Short Term Training Programme for Tearchers of Uttarakhand Technical University
Water Resources Development
1. Occurrence of water on earth and its movement – the Hydrologic Cycle, surface and ground water, importance of water resource management.
2. Surface Water
3. Diversion schemes
Diversion head works – components and their functions
Distraction of water-canal systems
Basics of canal alignment and design
Types of canal works-fall, regulators, cross drainage works etc.
Type of Dams and their suitability for different conditions
Basic design criteria and causes of failure
Types and their characteristics
Terminal structures – energy dissipation
5. Hydropower and related structures (water conductor system and powerhouse building)
6. Special problems of hilly streams
7. Ground Water
Occurrence and exploration
Classification of aquifers parameters
Preliminary well hydraulics and discharge computations
8. Decision support system in water resources – preliminary concepts
1. Introduction: Type of hydro-electric development, classification, techno economic studies for capacity size & type.
2. Hydraulic Turbines and Governor: Types, selection, characteristics, specification, testing
3. Hydro Generator and Excitation System: Types, selection, characteristics, specification, testing
4. Power Transformer: Types, characteristics, specification and testing
5. HV Circuit Breaker: Types, characteristics, specification and testing
6. Power evacuation arrangements, main single line diagram, interconnected with grid
7. Control & Protection: Protective relaying and metering of hydro generators, turbines, transformers, bus bars and outgoing feeders, control and monitoring system for turbines, generators, exciters, transformers, breakers, power plant start/ stop, running control and annunciation.
8. Electrical Auxiliaries: Auxiliaries power, DC system, power & control cables and cabling, lighting system, grounding system
9. Mechanical Auxiliaries: EOT crane, cooling water system, dewatering and drainage system, HP & LP compressed air system, fire protection, ventilation and air conditioning
10. Switchyard Equipment: Isolators, potential transformers, current transforms, lighting arrestors, switchyard and structures
11. Erection, commissioning and field testing renovation and modernization
Registration form (doc) (pdf)
*Registration form is same for both courses