Institute Time Capsule

1840-1849
1850-1859
1860-1869
1870-1879
1880-1889
1890-1899
1900-1909
1910-1919
1920-1929
1930-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-ongoing

1840-1849

  • 1842 : Rurki was still a village on the banks of river Solani
  • 1842 : Construction of Ganga canal started
  • 1845 : Training school at Saharanpur started under the supervision of Baird Smith
  • 1847-1947 : The college remained as Thomason College of Engineering
  • 1847-1852 : Duration of first tenure of R Maclagan, the first Principal
  • 23 Sep 1847 : Sir James Thomason proposed for an Engineering College
  • 25 Nov 1847 : Notification by the government of North Western Province establishing college of Engineering at Roorkee
  • 25 Nov 1847 : College Prospectus was issued for the first time
  • 1 Jan 1848 : Roorkee College starts functioning
    1850-1859
  • 29 Aug 1851 : Plan for expansion of Roorkee college was submitted to the Governor General1852Printing Press established in the campus
  • 21 Sep 1853 : Sir James Thomason, L T Colonel of the government of NWP dies and the College was renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering
  • 7 Nov 1853:  Bengal Sappers and Miners moved to Roorkee
  • 1855: Central instruments depot established
  • 1857: Entrance test for the College was started
    1860-1869
  • 1860 : ECS Williams functions as the Principal
  • 1861: Municipality of Roorkee was created
  • 1863: J G Medley was appointed as the Principal
  • 1863: Professional papers on Indian Engineering was started by Principal Medley
  • 1864: Roorkee College was affiliated to Calcutta University
  • 1869: Coopers Hill college opened in England to train civil Engineers for services in India
    1870-1879
  • 1870: Publication of college calendar starts
  • 1871: AM Lang was appointed as the Principal who functioned till 1877
  • 1871: Engineering students mess was established properly
  • 1872: Football introduced into the campus
  • 1872: Polo introduced in the campus
  • 1873: Hockey introduced in the campus
  • 1873: Annual athletic meet introduced as an annual feature in the campus
  • 1875: Coopers Hill college renamed as Royal Indian Engineering college
  • 1875: Fees structure changed
  • 1877: Many tennis courts were made
  • 1878: Change in session from Nov-Aug to May-March
  • 1878: Military section of the college was abolished formally
  • 1879: Government of India proposes closure of Coopers hill college at England
  • 1879: Lower subordinate group divided into Group A and B
    1880-1889
  • 1880: Course for the Engineering students revised
  • 1880: Gymnasium was set up
  • 1882: Annual athletic meet temporarily abolished
  • 1883: Post of Professor of geology and experimental science was abolished
  • 1883: Assistant Engineers exams were suspended
  • 1883: Establishment of printing press was reduced
  • 1883 :Volunteer corps was abolished
  • 1886: Publication of professional paper ends
  • 1886: Professional papers on Indian Engineering ceased publication
  • 1889: Tennis club established by Indian students
    1890-1899
  • 1890: Swimming was started as a sport in the campus
  • 1891: Branderth relinquished charge
  • 1891: F D M Brown took charge as the Principal
  • 1892: Short course for the revenue officers set by the college
  • 1893: Course on Telegraphy Engg. was started
  • 1894: Roorkee College affiliated to Allahabad University
  • 1894: Orchid house was built
  • 1896: Lt Colonel Sir A P Macdonnel visits college to investigate plans to reorganise and expand it
  • 1896: Clock presented by Sir Bir Shamsher Jung Bahadur of Nepal set on the dome
  • 1896: Electrical and Mechanical apprentices class were started
  • 1897 : Two posts of assistant Principals abolished
  • 1897 : F W Sidwick joins as an instructor for Electrical Engg.
  • 1897 : Engineering courses were extended to three years from two years with civil and electrical disciplines
  • 1898 : Electricity comes to college
  • 1899 : W D Mclaren joins as an instructor for Mechanical Engg.
    1900-1909
  • 1901 : Fortnightly test were replaced by end of term exams
  • 1902 : Roorkee college wins Hockey shield six time in a row in the university tournament
  • 1905 : Affiliation to Allahabad University ends
  • 1907 : Royal Indian Engineering college closed down
  • 1909 : Electrification of the college is completed
  • 1909 : Courses on Electrical and Mechanical Engg. were started at par with Civil Engg. courses
  • 1909 : Chemical, Physical ,Mechanical and Mineralogical laboratories, Photomechanical Department, Power installation and electric light was inaugurated
    1910-1919
  • 1910 : A course on Textile Engg. was started
  • 1912 : Roorkee College was divested of all low level technical classes
  • 1913 : Association of the old boys of Thomason college was formed and called as the Thomason college Engineers Association
  • 20-Dec-17 : Whole Gymnasium and Convocation hall burns down due to faulty electric wiring during a red cross show
  • 1919 : Cricket in campus revived
  • 1919 : Thomason college Engineers Association collapses, Thomasonian publication comes to an end
  • 6-Jan-19 : Dispensary struck by lightening
    1920-1929
  • 1923 : Courses on Electrical and Mechanical Engineering were closed down
  • 1927 : Withdrawal of Guaranteed appointments to Roorkee boys during the period of Depression

    1930-1939
  • 1930 : European student mess closed
  • 1931 : College magezine Lion started
  • 1935 : First batch of Indian commissioned officers from IMA joined the college for Engg education
  • 1935 : Indian students messes were started
    1940-1949
  • 1941 : Roorkee university alumni association was established, earlier known as old boys association
  • 1943 : A unit of craftsmen called the technical pioneer force was formed
  • 1943 : A school of military Engg started functioning in the campus
  • 1946 : Electrical and Mechanical Engg courses were started and the college was renamed as Thomason college
  • 1947 : Central Building Research Institute established by CSIR
  • 1947 : The military school was shifted to Pune
  • 1948 : Roorkee university act was passed by the provincial legislature earlier this year
  • 1949 : Thomason college elevated to university status.
  • 25-Nov-49 : the university was inaugurated after 100 years of its establishment
  • 25-Nov-49 : Pandit Pant laid the foundation stone of a new building for the University lib.
    1950-1959
  • 28-Mar-50 : Dr.C.A Hart joined the university as Vice Chancellor
  • 10-Feb-51 : Foundation stone of a building of CBRI was laid
  • 1-Dec-52 : Foundation laid for the hall to be added to the student's club
  • 1-Feb-53 : Sri Bijawat became the Pro Vice Chancellor
  • 28-Feb-53 : Dr.C.A Hart resigned
  • 1953 : University staff association and club had it's beginning
  • 1954 : Sri Ajudhia Nath Khosla was appionted as Vice Chancellor
  • 1955 : College Magzine was renamed as Alumni Journal
  • 1-Nov-55 : Refresher course were formally inaugurated by Sri V.T.Krishnamchari
  • 25-Nov-55 : Pandit J.L.Nehru inaugurated WRDTC
  • 1956 : Adarsh Bal niketan came into existence
  • 1956 : Student Aid Loan Fund started
  • 1957 : Technical Assistant Course were run for two years
  • 1957 : Hobbies club came into existence
  • 1-Feb-57 : B.Arch was started in the middle of the session
  • Jun-57 : Telecommmunication Engg. Was sanctioned
  • 25-Nov-58 : Nehru was honoured the honorary degree of Doctor of Science
  • 1959 : Teacher training programme went on
  • 1959 : Rural housing wing was set up
  • Mar-59 : Foundation stone of NCC Building was laid
  • Aug-59 : Detailed sheme to establish Pilot Production-cum -training centre
  • 25-Nov-59 : Dr. Rajendra Prasad was similarly Honoured
  • 18-Dec-59 : Khosla relinquished the post of VC
  • 1959 : Building for a small hospital was built
    1960-1969
  • 1960 : SRTEE started functioning
  • 1960 : Duration of BE Courses were increased to 4years from 3 years consequently no batch passed in 1963
  • 15-Aug-60 : Separate departments for mathematics, physics, chemistry, geology and geophysics were constituted
  • 1961 : Department. of Architecture got a separate building for itself
  • 1961 : First award of doctorate was made : 20-Mar-61 : Shri Ghananad Pande joined as VC
  • 1962 : A block of building for geophysics and geology in one wing and another for earthquake was completed
  • 1962 : The chinese war threw the BE courses out of gear.
  • 1962 : The batch due to pass out in 1964 was accelerated to go out 5 months earlier in january
  • 1962 : The batch to be passed in 1965 got out in nov. 1964
  • 1962 : Employment information and guidance bureau was set up
  • 1962 : E.S recreation was renamed as Univ. Sports Association
  • 1962 : Gymnasium building came up
  • 1963 : The centenary gate was remodeled
  • 1963 : Five more ME courses were added to the existing 9 courses since 1958
  • 1963 : Commission for scientific and technical terminology set up a unit to evolve Hindi technical term, it was wound up in 1967
  • 1964 : Humanities section was started, it became a department in 1973
  • 1964 : Decision to wind up polytechnic, last batch passed out in 1966
  •  May-64 : Department. of telecommunication separated from electrical dept, it was renamed to electronics and communication
  • 16-Jun-64 : The foundation stone of DPT was laid
  • Oct-64 : IIT's pay scale were introduced in the university
  • 1965 : Painting and sculpture section was added to hobbies club
  • 1966 : The entrance test result was for the first time processed in computers
  • 1966 : Sri pande's term as VC came to an end
  • 1966 : A teachers hostel was built in Vikas nagar
  • 31-Jan-66 : The teacher's wing was closed
  • 26 Nov 66 : Dr. Zakir Hussain inaugurated the LBS, he was also honoured with degree of D.Sc
  • 18-Nov-67 : Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was honored with the degree of D.ENG, she inaugurated the S.block of E&C Department.
  • 1968 : Expansion in post -graduate courses, becoming 21
  • 2-Oct-68 : Mahila work Centre was established . Later renamed as Mahila work and welfare centre
  • 1969 : 25% seats got reserved for direct admission in UG courses
    1970-1979
  • 1970 : Horticulture and gardening section was added to Hobbies club
  • 1970 : Badminton court was completed
  • 1970 : Alaknanda club was opened, name was given in 1979
  • 1970 : D Class goes to strike on March 1st
  • 1971 : First batch of industrial branch was admitted
  • 1971 : Five year term of Sri Chopra come to an end
  • 1971 : QIP was set up in the university
  • 1971 : Dr . Jai Krishna was appointed as VC in September
  • 1972 : NSS was started
  • 1973 : The Mechanical departmant was renamed the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engg.
  • 1974 : Mangal Ram Memorial Open Billiards Championship started
  • 1974 : STREE was incorporated as one of the university's regular departments in April
  • 1974 : Constitution of RUSA was passed and it became operative in October
  • 1975 : E&C Tower was completed and inaugurated by VC Sri Reddy on 26-November
  • 1975 : Philately and numismatic section was added to hobbies club
  • 1976 : Traditional way of making all admission through exam was resumed
  • 1977 : Dr. Jagdish Narain joined as new Vice Chancellor
  • 1977 : Bloody fight between rival factions of students during RUSA election
  • 1977 : The non teaching staff went in a strike in May
  • 1978 : The university broke ground by taking over DPT(Saharanpur)as one of its integral parts
  • 1978 : College Magzine was renamed as Lion
  • 1978 : Stargazing section was added to hobbies club
  • 1979 : NIH was established in the campus of the Roorkee University
  • 1979 : The Roorkee University Regional Computer Centre started functioning in November
    1980-1989
  • 1980 : Students violence over the suicide of a 4th year student
  • 1981 : Welding research lab. Was established under Indo-German Technical Cooperation Program
  • 1982 : Centre for Microprocessor Application came into being
  • 1982 : AHEC was set up
  • 1982 : President of Tanzania Mr. Julius Neyrere and his wife visited the campus on 2nd April
  • 1983 : Duration of ME courses were reduced to one and half years from two years
  • 1983 : UG course in Computer Science and Technology was started
  • 1984 : AVRC was established
  • 1985 : Seven more centres were added
  • 1986 : The USIC (university science instrumentation centre) was recognised as a Instrumentation centre
  • 1986 : Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology
  • 1987 : E&C dept. was renamed as E&CE
  • 1987 : STEP Roorkee was registered as a society
  • 1989 : Three more centres were set up
    1990-1999
  • 9-Jan-90 : The constitution of the Roorkee school for the deaf was approved by the syndicate
  • 1992 : The construction of Rajendra Bhawan was completed
  • 1994 : A community centre was built near the hangar
  • 1996 : Another fifteen centres had been added to the list
  • 1996 : Information Superhighway Centre(ISC) was established
  • 1998 : Department of Manangement studies was started.
  • Top
    2000 - ongoing
  • 21 Sept 2001: The Roorkee University was converted to an IIT by an act of Parliament. Dr. D.V. Singh took over the charge of the First Director till the new Director was appointed.
  • 2001: Dr. Prem Vrat took over the charge as Director from Dr. D.V. Singh on 16th December 2001.
  • 2005: The construction of multistoried flats (now Hill View Apartments) was completed
  • 2005: Three Centre of Excellence, namely Nanotechnology, Disaster Mitigation and Transportation Systems (CTRANS) were established
  • 2005: For the 41st Inter IIT sports meet which was hosted by the Institute, the following works were carried out:-
  • 1. Renovation of the Sports Pavilion.
    2. Construction of three synthetic International standard Tennis Courts.
    3. Constriction of one synthetic International standard Basket ball Court with fencing and proper sitting and lighting arrangement.
    4. Constriction of a new Pavilion in the field where Hockey & Football matches are played.
    5. Night lighting was provided for the Cricket practice pitch, the new Tennis Courts, the Volleyball Courts and the Basket Ball Courts, to facilitate Cricket practice/coaching and holding of matches/practice in Tennis, Volleyball and Basketball, after sunset.
    6. Water proofing of the roof of the Badminton Courts and repairs to the wooden floor of the three Courts were completed.
    7. A new filtration plant and water aeration plant were provided fast the swimming pool.
    8. Renovation of LBS stadium (relaying of pitch, strengthening of sitting stairs, lighting and watering systems).
  • 2006: The construction of the Main Guest House (now NC Nigam House) was completed
  • 2006: Dr. S.C. Saxena joined as new Director on 1st June 2006
  • 2007: The construction of new Community Centre was completed
  • 2007: The construction of new Library building was completed
  • 2007: The renovation work of Convocation Hall (SWP Hangar) was completed
  • Top