Areas of Interest
- Non-invasive Sensors for plant quality monitoring, Prediction of fruit quality using non-invasive metabolite-based electronic sensors , Non-invasive sensors for plant disease detection, Detection of rice blast and apple disease using SMART sensor, Non-invasie mobile phone based sensor, Portable sensor for quantification of natural products from medicinal plants, ROS-omics: Comprehensive omics of apples and pear, Use of genomics & metabolomics resources for the improvement of fruit quality of Rosaceous plant, Plant metabolomics, Mass spectrometry based plant metabolomics: medicinal and fruit plants, Metabolic Pathway Engineering using SMART Plant cells, Engineering of secondary metabolic pathways in selected cis genically modified medicinal plants
|2018-01-01||Ongoing||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||5 years||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2011-01-01||2 years||Post-doctoral Fellow||IPB, TU-Braunschweig, GERMANY|
|2010-01-01||1 year||Post-doctoral Fellow||University of Evora, PORTUGAL|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Member Secretary IBSC||Institutional Biosafety Committee|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Officer In-Charge Administration||Biotechnology Department IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||Ongoing||Officer In-Charge Store & Purchase||Biotechnology Department IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||Ongoing||Member DRC (Departmental Research Committee)||Biotechnology Department IIT Roorkee|
Honors and Awards
|Institute Research Fellow (IRF) for performing outstanding research at IIT Rorokee||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2019|
|DAAD Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists||IIT Roorkee||2015|
|SERB Young Scientist||SERB India||2013|
|Post-doctoral fellowship||Institute for Pharmaceutical Biology, TU-Braunschweig, GERMANY||2020|
|FCT Post-doctoral felloship (with evaluation score 5/5))||Laboratory of molecular biology, University of Evora; PORTUGAL||2010|
|DAAD Fellowship||Institute for Pharmaceutical Biology, TU-Braunschweig, GERMANY||2008|
|University First, gold medal in M.Sc Botany||The University of Burdwan, West Bengal||2004|
|University first in B.Sc Botany||Vinoba Bhave University||2001|
|M.Sc||Plant Science||University of Burdwan, West Bengal||2004|
|Ph.D.||Plant Biology||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||2009|
|FCT, Post-doctoral fellow||Molecular Plant Breeding research||University of Evora, Portugal||2011|
|Post-doctoral fellow||Functional Genomics and Metabolomics research||Institute for Pharmaceutical Biology, TU-Braunschweig, GERMANY||2013|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Functional Genomics of Phytoalexin Biosynthesis in Apple||SERB Fast Track||2014-01||6 years 6 months|
|Development of sensors for blast and blight diseases and stomata activity measurement in rice (O. Sa||ICAR||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Generation of BMPR-1B gene edited goats using CRISPR/Cas technology to explore the functional role o||ICAR||2019-01||Ongoing|
|Assessment of the mechanism of actions of some selected Homeopathic preparations for their role in t||AYUSH||2018-01||Ongoing|
|Development of an Electronic Nose For the Optimum Harvesting time and Fruit Quality in Apple||ICAR NASF||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Detection of Spoiled Coconut at Pre–Processing Stage by Portable Wireless Electronic Sensor.||Coconut Development Board||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Assessment of the role of pterostilbene and its derivatives for the prevention of bone loss in breas||DBT||2016-01||4 years 6 months|
|Screening iron, zinc and carotenoid bioavailability from biofortified staple crops using coupled in||DBT||2015-01||5 years 6 months|
|Development of a rapid and robust high throughput reporter cell based bioassay for detection of xeno||ICAR NASF (as Co-PI)||1918-01||Ongoing|
Participation in seminars
|Invited Talk: SEMINAR ON Emerging Trends in Bioprospecting of Phytoresources by Chemistry & Bioprosp||Forest Research Institute, Dehradun||FRI, DEHRADUN||2019-01|
|Invited Talk: International conference on Conservation and sustainable use of high altitude medicina||FRI, DEHRADUN||National Medicinal Plants Board, Ministry of AYUSH||2019-01|
|Invited Talk: 23rd National convention of society of pharmacognosy and international conferences on||CSIR-National Botanical Research Institute, Lucknow (India)||NBRI||2020-07|
|Invited Talk: 6th Biennial International Conference on New Developments in Drug Discovery from Natur||National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Punjab (India)||NIPER, Mohali||2020-07|
|Recent Advances in Ayurvedic herbal medicine- from source to manufacturing (Invited Talk)||Uttarakhand Ayurved University, Dehradun, Uttarakhand (India)||IIT Roorkee||2020-07|
|XV Annual convention of ISVPT (Invited Talk)||NDRI, Karnal, Haryana (India)||SERB Young Scientist Grant||2020-07|
|4th International Conf. and Exhibition on Pharmacognosy, Phytochemistry and Nat Prod (Invited Talk)||Sao Paulo, Brazil||IIT Roorkee||2020-07|
|International Conference on Molecular Signaling- Recent Trends in Biosciences (Invited Talk)||North Eastern Hill University, Shilong (India)||IIT Roorkee||2020-07|
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Cell Biology||BTN 104||B.Tech||Spring|
|Plant System Physiology||BTN 642||M.Sc||Spring|
|Plant Biotechnology||BTN 303||B.Tech||Autumn|
|Cell and Tissue Cult Technology||BTN 621||M.Sc||Autumn|
|Recombinant DNA Technology||BTN 657||M.Tech||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|PURIFICATION, STRUCTURE ELUCIDATION AND ASSESSMENT OF ANTI-PROLIFERATIVE PROPERTY OF A NOVEL BIPHENY||Mr. Aman Kr. Chaudhary (M.Sc)|
|DEVELOPING ALTERNATIVE OXIDASE (AOX) AS A FUNCTIONAL MARKER FOR ADAPTIVE CELL-REPROGRAMMING IN APPLE||Ms. Kriti Juneja|
|EVALUATION OF THE TOTAL PHENOLIC AND FLAVONOID CONTENT AS WELL AS THE ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTY OF CALLUS||Ms. Pallavi Roy Chowdhury|
|METABOLIC STUDIES OF INDIAN MEDICINAL PLANT RUTA GRAVEOLENS FOR RAPID ISOLATION OF COMMERCIALLY IMPO||Mr. Sagar Tyagi|
|PHYTOALEXINS BIOSYNTHESIS & BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF BENZALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASE IN Pyru||Ms Annu Verma|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|BIOSYNTHESIS OF BENZOATE-DERIVED BIPHENYL PHYTOALEXINS IN CELL CULTURES OF Pyrus pyrifolia||Dr. Shashank Sagar Saini||O||2013-01|
|BIOCHEMICAL AND MOLECULAR ANALYSES OF PHYTOALEXIN BIOSYNTHESIS IN APPLE CELL CULTURES||Dr. Sarkate Amol Vitthalrao||O||2013-01|
|MOLECULAR ANALYSES OF CINNAMTE CoA-LIGASE FROM PHYTOALEXIN PRODUCING APPLE CELL CULTURES||Dr. Deepa Teotia||O||2013-01|
|ISOLATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF BIOACTIVE METABOLITES FROM SELECTED MEDICINAL PLANTS||Ms. Kriti Juneja||O||2015-01|
|METABOLOMICS-BASED APPROACHED TO UNRAVEL HEALTH PROTECTIVE PROPERTIES OF COCONUT PRODUCTS||Mr. Mukund Kumar||O||2016-01|
|METABOLOMICS-BASED BIOACTIVITY ASSESSMENT OF PLUMBAGO ZEYLANICA||Mr. Ashwani Kumar||O||2016-01|
|METABOLOMICS OF ASWAGANDHA FOR CHARACTERIZATION OF VALUE ADDED NATURAL PRODUCTS.||Ms. Varsha||O||2016-01|
|VOLATILE METABOLOMICS OF RIPENING ASSOCIATED METABOLITES IN APPLE.||Ms Komol||O||2017-01|
|VOLATOMICS OF PAPAYA TO DETERMINE ACCURATE HARVESTING TIME||Mr. Waghmode B||O||2017-01|
|FUNCTIONAL GENOMICS AND METABOLOMICS OF HEAT STRESS IN BARLEY||Ms. Reeku||O||2014-01|
|DEVELOPEMNT OF ELECTRONIC NOSE SENSOR FOR PRE-PROCESSING DETECTION OF SPOILED COCONUT||Mr. Arun Kumar||O||2017-01|
|Expert member for SEMINAR on Emerging Trends in Bioprospecting of Phytoresources.||FRI, Dehradun||2019-01|
|Linking R & D with stakeholders & Entrepreneurs||FRI, Dehradun||2018-01|
|Precision Agriculture in India- Way Forward||ICAR||2018-01|
|Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists 2015||TU-Braunschweig, GERMANY||2015-01|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|International Conference on ‘Molecular Signaling: Recent Trends in Biomedical and Translational Res||DBT, SERB, DRDO, INSA, NDRC||2020-07|
|Indo-US conference and workshop on “Recent Advances on Structural Biology and Drug Discovery||DBT, SERB, DRDO, INSA, NDRC and Indo-US||2020-07|
National International Collaboration
|Metabolomics and Functional Genomics of Rosaceous Plants.||TU-BS-Germany|
|Metabolomics and Fluxomics analyses of plants||IIT Mandi|
|Metabolomics based sensor for rice disease detection||Shivnadar University and BHU|
|Volatomics based sensor||OUAT, Bhubaneswar|
|SMART Cell for medicinal plants||JNU|
|SMART sensor for quality assurance of medicinal plant||NBRI LUcknow|
|Sub-cellular Localization of phytolaexin biosynthesis proteins in Rosaceae||Institute of Plant Biology, TU-BS, Germany|
|Alternative oxidase gene as functional marker candidate metabolic re-programming.||University of Evora, PORTUGAL|
|Health protective Phytomedicine from selected Indian medicinal plants||IIT Kharagpur|
|Molecular breeding in apple and pear||ICAR-CITH, Srinagar|
|Metabolic flux analyses in natural product Biosynthesis||IIT Mandi|
Particulars of course- Courses currently teaching: B.Tech: Plant Biotechnology (BTN 303) Cell Biology (BTN 104) M. Sc: Cell and Tissue Culture Technology (BTN 621) Plant System Physiology (BTN 642) M.Sc Project (BTN 620) M.Tech: Recombinant DNA Technology (BTN 657) New Course Developed: Plant System Physiology (BTN 642)
Innovation in teaching- Interactive teaching with audio-video quizes
- Tomar V, Saini SS, Juneja K, Agrawal PK, Sircar D* (2019) Transgenic Technologies and Their Potential Applications in Horticultural Crop Improvement. Advances in Plant Transgenics: Methods and Applications (R. Sathishkumar et al. (eds.), Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-9624-3_9
- Juneja K, Saini SS, Gaid M, Beerhues L, Sircar D* (2017) Production of life-saving drugs from Himalayan herbs. Sustainable Utilization of Natural Resources (Mondal, P., Dalai, A.K., eds.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA Chapter 11:333-352.
- Mitra A, Mukherjee C, Sircar D (2017) Metabolic Phytochemistry-Based Approaches for Studying Secondary Metabolism Using Transformed Root Culture Systems. In: Jha S. (eds) Transgenesis and Secondary Metabolism. Reference Series in Phytochemistry. Springer, Cham. Chapter 20: 513-37
- Nogales A, Noceda C, Ragonezi C, Cardoso H G, Campos M D, Frederico A M, Sircar D, Kumar S R, Polidoros A, Peixe A and Arnholdt-Schmitt B (2015) Functional marker development from AOX genes requires deep phenotyping and individualized diagnosis, in Alternative respiratory pathways in higher plants (eds K. J. Gupta, L. A.J. Mur and B. Neelwarne), John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK. Chapter 13.1: 273-2080.
Refereed Journal Papers
31. Juneja K, Mishra R, Chauhan S, Gupta S, Roy P, Sircar D* (2020) Metabolite profiling and wound-healing activity of Boerhaviadiffusa leaf extracts using in vitro and in vivo models, Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine. (10): 52-5930.
30. Teotia D, Gaid M, Saini SS, Verma A, Yennamalli RM, Khare SP, Ambatipudi K, Mir JI, Beuerle T, Hänsch R, Roy P, Agrawal PK, Beerhues L, Sircar D* (2019) Cinnamate: CoA‐ligase is involved in benzoate‐derived biphenyl phytoalexin biosynthesis in Malus× domestica ‘Golden Delicious' Plant Journal. 100: 1176-1192
29. Saini SS, Teotia D, Gaid MM, Sircar D* (2019) A New Enzymatic Activity from Elicitor treated Pear Cell Cultures Converting trans‐Cinnamic acid to Benzaldehyde. Physiologia Plantarum. 167: 64-74
28. Saini SS, Gaid M, Sircar D* (2019) Benzoate-CoA ligase contributes to the biosynthesis of biphenyl phytoalexins in elicitor-treated pear cell cultures. Plant cell reports. 1-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00299-019-02484-0
27. Tomar V, Beeurle T, Sircar D* (2019) A validated HPTLC method for the simultaneous quantifications of three phenolic acids and three withanolides from Withania somnifera plants and its herbal products. J Chromatogr B. 1124:154-60
26. Chaudhary R, Baranwal VK , Kumar R, Sircar D, Chauhan H (2019) Genome-wide identification and expression analysis of Hsp70, Hsp90, and Hsp100 heat shock protein genes in barley under stress conditions and reproductive development. Functional & Integrative Genomics. 19: 1007-1022
25. Varshney R, Mishra R, Das N, Sircar D, Roy P (2019) A comparative analysis of various flavonoids in the regulation of obesity and diabetes: An in vitro and in vivo study. Journal of Functional Foods. 59:194–205
24. Mishra R, Varshney R, Das N, Sircar D, Roy P (2019) Synthesis and characterization of gelatin-PVP polymer composite scaffold for potential application in bone tissue engineering. European Polymer Journal. 119:155-168
23. Varshney AL, Pathak NP, Sircar D* (2019) Design of graphene-based THz antennas. Computing, Communication and Signal Processing, 29-35
22. Liu B, Gaid M, Chizzali C, Khalil MNA, Sircar D, Reckwell, D, Beerhues L (2019) Biphenyls and dibenzofurans are the phytoalexins of apple. Acta horticulturae. DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2019.1261.37
21. Varshney AL, Pathak NP, Sircar D* (2018) Beam Steering THz Antenna Array using Graphene-based Phase Shifter 2018 IEEE Indian Conference on Antennas and Propagation (InCAP), 1-4
20. Sarkate A, Saini SS, Gaid M, Teotia D, Mir JI, Agrawal PK, Beerhues L, Sircar D*(2018) Comparative metabolomics of scab-resistant and susceptible apple cell cultures in response to scab fungus elicitor treatment. Scientific Reports. 8(1):17844
19. Sarkate A, Saini SS, Gaid M, Teotia D, Mir JI, Agrawal PK, Beerhues L, Sircar D.*(2018) Molecular Cloning and Functional Analysis of a Biphenyl Phytoalexin-specific O-methyltransferase from Apple Cell Suspension Cultures. Planta. 249(3):677-691
18. Varshney R, Varshney R, Mishra R, Gupta S, Sircar D, Roy P (2018) Kaempferol alleviates palmitic acid-induced lipid stores, endoplasmic reticulum stress and pancreatic β-cell dysfunction through AMPK/mTOR-mediated lipophagy. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 57: 212-27
17. Sarkate A, Saini SS, Kumar P, Sharma AK, Sircar D* (2018) Salicylaldehyde synthase activity from Venturia inaequalis elicitor-treated cell culture of apple. J Plant Physiol. 221: 66-73.
16. Saini SS, Teotia D, Gaid M, Thakur A, Beerhues L, Sircar D* (2017) Benzaldehyde dehydrogenase-driven phytoalexin biosynthesis in elicitor treated Pyrus pyrifolia cell cultures. J Plant Physiol. 215: 154-62.
15. Sarkate A, Banerjee S, Mir JI, Roy P, Sircar D* (2017) Antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of bioactive phenolic metabolites isolated from the yeast-extract treated cell culture of apple. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Culture. 130:641-49.
14. Teotoa D, Saini SS, Gaid M, Beuerle T, Beerhues L, Sircar D * (2016) Development and Validation of a New HPLC Method for the Determination of Biphenyl and Dibenzofuran Phytoalexins in Rosaceae. J Chromatogr Sci. (2016) doi: 10.1093/chromsci /bmw019.
13. Mukherjee C, Sircar D, Chatterjee M, Das S, Mitra A (2014) Combating photooxidative stress in green hairy roots of Daucus carota cultivated under light irradiation. J Plant Physiol. 171: 179-87.
12. Sircar D, Gaid M, Chizzali C, Reckwell D, Kaufholdt D, Beuerle T, Broggini GA, Flachowsky H, Liu B, Haensch R, Beerhues L (2015). Biphenyl 4-Hydroxylases Involved in Aucuparin Biosynthesis in Rowan and Apple are CYP736A Proteins. Plant Physiology. 168: 428-442
11. Gaid MM#, Sircar D#, Müller A, Beuerle T, Liu B, Ernst L, Hänsch R, Beerhues L (2012): Cinnamate:CoA ligase initiates the biosynthesis of a benzoate-derived xanthone phytoalexin in Hypericum calycinum cell cultures. Plant Physiology 160: 1267-80 [# - joint first author].
10.Moon UR, Sircar D, Barthwal R, Sen SK, Beuerle T, Beerhues L, Mitra A (2015). Shoot cultures of Hoppea fastigiata (Griseb.) C.B. Clarke as potential source of neuroprotective xanthones. J Nat Med DOI 10.1007/s11418-015-0904-x
9. Santos-Mecedo E#, Sircar D#, Cardoso H, Peixe A, Arnholdt-Schmitt B (2012): Involvement of alternative oxidase (AOX) in adventitious rooting of Olea europaea L. microshoots is linked to adaptive phenylpropanoid and lignin metabolism. Plant Cell Rep. 31: 1581-90; [# - joint first author].
8. Sircar D*, Cardoso HG, Mukherjee C, Mitra A, Arnholdt-Schmidt B (2012): Alternative oxidase (AOX) and phenolic metabolism in methyl-jasmonate-treated hairy root cultures of Daucus carota L. J. Plant Physiol 169: 657-663.
7. Sircar, D., Mukherjee, C., Beuerle, T., Beerhues, L. and Mitra A. (2011): Characterization of p-hydroxybenzaldehyde dehydrogenase - the final enzyme of p-hydroxybenzoic acid biosynthesis in hairy roots of Daucus carota. Acta Physiol Plantarum 33:2019-2024.
6. Sircar, D. and Mitra A. (2009): Accumulation of p-hydroxybenzoic acid in hairy roots of Daucus carota 2.Confirming biosynthetic steps through feeding of inhibitors and precursors. J. Plant Physiol. 166, 1370-1380.
5. Gaid, MM.,# Sircar, D.,# Beuerle, T., Mitra, A. and Beerhues, L. (2009): Benzaldehyde dehydrogenase from chitosan-treated Sorbus aucuparia cell cultures. J. Plant Physiol. 166, 1343-1349. [# - joint first author].
4. Chakraborty, D.,# Sircar, D.# and Mitra A. (2008): Phenylalanine ammonia-lyase-mediated biosynthesis of 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzaldehyde in roots of Hemidesmus indicus. J. Plant Physiol. 165, 1033-1040. [#- joint first author].
3. Sircar, D and Mitra, A. (2008): Evidence for p-hydroxybenzoate formation involving enzymatic phenylpropanoid side-chain cleavage in hairy roots of Daucus carota. J. Plant Physiol. 165, 407-414.
2. Sircar, D., Dey, G. and Mitra A. (2007): A validated HPLC method for simultaneous determination of 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzaldehyde and 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzoic acid in root organs of Hemidesmus indicus. Chromatographia. 65, 349-353. (IF= 1.09).
1. Sircar, D., Roychowdhury, A. and Mitra, A. (2007): Accumulation of p-hydroxybenzoic acid in hairy roots of Daucus carota. J. Plant Physiol. 164, 1358-1366.