About Ganga Bhawan


Ganga Bhawan, one of the oldest residents in IIT Roorkee. It was named after Sir Ganga Ram, one of the greatest products of the erstwhile Thomason College of Engineering. The foundation stone of the then D.S. hostel (presently 'B' Block) was laid by Sri B.R. Sabbarwal, Retired Chief Engineer, Bengal on Nov. 26,1956. This wing was opened by Ch. Girdhari Lal, Minister for Irrigation, Power and P.W.D., U.P. Government on Nov. 27 1960. During the years as the intake of students increased the hostel expanded to accommodate them. A part of the hostel was dedicated to form a new hostel for the new entrants i.e. Rajendra bhawan. At present Ganga bhawan consists of three blocks in alphabetical order with a total strength of 438 (310 Single rooms and 128 Double rooms).

The bhawan is now a residing place for post graduate students (M.Sc., M.Tech., M.B.A., and Ph.D.) and research staffs (J.R.F., S.R.F., & R.A.) also operating as a transit accommodation for students. Ganga Bhawan, in spite of being the oldest in the institute provides the modern amenities and facilities to its residents and caters well to the needs of the 503 odd residents of the bhawan.



Sir Ganga Ram

Rai Bahadur Sir Ganga Ram (22 April 1851 – 10 July 1927) was an Indian civil engineer and architect. His extensive contributions to the urban fabric of Lahore, in modern Pakistan, have earned him the nickname “Father of modern Lahore.

Sir Ganga Ram was born in 1851 in Mangtanwala, a village of Punjab Province in British India (now in Pakistan). His father, Doulat Ram, was a junior Sub inspector at a Police Station in Mangtanwala. Later, he shifted to Amritsar and became a copy-writer of the Court. Here, Ganga Ram passed his matriculation examination from the Government High School and joined the Government College, Lahore in 1869. In 1871, he obtained a scholarship to the Thomason Civil Engineering College at Roorkee. He passed the final lower subordinate examination with the gold medal in 1873. He was appointed Assistant Engineer and called to Delhi to help in the building of the Imperial Assemblage.

In 1873, after a brief Service in Punjab P.W.D devoted himself to practical farming. He obtained on lease from Government 50,000 acres (200 km²) of barren, unirrigated land in Montgomery District, and within three years converted that vast desert into smiling fields, irrigated by water lifted by a hydroelectric plant and running through a thousand miles of irrigation channels, all constructed at his own cost. This was the biggest private enterprise of the kind, unknown and unthought-of in the country before. Sir Ganga Ram earned millions most of which he gave to charity.

In the words of Sir Malcolm Hailey, the Governor of Punjab, "He won like a Hero and gave like a Saint". He was a great engineer and a great philanthropist. In 1900,Sir Ganga Ram was selected by Lord Curzon to act as superintendent of works in the Imperial Durbarto be held in connection with the accession of King Edward VII. He finished the work at the Darbar managing its manifold problems and challenges. He retired prematurely from service in 1903.

He received the title of Rai Bahadur in 1903, and was appointed a Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire (CIE) on 26 June 1903 for his services at the Delhi Durbar. On 12 December 1911, in a special honours list after the 1911 Delhi Durbar, he was appointed a Member Fourth Class (present-day Lieutenant) of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO). He was knighted in the 1922 Birthday Honours list, and on 8 July was personally invested with his honour at Buckingham Palace by the King-Emperor George V.

He designed and built General Post Office, Lahore, Lahore Museum, Aitchison College, Mayo School of Arts (now the National College of Arts), Ganga Ram Hospital, Lahore 1921, Lady Mclagan Girls High School, the chemistry department of the Government College University, the Albert Victor wing of Mayo Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram High School (now Lahore College for Women), the Hailey College of Commerce (now Hailey College of Banking & Finance), Ravi Road House for the Disabled, the Ganga Ram Trust Building on "The Mall" and Lady Maynard Industrial School. He also constructed Model Town and Gulberg town, once the best localities of Lahore, the powerhouse at Renala Khurd as well as the railway track between Pathankot and Amritsar. Another hospital Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi was built in 1951 in his memory.

Today, his family through his sons and daughters reside across the world. Some of whom include Indu Vira, great grandson and also son of Dharma Vira the founder of the Sir Gangaram Hospital in New Delhi. His other great-grandson, Dr. Ashwin Ram is an Associate Professor in the School of Interactive computing in the College of Computing of the Georgia Institute of Technology, while his great-granddaughter, Shreela Flather, Baroness Flather, is a teacher and British politician.


Message From the desk of the Chief Warden


I am delighted to know that students of Ganga Bhawan plan to update website on the occasion of Bhawan day. Ganga Bhawan is having the capacity to accomodate about 470 students. Interestingly, it provides accomodation not only to /M.Tech./M.B.A./M.Sc./Ph.D students but also to all the students of prepratory course.. We also provide indoor/outdoor sports facilities in the Bhawan's premises for creating healthy environment and the personality development of the students. With best wishes Dr. M. Kameshwar Rao, Chief Warden, Ganga Bhawan IIT Roorkee


Dr. M.K. Rao

Cheif Warden

Ganga Bhawan

IIT - Roorkee

NOTICE BOARD


Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 1

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 2

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 3

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 4

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 5

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 6

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 7

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 8

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 9

Ganga Bhawan, NOTICE 10

Special Facilities

Provides modern amenities and facilities to its residents.

Washing Room Area

(C-Block, Fully automated 11am to 11pm)

Tailor Shop

(C-Block, Fully automated 11am to 11pm)

Barber Shop

(A-Block, 11am to 7pm)

Fruit Shop

(A-Block, 11am to 7pm)

Stationary Shop

(A-Block, 11am to 7pm)

Canteen

(Near C-Block, 2pm to 2am)

Bhawan Council Members

How can we work together?

Chief Warden

Dr. M. K. Rao Assistant Professor, DoMS, mkraofdm@iitr.ac.in, 01332-284759

Warden

Dr. N. Siva Mohan Reddy Assistant Professor, Chemical Engg., nsiva.fch@iitr.ac.in, 01332-284833

Residential Warden

Mrinmoy Sinha Research Scholar, MMED, msinha1@mt.iitr.ac.in

Supervisor

Ravi Giri

Bhawan Secretary

Saumya

Maintenance Secretary

Ankur Malik

Technical Secretary

Prakhar Shukla

Cultural Secretary

Prabhat Kumar Dubey

Sports Secretary

Shanidh

Mess Secretary

Ambik Kumar

Image Image Image Image