.D., Sharma, A., Jain, P.K., Navani, N.K. and Pathania, R. Identification of novel regulatory small RNAs in Acinetobacter baumannii. PLoS ONE 9(4): e93833. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0093833
- Patil, S.D., Sharma, R., Srivastava, S.K., Navani, N.K. and Pathania, R. (2013) Downregulation of yidC in Escherichia coli by antisense RNA expression results in sensitization to antibacterial essential oils eugenol and carvacrol. PLoS ONE. 8(3), e57370.
- Ghosh, I., Patil, S.D., Sharma, T.K., Srivastava, S.K., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2013) Synergistic action of cinnamaldehyde with silver nanoparticles against spore-forming bacteria; a case for judicious use of silver nanoparticles for antibacterial applications. International Journal of Nanomedicine .8, 4721-4731.
- Iyer, V.R., Sharma, R., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Small RNAs of Pathogenic Bacteria: Not Small Enough to be overlooked for Therapeutics. Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology .4(1), 17-30.
- Sharma, T.K., Sapra, M., Chopra, A., Sharma, R., Patil, S.D., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Interaction of bacteriocin-capped silver nanoparticles with food pathogens and their antibacterial effect. International Journal of Green Nanotechnology. 4(2), 93-110.
- Sharma, T.K., Chopra, A., Sapra, M., Kumawat, D., Patil, S.D., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Green Synthesis and Antimicrobial Potential of Silver Nanoparticles. International Journal of Green Nanotechnology .4(1), 1-16.
- Bhatia, A., Ali, M., Jitendra, S., Madan, S., Pathania, R., Ahmed,N., Kazmi. A.A. (2012) Microbial diversity during rotary drum and windrow pile composting. Journal of Basic Microbiology .52, 5–15.
- Bhatia, A., Madan, S., Jitendra, S., Ali, M., Pathania, R., Kazmi, A, A. (2012) Diversity of bacterial isolates during full scale rotary drum composting. Waste Management .33, 1595- 1601.
- Pathania, R., Zlitni, S., Barker, C., Das, R., Gerritsma, D., Lebert, J., Awuah, E., Melacini, G., Capretta, F. and Brown, E. (2009) Chemical genomics in Escherichia coli identifies an inhibitor of bacterial lipoprotein targeting. Nature Chemical Biology. 5, 849-856.
- Mok, W., Navani, N.K., Barker,C., Sawchyn,B., Gu, J., Pathania, R., Zhu, R., Brown, E. and Yingfu Li. (2009) Identification of a toxic peptide through bidirectional expression of small RNAs. Chembiochem .10, 238-241.
- Pathania, R. and Brown, E.D (2008) Small and lethal: searching for new antibacterial compounds with novel modes of action. Biochemistry and Cell Biology .86(2)111-5.
- Pathania, R., Navani,N.K., Rajmohan, G. and Dikshit, KL. (2002) Mycobacterium tuberculosis hemoglobin HbO associates with membranes and stimulates cellular respiration of recombinant E.coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry .277(18), 15293-15302.
- Pathania, R., Navani,N.K., Gardner, A.M., Gardner, P.M. and Dikshit, KL. (2002) Nitric oxide scavenging and detoxification by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis hemoglobin, HbN, in E. coli. Molecular Microbiology. 45(5):1303-14
- Ramandeep, Pathania, R., Sharma, V., Mande, S.C., & Dikshit, K.L. (2002). Chimeric Vitreoscilla hemoglobin (VHb) carrying flavoreductase domain relieves nitrosative stress in E. coli: new insight into the functional role of VHb. Applied and Environmental Microbiology .68, 152-160.