Areas of Interest
- Antibiotic Resistance, Bacterial Pathogenesis, Small RNA in Acinetobacter baumannii, Chemical genetic approaches for antibacterial drug discovery
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Professor||Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2014-11-18||5 years 1 month||Associate Professor||Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2007-01-01||7 years 9 months||Assistant Professor||Department of Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2003-01-01||4 years||Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, ON, Canada|
|2003-01-01||Postdoctoral Research Fellow||Program in Molecular Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA.|
Honors and Awards
|Malti Purohit Memorial Award||The National Academy of Sciences India (NASI)||2020|
|B.Sc (Hon.)||Microbiology||GNDU, Amritsar, Punjab||1995|
|M.Sc||Biotechnology||GNDU, Amritsar, Punjab||1997|
|Ph.D||Biotechnology & Molecular Microbiology||CSIR-IMTECH||2004|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Detection and Inhibition of clinically relevant carbapenemase||ICMR-RCN (Indo-Norway)||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Evaluation of genetically attenuated whole cell vaccines against MDR Acinetobacter baumannii||MHRD-STARS||2020-02||Ongoing|
|Chemical genetic approaches for the discovery of novel antibacterials against antibiotic Gram-negative pathogens||SERB||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Chemical genetic approach for discovery of new chemical entities against multiple drug resistant (MD||ICMR||2015-01||3 years|
|Interplay of small RNAs and Hfq in gene expression control in Acinetobacter baumannii: novel mechani||DBT||2016-01||3 years 6 months|
|Development of a bacterial pesticide degrading system for bioremediation of pesticides accumulated i||UCOST||2015-01||3 years 5 months|
|Hazard characterization and isolation of pesticide degrading bacteria for mitigating the environment||UCOST||2011-01||3 years|
Research Scholar Groups
|Dr. Mangal Singh (ICMR-RA)||Identification of novel adjunct molecules to revive the activity of carbapenems against carbapenem resistant Gram negative pathogens|
|Dr. Divya Bandekar (MHRD-Post Doc)||Elucidating mode of action of antibacterial lead molecules; Role of sRNA in A. baumannii physiology|
|Dr. Faheem (ICMR-RA)||To develop novel inhibitors against metallo-protein for controlling the antibiotic resistance|
|Vineet Dubey (DBT-SRF)||Combination strategies against persistence and resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii|
|Jawed Akhter (ICMR-SRF)||Deciphering the mode of action and pharmacokinetics potential of novel antibacterial agents|
|Mahak Saini (MHRD-SRF)||Chemcial genetics for NCE and antibacterial drug discovery|
|Somok Bhowmik (UGC-SRF)||Studies on small RNA based regulation of stress response in A. baumannii|
|Kuldip Devnath (INSPIRE-SRF)||Studies on role of sRNA in Acinetobacter baumannii upon desiccation stress|
|Rinki Gupta (DBT-SRF)||To study the mode of novel antimicrobial molecules|
|Abhiroop Sett (MHRD-SRF)||To study the role of RNA chaperone in nutrient stress of Acinetobacter baumannii|
|Perwez Bakht (ICMR-SRF)||Exploring the functional implication of novel inhibitors against active carbapenemase enzymes|
|Nishant Jyoti (MHRD-JRF)||Role of small RNA in antibiotic stress|
|Avik Pathak (CSIR-JRF)||sRNA based regulation in A. baumannii|
|Poushali Mitra (MHRD-JRF)||Deciphering the mode of actions of novel antibacterial agents|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|To study the role of RNA chaperone in nutrient stress of Acinetobacter baumannii||Abhiroop Sett||O||2018-12|
|To study the mode of novel antimicrobial molecules||Rinki Gupta||O||2018-12|
|Studies on role of sRNA in Acinetobacter baumannii upon desiccation stress||Kuldip Devnath||O||2018-01|
|Studies on small RNA based regulation of stress response in A. baumannii||Somok Bhowmik||O||2017-01|
|Chemcial genetics for NCE and antibacterial drug discovery||Mahak Saini||O||2016-01|
|Deciphering the mode of action and pharmacokinetic potential of novel antibacterial agents||Jawed Akhter||O||2015-01|
|Combination strategies against persistence and resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii||Vineet Dubey||O||2015-01|
|Studies on combinations of antibacterial molecules against MDR Acinetobacter baumannii||Amit Gaurav||A||2014-01|
|Identification and characterization of small RNA from the genetic islands of Acinetobacter baumannii||Timsy Bhando||A||2013-01|
|Studies on novel small RNA and their targets in Acinetobacter baumannii||Atin Sharma||A||2012-01|
|Chemical genetic approaches to combat multi drug resistance in Gram negative bacteria||Tapas Bhattacharyya||A||2010-01|
|Metagenomic approach to study microbes from Himalayan geothermal springs||Jitendra Kumar Sahoo||A||2009-01|
|Antibacterial activity of soil bacilli and potential of essential ‘Y’ genes as drug targets||Supriya Deepak Patil||A||2008-01|
|Identification and characterization of small RNA from Acinetobacter baumannii MTCC 1425||Rajnikant Sharma||A||2008-01|
National International Collaboration
|"Detection and Inhibition of clinically relevant carbapenemases "||UiT The Arctic university of Norway, Tromso funded by ICMR-RCN|
|"small RNA of bacterial pathogens"||York university|
Gaurav A., Sharma A., Pathania R. (2019) Efflux Mediated Co-resistance. In: Mandal S., Paul D. (eds) Bacterial Adaptation to Co-resistance. Springer, Singapore
Bhando T., Dubey V., Pathania R. (2019) Biofilms in Antimicrobial Activity and Drug Resistance. In: Mandal S., Paul D. (eds) Bacterial Adaptation to Co-resistance. Springer, Singapore
Dubey, V., Arya, S., Sen, D., Sharma, A. and Pathania, R., (2019). Computational Prediction of sRNA in Acinetobacter baumannii. In Acinetobacter baumannii (pp. 307-320). Humana Press, New York, NY.
Aradhana Chopra, Tarun Kumar Sharma, Ranjana Pathania and Naveen Kumar Navani. (2013). Aptamer – nanoparticles based nanobiosensor for bacterial detection. Studium press LLC, USA.
Mahak Sapra, Tarun Kumar Sharma, Piyush Kumar, Ranjana Pathania and Naveen Kumar Navani. (2013) Nanoparticles based optical detection of xenobiotics small molecules. Studium press LLC, USA.
Himanshu Joshi, Babita Sinha, Ranjana Pathania and P.K. Ghosh. (2010) Knowledge Sharing and Intellectual Property Management - Status and Strategies. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing. ISBN 978-3-8383-2070-0, 244 Pages.
Ranjana Pathania, Govindan Rajamohan and Kanak L. Dikshit. (2004). Novel hemoglobis of M. Tuberculosis: Role in pathogenicity and cellular metabolism. In “Deep Roots Open Skies: New Biology in India”. Eds S.K.Basu, K.K.Batra and D.M. Salunake. pp. 163-166, 2004
Refereed Journal Papers
- Dubey, V., Gupta, R., and Pathania, R. , “Targeting Superoxide dismutase confers enhanced Reactive Oxygen Species mediated eradication of Polymyxin B induced Acinetobacter baumannii persisters .” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy (2021): doi: 10.1128/AAC.02180-
- Gaurav, A, Kothari, A, Omar, B, and Pathania, R.. " Assessment of polymyxin B-doxycycline combination against Pseudomonas aeruginosa in in vitro and in a mouse acute pneumonia model."; International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents (2020): 106022.
- Uppalapati, S.R., Sett, A. and Pathania, R. The outer membrane proteins OmpA, CarO and OprD of Acinetobacter baumannii confer a two-pronged defense in facilitating its success as a potent human pathogen. Frontiers in microbiology, 11.
- Bhando, T., Bhattacharyya, T., Gaurav, A., Akhter, J., Saini, M., Gupta, V.K., Srivastava, S.K., Sen, H., Navani, N.K., Gupta, V. and Biswas, D., Pathania, R. (2019). Antibacterial properties and in vivo efficacy of a novel nitrofuran, IITR06144, against MDR pathogens. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy.
- Tahlan, S., Kumar, S., Ramasamy, K., Lim, S.M., Shah, S.A.A., Mani, V., Pathania, R. and Narasimhan, B., (2019). Design, synthesis and biological profile of heterocyclic benzimidazole analogues as prospective antimicrobial and antiproliferative agents. BMC Chemistry, 13(1), p.50.
- Sharma, A., Gupta, V.K. and Pathania, R., (2019). Efflux pump inhibitors for bacterial pathogens: From bench to bedside. The Indian Journal of Medical Research, 149(2), p.129.
- Ghosh, T., Srivastava, S.K., Gaurav, A., Kumar, A., Kumar, P., Yadav, A.S., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K., (2019). A Combination of Linalool, Vitamin C, and Copper Synergistically Triggers Reactive Oxygen Species and DNA Damage and Inhibits Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica Serovar Typhi and Vibrio fluvialis. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 85(4), pp.e02487-18.
- Sharma, A., Dubey, V., Sharma, R., Devnath, K., Gupta, V.K., Akhter, J., Bhando, T., Verma, A., Ambatipudi, K.S., Sarkar, M., Pathania, R. (2018). The unusual glycine rich C-terminus of the Acinetobacter baumannii RNA chaperone Hfq plays an important role in bacterial physiology, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 293, 13377-13388
- Gupta, V. K., Gaur, R., Sharma, A., Akther, J., Saini, M., Bhakuni, R. S., & Pathania, R. (2018). A novel bi-functional chalcone inhibits multi-drug resistant Staphylococcus aureus and potentiates the activity of fluoroquinolones. Bioorganic Chemistry. j.bioorg.2018.10.024.
- Sharma, A., Sharma, R., Bhattacharyya, T., Bhando, T., Pathania, R. (2017).Fosfomycin resistance in Acinetobacter baumannii is mediated by efflux through a major facilitator superfamily (MFS) transporter—AbaF, Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, 72, 68–74.
- Bhattacharyya, T., Sharma, A., Akhter, J., & Pathania, R. (2017). The small molecule IITR08027 restores the antibacterial activity of fluoroquinolones against multidrug-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii by efflux inhibition. International journal of antimicrobial agents, 50(2), 219-226.
- Srivastava, S. K., Iyer, V. R., Ghosh, T., Lambadi, P. R., Pathania, R., & Navani, N. K. (2016). Isolation of a non-genomic origin fluoroquinolone responsive regulatory element using a combinatorial bioengineering approach. Nucleic acids research. 44(5), 2451-2461.
- Lambadi, P. R., Sharma, T. K., Kumar, P., Vasnani, P., Thalluri, S. M., Bisht, N., Pathania, R. and Navani, N. K. (2015). Facile biofunctionalization of silver nanoparticles for enhanced antibacterial properties, endotoxin removal, and biofilm control. International journal of nanomedicine. 10, 2155.
- Srivastava, S. K., Lambadi, P. R., Ghosh, T., Pathania, R., & Navani, N. K. (2014). Genetic regulation of spy gene expression in Escherichia coli in the presence of protein unfolding agent ethanol. Gene. 548(1), 142-148.
- Sharma, R., Arya, S., Patil, S. D., Sharma, A., Jain, P. K., Navani, N. K., & Pathania, R. (2014). Identification of novel regulatory small RNAs in Acinetobacter baumannii. PloS one. 9(4), e93833.
- Sharma, R., Arya, S., Patil, S.D., Sharma, A., Jain, P.K., Navani, N.K. and Pathania, R. Identification of novel regulatory small RNAs in Acinetobacter baumannii. PLoS ONE 9(4): e93833. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0093833
- Patil, S.D., Sharma, R., Srivastava, S.K., Navani, N.K. and Pathania, R. (2013) Downregulation of yidC in Escherichia coli by antisense RNA expression results in sensitization to antibacterial essential oils eugenol and carvacrol. PLoS ONE. 8(3), e57370.
- Ghosh, I., Patil, S.D., Sharma, T.K., Srivastava, S.K., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2013) Synergistic action of cinnamaldehyde with silver nanoparticles against spore-forming bacteria; a case for judicious use of silver nanoparticles for antibacterial applications. International Journal of Nanomedicine .8, 4721-4731.
- Iyer, V.R., Sharma, R., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Small RNAs of Pathogenic Bacteria: Not Small Enough to be overlooked for Therapeutics. Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology .4(1), 17-30.
- Sharma, T.K., Sapra, M., Chopra, A., Sharma, R., Patil, S.D., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Interaction of bacteriocin-capped silver nanoparticles with food pathogens and their antibacterial effect. International Journal of Green Nanotechnology. 4(2), 93-110.
- Sharma, T.K., Chopra, A., Sapra, M., Kumawat, D., Patil, S.D., Pathania, R. and Navani, N.K. (2012) Green Synthesis and Antimicrobial Potential of Silver Nanoparticles. International Journal of Green Nanotechnology .4(1), 1-16.
- Bhatia, A., Ali, M., Jitendra, S., Madan, S., Pathania, R., Ahmed,N., Kazmi. A.A. (2012) Microbial diversity during rotary drum and windrow pile composting. Journal of Basic Microbiology .52, 5–15.
- Bhatia, A., Madan, S., Jitendra, S., Ali, M., Pathania, R., Kazmi, A, A. (2012) Diversity of bacterial isolates during full scale rotary drum composting. Waste Management .33, 1595- 1601.
- Pathania, R., Zlitni, S., Barker, C., Das, R., Gerritsma, D., Lebert, J., Awuah, E., Melacini, G., Capretta, F. and Brown, E. (2009) Chemical genomics in Escherichia coli identifies an inhibitor of bacterial lipoprotein targeting. Nature Chemical Biology. 5, 849-856.
- Mok, W., Navani, N.K., Barker,C., Sawchyn,B., Gu, J., Pathania, R., Zhu, R., Brown, E. and Yingfu Li. (2009) Identification of a toxic peptide through bidirectional expression of small RNAs. Chembiochem .10, 238-241.
- Pathania, R. and Brown, E.D (2008) Small and lethal: searching for new antibacterial compounds with novel modes of action. Biochemistry and Cell Biology .86(2)111-5.
- Pathania, R., Navani,N.K., Rajmohan, G. and Dikshit, KL. (2002) Mycobacterium tuberculosis hemoglobin HbO associates with membranes and stimulates cellular respiration of recombinant E.coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry .277(18), 15293-15302.
- Pathania, R., Navani,N.K., Gardner, A.M., Gardner, P.M. and Dikshit, KL. (2002) Nitric oxide scavenging and detoxification by the Mycobacterium tuberculosis hemoglobin, HbN, in E. coli. Molecular Microbiology. 45(5):1303-14
- Ramandeep, Pathania, R., Sharma, V., Mande, S.C., & Dikshit, K.L. (2002). Chimeric Vitreoscilla hemoglobin (VHb) carrying flavoreductase domain relieves nitrosative stress in E. coli: new insight into the functional role of VHb. Applied and Environmental Microbiology .68, 152-160.