Areas of Interest
- Thermal comfort and Energy efficiency in built environment, Hygrothermal performance of building materials, Building Information Modeling and Urban Information systems, Climate change impact in built environment, Building Automation and Controls, Architectural Acoustics and Lighting Design, Environmental Noise and Mitigation Strategies
|2010-01-01||5 years||Research and Development Engineer||L&T Construction|
Honors and Awards
|BHAVAN Post-Doctoral Fellowship||IUSSTF||2017|
|Shastri Indo-Canadian Doctoral Fellowship||Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute||2020|
|Best Paper Award||MIRC Acoustical Society of America||2009|
|Best Paper Award||CBRI Roorkee||2008|
|Best Paper Award||MIRC Acoustical Society of America||2004|
|PhD||Thermal comfort characteristics of naturally ventilated apartments||IIT Madras||2012|
|M.S. by Research||Thermal, Acoustical and Lighting comfort in moderate thermal environments||IIT Madras||2006|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Zero Peak Energy Building Design for India||DST EPSRC||2018-01||Ongoing|
|An Integrated Framework for Improving Building Energy Efficiency||IUSSTF||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Smart Performance Roadmap for Airport Terminal Buildings in India||DST||2017-01||Ongoing|
|Identification and Demonstration of Technologies to Maximize Habitat Energy Self-Sufficiency||DST||2018-01||Ongoing|
- NABET, Functional Area Expert in Noise and Vibration
- US Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional
- ASHRAE, Member
- Acoustical Society of America, Member
- Estidama, Pearl Qualified Professional
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Computer Application in Architecture||ARN-609||M.Arch||Autumn|
|Acoustics and Lighting||ARN-304||B.Arch.||Spring|
|Computer Application in Architecture||ARN-305||B.Arch.||Autumn|
|Construction Planning and Management||ARN-413||B.Arch.||Autumn|
1. Manavvi, S., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Evaluating outdoor thermal comfort in “Haats”–The open air markets in a humid subtropical region. Building and Environment, 107527.
2. Lala, S., Jain, K., Kumar, A., Kumar, A., Rajasekar, E., & Kulkarni, K. (2020). Design Aids for Supplementary Lighting Design in India. Journal of Institution of Engineers India Series A, 102
3. Sinha, K., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Thermal comfort evaluation of an underground metro station in New Delhi using agent-based modelling. Building and Environment, 106924.
4. Thampan, A., Sinha, K., Gurjar, B. R., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Functional efficiency in airport terminals: A review on Overall and Stratified Service Quality. Journal of Air Transport Management, 87, 101837.
5. Manavvi, S., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Estimating outdoor mean radiant temperature in a humid subtropical climate. Building and Environment, 171, 106658.
6. Chaturvedi, S., Rajasekar, E., & Natarajan, S. (2020). Multi-objective Building Design Optimization under Operational Uncertainties Using the NSGA II Algorithm. Buildings, 10(5), 88.
7. Manavvi, S., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Semantics of outdoor thermal comfort in religious squares of composite climate: New Delhi, India. International Journal of Biometeorology, 64(2), 253-264.
8. Rajasekar, E., Udaykumar, A., Soumya, R., & Venkateswaran, R. (2015). Towards dynamic thermal performance benchmarks for naturally ventilated buildings in a hot-dry climate. Building and Environment, 88, 129-141.
9. Udaykumar, A., Rajasekar, E., & Venkateswaran, R. (2015). Thermal comfort characteristics in naturally ventilated, residential apartments in a hot-dry climate of India. Indoor and Built Environment, 24(1), 101-115.
10. Rajasekar, E., Anupama, U., & Venkateswaran, R. (2014). Thermal comfort beyond building design–an investigation in naturally ventilated residential apartments in a hot–dry climate. Advances in Building Energy Research, 8(2), 196-215.
11. Rajasekar, E., Pari, Y., Khaleel, A., Ravi, M., & Venkateswaran, R. (2013). Evaluation of noise climate in a campus environment using geospatial technology. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 133, 3372.
12. Rajasekar, E., Rajkumar, S., & Venkateswaran, R. (2012) Thermal Comfort Characteristics and Occupant Expectations in Open Plan Offices - An Investigation in Hot Humid Climate, Invertis Journal of Renewable Energy, Volume 2, Number 3, 2012, 1-10.
13. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. (2011). A study on thermal parameters in residential buildings associated with hot humid environments. Architectural Science Review, 54(1), 23-38.
14. Chetan S, Sankar., Ramachandriah, A., Raju, P K., Venkateswaran, R., & Rajasekar, E. (2011) Solving the Acoustic Problem in Polyvalent Hall at Mauritius: Global Design Challenge Facing Larsen & Toubro, Limited, Journal of STEM Education, 12(12), 67-77.
15. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. (2005) A study on acoustical comfort in moderate thermal environments, Journal of Acoustical Society of India, 33, 15 – 21.
Publications (Book Chapters):
1. Rajasekar, E., Ramachandraiah, A., & Ashok Kumar (2017). Thermal performance of building envelops. Encyclopedia of Sustainable Technologies. Elsevier, Abraham, M.A. (Ed.), 169–188. ISBN: 9780128046777.
2. Rajasekar, E., Thakur, G., & Zeleke, B. (2020). Thermal Adaptation and Sustainable Housing in Cold Climates. Encyclopedia of Renewable and Sustainable Materials. Elsevier, 244–258. ISBN: 978-0-12-803581-8.
1. Sinha, K., & Rajasekar, E. (2018). Assessment of transient thermal comfort characteristics in an underground metro station 2018. Proceedings of the 10th Windsor Conference, Windsor, London, UK (pp. 1186–1201).
2. Gupta, V., Upadhyay, K., Elangovan, R., & Kumar, A. (2018). Effect of intra-climate variation in thermal performance of public housing in a composite climate of India. Proceedings of the PLEA 2018, Hong Kong, China (pp. 439–444).
3. Sinha, K., Ali, Nusrat, & Rajasekar, E. (2019). An Agent-based dynamic occupancy schedule model for prediction of HVAC energy demand in an airport terminal building, Proceedings of the 16th IBPSA Conference Rome, Italy (pp.2063–2070).
4. Sushanth, S. J., & Rajasekar, E. Impact of micro-climate on ventilation availability and indoor thermal Comfort 2019 762–768. Proceedings of the 16th IBPSA Conference Rome, Italy.
5. Chung, W. J., Cecinati, F., Liu, C., Rajasekar, E., Coley, D., & Natarajan, S. (2019). The impact of weather spatial variations on thermal mass design in India. Proceedings of the 16th IBPSA Conference Rome, Italy (pp. 3311–3317).
6. Singhal, G., Devi, S., Rajasekar, E., & Natrajan, S. Optimization of the building form and fenestration for the current and future climate scenarios 2019. Proceedings of the 16th IBPSA Conference Rome, Italy (pp. 3046–3052).
7. Veena, N., Manojkumar, S., & Rajasekar, E. Impact of envelope thermal mass on building cooling energy demand in different climates of India. (2019). Builder2019 building energy demand reduction in global south, Delhi, India.
8. Sinha, K., Ali, N., & Rajasekar, E. Application of agent-based modelling for thermal comfort and energy efficiency studies in airport terminal buildings 2019 AnyLogic Indian User Conference, Bangalore, India.
9. Ali, N., Thampan, A., Rajasekar, E., & Sinha, K. Application of agent-based modelling for service quality assessment of airport terminal building 2019 AnyLogic Indian User Conference, Bangalore, India.
10. Das, S., Upadhyay, K., Subudhi, S., & Rajasekar, E. (2019). Study of physiological thermoregulation of the human body at extreme. Temperature. Proceedings of the 25th National and 3rd International Conference ISHMT-ASFTE HEAT and Mass Transfer, Roorkee, India, 931–936.
11. Anand, V., Devi, S., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Effect of metabolic rates on walkability in outdoor environments: A case study. Proceedings of the 11th Windsor Conference: Resilient Comfort, Windsor, London, UK (pp. 401–410).
12. Zeleke, B., & Rajasekar, E. (2020). Geospatial thermal stress assessment and a new bioclimatic classification for Ethiopia. Proceedings of the 11th Windsor Conference: Resilient Comfort, Windsor, London, UK (pp. 647–660).
13. Soumya, R., Bishnoi, A., Rajasekar, E., & Venkateswaran, R. Effect of operational energy variations on life cycle energy: An evaluation in residential apartments 2018. Proceedings of the 10th Windsor Conference, Windsor, London, UK (pp. 1102–1116).
14. Belay Zeleke., & Rajasekar, E. Comfort and Energy Assessment of Low-cost Public Housing Scheme in Ethiopia. International Symposium to Promote Innovation and Research in Energy Efficiency, November 29th to Dec 1st 2017, Jaipur India.
15. Swetha D., E. Rajasekar, Phillip Molter., & Tillmann Klein. Adaptive solar shading. Proceedings of ne-xt facades - COST Action TU 1403 adaptive facade network mid-term conference, November, 7 2017, 82-83.
16. Sweta Haldar, Rajasekar E, Govindaraj V & Amit Barde. Development of a framework for carbon footprint assessment of building construction systems. PLEA 2017 Proceedings, Volume 1, 924-931.
17. Vineeth A C, Dinakar N S., & Rajasekar E. Assessing and mapping the carbon footprint of a campus using BIM and Geo-spatial techniques. PLEA 2017 Proceedings, Volume 1, 916 – 924.
18. Gupta, R., Jain, K., & Rajasekar, E. Impact of Internal Loads and Operational Strategies on Comfort and Energy Consumption: An Application in the Composite Climate of India. Windsor 2016, 9 – 11th April 2016, Windsor Great Park, UK.
19. Rijil Das, T.V., & Rajasekar, E. Effect of location specific climatic diversities on comfort and energy consumption: A study on India’s composite climate zone. Proceedings of the 9th Windsor Conference 2016, 9 – 11th April 2016, Windsor Great Park, UK.
20. Ashok Kumar, P.S.Chani, Rajesh Deoliya., & Rajasekar E. Quantification of Different Parameters for Energy Efficiency in Buildings. National Seminar RENCON16, organized by The Institution of Engineers (India), Roorkee, Feb. 13, 2016.
21. Phalguni Mukhopadhyaya., & Rajasekar E. Energy Efficient Housing and Next Generation Thermal Insulations – A Review. HABITAT AND SUSTAINABLE URBAN AGENDA -INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM, 27- 28 January 2016, Kolkata, India.
22. E. Rajasekar, R. Soumya., & Rajan Venkateswaran, Challenges in designing for comfort – Comfort and energy use characterization in residential apartments, Proceedings of the 8th Windsor Conference Counting the cost of comfort in a changing world, 9 – 11th April 2014, Windsor Great Park, UK.
23. Rajasekar, E., Pari, Y., Khaleel, A., Ravi, M., & Venkateswaran, R. Mapping and monitoring of construction equipment noise using geospatial technology, Indo-French Conference on Acoustics, November 10–15 2013, New Delhi. India.
24. Rajasekar, E., Khaleel, A., & Venkateswaran, R. Noise control techniques for higher capacity diesel generators, Indo-French Conference on Acoustics, November 10–15 2013, New Delhi. India.
25. Rajasekar, E. Anupama U and R. Venkateswaran Thermal comfort performance and influence of material properties in apartment buildings—A parametric investigation in a hot-humid climate, International Conference on Advanced Materials for Energy Efficient Buildings. February 13–15 2013, New Delhi, India.
26. Pari, Y., Rajasekar, E., Khaleel, A., Ravi, M., & Venkateswaran, R. Mapping and monitoring of noise levels in campus environment using geospatial technology, International Conference on Advances in Building Sciences. February 13–16 2013, Chennai, India.
27. Soumya, R., Anupama, U., Rajasekar, E., & Venkateswaran, R. Thermal comfort characteristics of naturally ventilated residential buildings in composite climate, International Conference on Advances in Building Sciences. February 13–16 2013, Chennai, India.
28. Ramachandraiah, E., Rajasekar, C. S., Sankar, P. K., Raju, P. R., Venkateswaran, R., & Raghavan, K. P. Improving the quality of human life in India and the U.S. using thermal comfort and acoustic treatment methodologies: Auburn University/IIT Madras IRES projects, International Conference on Advances in Building Sciences. February 13–16 2013, Chennai, India.
29. Nandakumar, B. S., Rajasekar, E., & Venkateswaran, R. Development of a comprehensive glazing selection tool for energy efficient buildings, GRIHA Regional Conference—"Innovations in Green Buildings—The GRIHA Approach. December 10–11 2012, Bangalore, India.
30. Kiran Kumar, D. E. V. S., Ramachandraiah, A., & Rajasekar, E. Double skin facades- a case study in warm- humid climate, National Conference on Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (NCRAC-2011). July 7–9, 2011, Chennai, India.
31. Kiran Kumar, D. E. V. S., Ramachandraiah, A., & Rajasekar, E. (2011, July 4–7). Energy savings and occupant comfort studies for a conditioned Open Plan Office Building, the 24th International Conference on Efficiency, Cost, Optimization, Simulation and Environmental Impact Energy Systems (ECOS vi). July 4-7, 2011, Sad. Serbia.
32. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. Adaptive comfort and thermal expectations—A subjective evaluation in hot humid climate, Proceedings of the 6th Windsor Conference Adapting to change: New thinking on comfort. April 9–11 2010, Windsor Great Park, UK.
33. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. Some aspects of acoustics and thermal comfort in the context of green buildings. National Symposium on Acoustics (NSA 2009), December 2009. Hyderabad. India. (Best Paper award)
34. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. Studies on comfort characteristics of open plan office like work spaces, Challenges and applications of Mathematical modeling techniques in building science and technology, February 2008, Roorkee. India. (Best Paper award)
35. Rajasekar, E., & Ramachandraiah, A. Some aspects of comfort rating scales. All India Seminar on Architectural Appreciation—Recent Trends In Functional Design, July 2004, Chennai. India.