The Architecture Course was started at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee in the year 1956-57. In the year 1961, the Department was housed in its own independent building and premises. The B.Arch. course was recognized by the Indian Institute of Architects in December 1961. The Department has the singular distinction of being the first in INDIA in instituting a Masters degree course in Architecture (M. Arch.) in the year 1969-70. This was eventually raised to an independent course of Masters Degree in Urban and Rural Planning (MURP) in the year 1973-74. The Institute takes very special care in selecting students for admission to various academic programmes with the objective of providing technical education only to the best ones.